5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.1 Radio Obsolete already!

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought this truck thinking this 12" screen would be flag shipped and taken care of. I am a beta tester for anything android has Pixel related. On its best day this screen is a beta version at best. The sad part is it acts so different everyday. I knew I was getting new tech but the said part is it isn't as good as my 2016 8.4N other than it has AA. They could at least fix the current issues!

Can't speak to AA but Carplay works as well or better on this unit than it ever did on Ford's Sync3.

revvr

Reaction score
Hey folks. Considering purchasing a Ram with the 12" screen, but now I'm concerned about it. Between reports of buggyness and now this being obsolete, I'm not too sure if the 8.4 is the way to go.

When you saw this is now obsolete, what exactly do you mean? That it will no longer get updates of any kind or that it will not be getting new features?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Hey folks. Considering purchasing a Ram with the 12" screen, but now I'm concerned about it. Between reports of buggyness and now this being obsolete, I'm not too sure if the 8.4 is the way to go.

When you saw this is now obsolete, what exactly do you mean? That it will no longer get updates of any kind or that it will not be getting new features?

The current uconnect version/software is obsolete not the radio itself, see article below. You also don’t get vehicle health reports with the 12” system. Sirius xmguardian service will Cost you $250+ annually after the first 12 months where it costs less than $100 with other brands in the FCA family. Same features and same services was less than $80 for my 2017 Jeep Cherokee.

I would wait until this fall to see if the new gen 5 uconnect system is included with the truck. Otherwise if you’re determined to get the truck now go with the 8.4 system as it seems more feature rich and features can be added to it.

revvr

Reaction score
That article is fantastic. Looks like I will wait then. Thanks for the heads up!

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That article is fantastic. Looks like I will wait then. Thanks for the heads up!

Longer you wait the better it will be...but the longer you'll be without the nicest truck on the market. :unsure:

revvr

Reaction score
Agreed, this is always the big question. However, I'm in a good position. I still have time left on a great lease and the android auto over wifi is a significant upgrade for me. I'm cool waiting until fall and pull the trigger when a great deal shows up.

My lease isn't up until next year, so I have time. I was planning to get the truck and keep my current lease, but it makes too much sense to wait.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Agreed, this is always the big question. However, I'm in a good position. I still have time left on a great lease and the android auto over wifi is a significant upgrade for me. I'm cool waiting until fall and pull the trigger when a great deal shows up.

My lease isn't up until next year, so I have time. I was planning to get the truck and keep my current lease, but it makes too much sense to wait.

Well said @revvr. I will say the radio is great to look at and have as it is now BUT waiting until the new system comes out with its new features and capabilities should be worth the wait. I’ll be working to pay mine down so that for 2022 model I’ll be able to trade in and upgrade again. I’ll be chomping at the bit until then and driving the banker(wife) crazy about it. :ROFLMAO: ;)

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Just wait for the cyber truck guys then you can get the big Tesla screen and play fortnite while it drives you around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Just wait for the cyber truck guys then you can get the big Tesla screen and play fortnite while it drives you around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Always 1 smart@55 around. Go waste your money on an outdated system instead of waiting 4-6 months for a newer better system.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
Could be worse. My wife's Audi, which we just finished lemon lawing, came with Google Earth in the digital ****pit cluster. Shortly after we purchased it in 2018 we found out Google Earth would go away in 2 years because the hardware would no longer support it.

This was a highly marketed feature and they knew it was going to get yanked even when they sold us the car. 2019s had the newer hardware but no one said a thing about it. We could have waited just a few months and gotten the new hardware. It was a pretty sucky situation.

Fortunately it's no longer our problem and I'll probably never buy another Audi.

They are all doing similar things. I guess they figure it'll drive new sales... And it might.

Same happened to me with an Acura. 2017 MDX didn't have car play...salesman was spouting that they would be upgrading to it in 2018 and i could upgrade the software at that time. Total BS, of course, but it always bugged me. Happy ending though: my Ram has car play and I actually don’t like it!:ROFLMAO: I prefer Siri HF (as long as I have cell/internet!) and never use car play.

RAMpage

Reaction score
These things have the lifespan of computer parts these days... if you always keep waiting for the new and improved version to come out you'll never own one. When I bought my 2015 truck I had the dealership sign on the bill of sale that the Carplay update would be released for the 8.4 system that it had... HA! Was a waste of ink and they know people won't bother trying to take them to court over that.

My first 2019 Rebel had the 8.4" and my current one is the 12". I'd take the 12" every single day over the 8.4". The only feature the 8.4" had over the 12" that I noticed was the vehicle health report in the UConnect app but since that UConnect app is garbage anyways (and will cost way too much once the trial is over) I couldn't care less about that health report. If I need to see my tire pressure, fuel level, oil life, etc - I will just look at it when I am in the truck (which is daily). Problem solved and also get the nice big screen to enjoy!

revvr

Reaction score
So being able to see vehicle health is reliant on having a sub to uconnect?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
So being able to see vehicle health is reliant on having a sub to uconnect?

Yes it is and currently isn’t available nor will it be for the foreseeable future. Maybe with the new gen 5 version they’ll include it on the 12” but will still be tied to a $250 annual subscription.

myles

Reaction score
So I emailed the head of Ram Sales USA division Reid Bigland and asked why the 12.1 radio cant even get the same features as the other radios such as Mopar marketplace and how it’s a shame that they are already dumping the current Uconnect software for the android based version .
Well the executive response team has been reaching out to me and we have been playing phone tag, but they left me a voicemail stating that the 12.1 radio doesn’t have the ram or space for the other features and it will not be getting them. He then went on to confirm that we will not be able to upgrade our radios to the new one once it comes out.
This is flat out crap, I understand the Uconnect 5, but not being able to receive some of the other Uconnect features that the 8.4 gets is flat out pathetic . I will never buy a ram again. You would have thought their infotainment engineers would have made that discovery about the Ram and space before it went to production . For some this won’t bother you, but for me we have the top end radio and can’t even get basic features like vehicle health reports or the Mopar market and that is inexcusable. Rant over lol!
Unfortunately this is pretty common in all technology, with how fast tech advances it only takes a few months for something to become obsolete. A new best camera on a phone or fastest computer processor comes out every few months. Its just how it is, the next best thing is always right around the corner.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I GUARANTEE you all that the new version 5 radio with the Android OS will be extremely buggy and, most likely, far worse than what we all have today. Great features are being touted but it takes a year plus to get the bugs worked out of all of these new radios and, in some cases, longer...just read the Acura forums plus others. They rush these things to market and they just aren't ready for prime time.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
All electronics are basically outdated the moment they roll off the line, be it Uconnect, Apple Watch, or a Nikon D6.
There will always be something that’s better, cheaper, faster. That’s just reality, specially at the rate technology advances nowadays.
On the other hand, my Swiss mechanical timepiece will be relevant for decades, same with my E61 manual espresso maker.

If the current infotainment system works well (mine is pretty perfect after the last update a few days ago) than that’s a win in my book. I understand that the next gen Uconnect will more than likely be better for sure, with wireless CarPlay and AA, better mapping, faster response, higher res, etc, etc.

If you have issues, take it to the dealer, otherwise, enjoy your truck and quit worrying about what-ifs. Life’s too short :)

Last edited:

Rototerrier

Reaction score
If you want constant updates, gotta get a tesla. Otherwise, gotta just be happy with what we got. It's not like previous generations got updates! You got the radio that came with it and that was the end of the line and no one was complaining. Didn't like it, upgrade to an aftermarket. Always been that way. My 03 still has the original radio, it's never gotten a single update.

Kizzo02

Reaction score

I decided to wait as well. I'm in a good position and can wait until Uconnect 5 arrives on the RAM. It is a significant upgrade on a new platform and will include wireless CarPlay.

Last edited:

ktl5005

Reaction score
***Cue the "This Unconnect 5 system sucks, buggy, glitchy"etcetc now LOL. I can see multiple threads already being made months from now when it is finally rolled out (which likely won't be until next year) that it has the same bugginess at the current system does. LOL

Venom700

Reaction score

I’m in the same boat. Waiting on the specs for the 2021s and will order one if the upgrade is there. No rush as I have a lease ending early 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread