5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 inch Screen blackouts after going in reverse

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I've had this same issue, but only on 3 separate days. The Nav is frozen in the spot where the truck is turned on and the icon is blinking. Then if you go into reverse and back to drive or park the screen will be black. I did not know about the trick with the lights or the locator so I will use those if it happens again. Hopefully an update comes out like they say it will. I like using the built in Nav and it would be annoying if it went out on a road trip or something like that.

DJR2019RAM

Reaction score
So I had the same issue described above with the Nav losing the satellites and black screen on reverse - this was about two days after the dealer actually finally updated the software on my infotainment. Searching through various posts I saw a note about disconnecting the ground/battery negative lead. Curious I decided to try it. I can say that initially I was worried i had screwed the system as all the functionality that was originally there was gone.... ventilated seats, power step, Sirius etc... well patience was my friend and when I got in the truck the next morning everything was restored - and strangely it was slightly different. I don't know if the software that was updated had fully taken or integrated with every other onboard system, but i'm guessing that might have been the case. Anyway to cut a long story short everything seems to be working as intended. I did need to restore some settings that had been defaulted but the Sirius stations were all there (associated with key fob). In all it was worth the 5 minute job of undoing the battery terminal, and overnight wait :) If it does it again however I will be trading this early 2019 MY (05/18) for a 2020 because everything else rocks.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
So I had the same issue described above with the Nav losing the satellites and black screen on reverse - this was about two days after the dealer actually finally updated the software on my infotainment. Searching through various posts I saw a note about disconnecting the ground/battery negative lead. Curious I decided to try it. I can say that initially I was worried i had screwed the system as all the functionality that was originally there was gone.... ventilated seats, power step, Sirius etc... well patience was my friend and when I got in the truck the next morning everything was restored - and strangely it was slightly different. I don't know if the software that was updated had fully taken or integrated with every other onboard system, but i'm guessing that might have been the case. Anyway to cut a long story short everything seems to be working as intended. I did need to restore some settings that had been defaulted but the Sirius stations were all there (associated with key fob). In all it was worth the 5 minute job of undoing the battery terminal, and overnight wait :) If it does it again however I will be trading this early 2019 MY (05/18) for a 2020 because everything else rocks.
This has happened to me three times now in my 5 months of ownership, the most recent being yesterday. Each time everything was fine the following day.

When you disconnect your battery it takes a couple hours for the satellite radio and seat functions to come back. I found that Sirius needs to be added back to the media screen and I needed to reset my base/middle/treble settings. Otherwise everything else was the same.

Grilleguy

Reaction score
I had the screen go black after putting the truck in reverse. Literally the second time I drove the truck on my way home from the dealership. I didn't reset the radio. I didn't unhook the battery. I only drove the truck home 7 hours. After the first gas stop, the Sirius half of the screen came back on (still played music even though it didn't show), but the Carplay App wouldn't recognize my phone. Got home went to bed. Drove the truck yesterday afternoon, all is good. CarPlay works again, Sirius works again, no further issues.... fingers crossed.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
So it happened to me again today on the way to work. I saw my gps icon was flashing so I put it in reverse and what do you know, black screen. Used the trick with the lights and got my screen back and then just plugged in my phone for Google maps. Came out of work 8 hours later and it was back to normal.

Has anyone had any luck with a better fix?

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
So the screen issue has happened to me the last two days in a row leaving work. I parked in the same spot under a metal parking cover that I know interferes with the satellite radio. I've had this issue even when parked out in the open so I dont think that is the issue. Has anyone figured out a way to get the NAV back? Is there any info on the software update? I'm worried this is starting to happen more frequently.

Mac MacIntyre

Reaction score
My 12 inch screen blacks out after going in reverse but the sound keeps playing. Every time this happens I shut down the radio and turn it back on for the screen to turn on. Does anyone have this problem? Is there an update for this? When this happens, my Nav system loses its location on the map. I checked online and inputted my VIN #, it says that my system is up to date.
I am having the EXACT same problem. Had map update installed last week at dealer and this happens every other day. Ended up here looking for a solution. Needless to say, I haven't found one yet. Dealer said "bring it in", which is what I am trying to avoid. Apparently, there is no soft reset with this system.

Striker99

Reaction score
I am having the EXACT same problem. Had map update installed last week at dealer and this happens every other day. Ended up here looking for a solution. Needless to say, I haven't found one yet. Dealer said "bring it in", which is what I am trying to avoid. Apparently, there is no soft reset with this system.
Since the OTA software update, I haven't had any issues.

gwarrior4u

Reaction score
OTA update to version 19 fixes the screen blackout issue (and others).

Users who are viewing this thread