5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.1” Uconnect intermittent pauses

d_THRILL

Reaction score
So my 12” UConnect system decided today to pause audio every few seconds on all media types. (I.e. SiriusXM, AM, FM, USB, CarPlay, Bluetooth AND CD. Every available option). What happens is the audio will come through for about 2 seconds and then pause for 1. This is non-stop. I’ve powered the screen on and off and powered the truck on and off numerous times to no avail. My entertainment is essentially gone. Very frustrated. See video here

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That’s weird.
Whenever I’ve had UConnect issues in the past, leaving the truck off for about 30-45 minutes would reset the blank screen, etc. Thaty might do it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Spoke too soon. Started doing it again on the ride home. Balls
That stinks. Might want to try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to do a good reset. If that doesn't fix it, next step is the dealer.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue on mine this morning, but on a 8.4NAV screen. I also noticed that the VR button no longer works, and the rear backup camera guidance lines are no longer visible (although they are enabled in settings).

I'm letting the truck sit for an hour or so, then will try again. If that doesn't work, then I'll disconnect the negative terminal. I couldn't find a definitive answer on this forum on how to reset the uConnect system.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue on mine this morning, but on a 8.4NAV screen. I also noticed that the VR button no longer works, and the rear backup camera guidance lines are no longer visible (although they are enabled in settings).

I'm letting the truck sit for an hour or so, then will try again. If that doesn't work, then I'll disconnect the negative terminal. I couldn't find a definitive answer on this forum on how to reset the uConnect system.
Yeah, not sure how to do a proper reset on these units (8 or 12"). Post back to let us know how it went.

Cheers,

d_THRILL

Reaction score

Well, I'm happy I'm not going crazy! Sorry it's happened to you, too. Yes, the VR button and the rear backup guidance lines and magnification won't work either when the 12'' screen is doing this. My drive into work this morning was fine. But it can very well be a different story on the way home.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy I'm not going crazy! Sorry it's happened to you, too. Yes, the VR button and the rear backup guidance lines and magnification won't work either when the 12'' screen is doing this. My drive into work this morning was fine. But it can very well be a different story on the way home.
That stinks. Sorry for both of you. Please post back with any changes.

Cheers,

d_THRILL

Reaction score

Any update on your end, Rick? Don't want to jinx myself, but all has been good for a few days now on my end.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I'm happy to report that this issue has not re-surfaced.

I originally experienced the issue early Friday morning. I tried turning on/off the system and shutting down the vehicle completely (including closing/locking doors). It appears that only after parking it for about 2 hours, it resolved itself. I have driven the truck throughout rest of that day, and into the weekend without issue.

I'll of course update this thread if the issue arises again, but hopefully not. I will also have this noted on my service records with the dealer, in case it happens again or if a TSB/recall happens.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I'm happy to report that this issue has not re-surfaced.

I originally experienced the issue early Friday morning. I tried turning on/off the system and shutting down the vehicle completely (including closing/locking doors). It appears that only after parking it for about 2 hours, it resolved itself. I have driven the truck throughout rest of that day, and into the weekend without issue.

I'll of course update this thread if the issue arises again, but hopefully not. I will also have this noted on my service records with the dealer, in case it happens again or if a TSB/recall happens.
Glad to hear. Yeah... These things are temperamental sometimes. Price of early adoption, but good news is that they release updates all the time that can fix most issues OTA.

Cheers,

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Well, I guess "hoping it doesn't come back" doesn't work. The issue came back this morning, but again, I'm letting the truck sit for about 1-2 hours to see if it resolves itself again. Same exact symptoms - audio is intermittent, no VR, and no rear backup camera lines.

Just as a note - both these issues arose on Friday and Tuesday (today) mornings when I used remote start. Both occurrences were also the first start of the truck for that day, where it was cold enough to require the heated seats/steering wheel to activate.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Just as a note - both these issues arose on Friday and Tuesday (today) mornings when I used remote start.

Now that you mention it, each time it happened to me it was when I remoted started it from my key fob. I've remote started the truck from the Guardian app with no issues, but with key fob that's when I run into the issue. I've also used the key fob for remote start, where the heated seat and steering wheel kicked on and didn't have any issues. I guess it's hit or miss. Nonetheless, its good that we're getting this narrowed down.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Forgot to also mention - I've used the remote start before many times over, but never had the issue until now. I'm wondering if the cold temps and the system set to turn on the heated seats / steering wheel had something to do with it, but I remember a few times its done it without issue, and with yours doing the same, it may not be the culprit.

I am going to disable the option for heated seats / steering wheel for remote start to see if that does anything. If that doesn't work, at least I know letting the truck sit for an hour or two will temporarily resolve the issue, as the truck is working fine again now.

FWIW - mine is a Canadian spec 2019 Rebel with 8.4 nav.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
So I’m able to confirm that this happens ONLY when I use remote start from the key fob. It does not matter if the heated seat or steering wheel is activated. At least not on my part. It has never happened to me using the guardian app or manually push starting the truck. Most recently happened to me again yesterday after using the key fob to remote start the truck.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Same here. I tested over the weekend and it happened again, while ONLY using the remote start on the key fob.

Again, I've used the remote start before without issue. This only started happening when the temperatures got below 5*C.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
UPDATE:
Wanted to note that this issue happened again, but this time not using the remote start on the fob. This was a normal start using the push button ignition while in the vehicle.

Right now I think the issue is when the vehicle starts up (regardless of normal ignition or remote start), and when any uConnect systems turn on at the same time as ignition (heated seats / steering wheel, radio, etc), we start experiencing this issue. For now I've disabled auto heat features on remote start, and when starting the vehicle I wait for it to fully start before turning on the uConnect system. We'll see how this works.

As a note, when I experienced this issue yesterday I pressed the start engine/ignition button, then I immediately powered on the radio and all heated seats / steering wheel.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
UPDATE:
Wanted to note that this issue happened again, but this time not using the remote start on the fob. This was a normal start using the push button ignition while in the vehicle.

Right now I think the issue is when the vehicle starts up (regardless of normal ignition or remote start), and when any uConnect systems turn on at the same time as ignition (heated seats / steering wheel, radio, etc), we start experiencing this issue. For now I've disabled auto heat features on remote start, and when starting the vehicle I wait for it to fully start before turning on the uConnect system. We'll see how this works.

As a note, when I experienced this issue yesterday I pressed the start engine/ignition button, then I immediately powered on the radio and all heated seats / steering wheel.

Rick, it's like we're on the same exact page! Two days ago this happened to me again but NOT using the key fob to remote start. rather just regular push-button start. I, too, think it has something to do with starting up the Uconnect while everything is still booting. Too many things going on at once. I was wondering if plugging my phone in (USB C) immediately after pushing the start button is causing this (even when we remote start, we still have to push start button once we get in the truck). So now I wait to plug my phone in once everything is booted. I also didn't start experiencing these intermittent pauses until I started using USB C cord. So I went back to my regular USB cord, for now, to see how that works out. I feel like we're little lab rats trying to get to the bottom of this! I don't think I can place blame on the heated seats and/or steering wheel at startup. Most of the time when this happens to me, heated seats or steering wheel are a non-factor because they don't kick on due to the outside temp not dropping below the threshold point where they would kick on. I'm also thinking maybe it has something to do with Bluetooth because our phones immediately try to connect to the truck once the push button (or remote start) has engaged. This may be causing frequency interference. Once, I was in my basement working and I turned on my iTunes to listen to some music but nothing was coming out. I checked my Bluetooth settings and low and behold my phone was connected to the RAM's system which was completely off and hadn't been driven or turned on in over 6 hours. Was crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread