5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.1" Uconnect Backorder?? Battery drain issue

SWI_Don

Reaction score
I took my truck into the dealer on May 28 to deal with the Uconnect rebooting periodically and draining the battery overnight. They diagnosed it, and determined the radio was drawing excessive amps. It's going to be closing in on a month with no truck waiting for a replacement radio to show up. Is anyone else seeing these issues?

When I would charge it prior to starting it would pull high pull a high amp load on the charger for an extended period where typically a dead battery would start out higher and amperage will taper down as the battery charged. This one would taper down some but was still pulling pretty high amps after several hours on the charger.

SWI_Don

Reaction score
Talked to the dealer today. Hopefully, my radio comes in next week. Sounds like they had a second truck with the same problem come in a week after mine. They have been having a lot of problems getting parts from the automakers. They sell both GM and FCA brands and they are both having trouble fulfilling parts orders.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Talked to the dealer today. Hopefully, my radio comes in next week. Sounds like they had a second truck with the same problem come in a week after mine. They have been having a lot of problems getting parts from the automakers. They sell both GM and FCA brands and they are both having trouble fulfilling parts orders.
how did it go?

Ripcurl134

Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealer the last week of June. There is now a 3+ month backlog. My ETA for a replacement radio is October 14th.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
If they have it for more than a month (depends on state), I'd look into your lemon law. No relatively new vehicle should be down for a over a month waiting parts.

Ripcurl134

Reaction score
If they have it for more than a month (depends on state), I'd look into your lemon law. No relatively new vehicle should be down for a over a month waiting parts.
I have the vehicle. They gave it back to me, but I still have to wait for the part.

SWI_Don

Reaction score
I haven't had my vehicle since May 28. I haven't even had a loaner since they had too many vehicles waiting for parts. Looks like Iowa is 20 days of problems. Looks like I need to tell them they have 10 days to fix at this point.

SWI_Don

Reaction score
how did it go?
So far they are still waiting on the new parts. I confirmed that yesterday. I'm going to talk to the dealership tomorrow about the documentation to file a lemon complaint to FCA. It should drive some action I hope.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m so glad I passed on the 12“ one thing after another posts all over the place and you still see people working so hard to upgrade the 8” to the 12 that we all know is obsolete already for 2021 and not upgradable to unconnected 5. Unreal.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I’m so glad I passed on the 12“ one thing after another posts all over the place

Well....you rolls the dice and you takes your chances. So far I have not had any problems with mine and I love it...especially being able to split the screen and keep the NAV up with rhe SIRIUSXM.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong I really wanted the 12 it just didn’t work for me in the deal on a particular truck and I would have had to order and wait to build. It was the just before Rebel 12 time.

Ripcurl134

Reaction score
I am going to have to go lemon law route too. FCA customer service has been nothing but awful. They promise a call back and you never get one. I'm still waiting for my case manager to get back to me from June.

RamNV

Reaction score
I have the same issues with my 2020 Limited. Apparently there was a recall on the radio frequency hub that I didn’t know about that was causing the 12” uconnect to stay on, along with the screen on the dash. When the 12” screen stayed on it was black and appeared to be off. This caused the battery to drain overnight.

Of course this started happening on a Friday night and by the time I got the truck into the service department, it drained a couple of times. Most of the time i lost functionality of cameras, intermittently operating head lights and tail lights, etc. But one time the battery drained to the point that the Uconnect came back as a base stock truck, no longer showing “limited” functionality...everything making it a limited was missing.

They’ve swapped the radio with another new truck from the lot to see if that would work...no luck. Don’t know what they’re going to try next, but I’m growing really concerned about owning this truck. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I have the same issues with my 2020 Limited. Apparently there was a recall on the radio frequency hub that I didn’t know about that was causing the 12” uconnect to stay on, along with the screen on the dash. When the 12” screen stayed on it was black and appeared to be off. This caused the battery to drain overnight.

Of course this started happening on a Friday night and by the time I got the truck into the service department, it drained a couple of times. Most of the time i lost functionality of cameras, intermittently operating head lights and tail lights, etc. But one time the battery drained to the point that the Uconnect came back as a base stock truck, no longer showing “limited” functionality...everything making it a limited was missing.

They’ve swapped the radio with another new truck from the lot to see if that would work...no luck. Don’t know what they’re going to try next, but I’m growing really concerned about owning this truck. Fingers crossed.
I have only one thing to say about this......WTF?

Snwjnky

Reaction score
I've been waiting over 2 months as well. They say backlog.
I suggested they pull a radio from the lot, and make that truck wait for a replacement. They say it won't work because each radio is programmed to the VIN because not every truck is the same. Different builds and features.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@RamCares should be able to help expedite these parts. Did it for me with a brake TSB.

Wilrob

Reaction score
My 2019 ram 1500 is doing the exact same thing. Radio started by cycling on and off and since I have over 30k miles they weren't willing to diagnose it really. Now my battery is being drained overnight and they reduced that it's the radio. They are stringinging me along saying they are trying to get it covered under warranty but I know they will not. What was the final verdict on yours? Did it work?

Dominator211

Reaction score
Yes I can attest to this, The navigation in my mom's 2013 Durango went out suddenly so she needed a replacement. Even that took two weeks and it still isn't totally perfect, but I digress.

Users who are viewing this thread