5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

0w 20 oil, to my surprise

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been using 0w-20 on my own taster minivan for years. My 2010 and 2019 Ram are 5w-20. Not sure why they changed. Probably has to do with mileage even though it won’t make a difference.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
I'm just tired of explaining multiweight oil on forums. I give up. Run whatever you want. But please before you post "I got HEMI tick at xx,ooo miles" please inform us that you ran the WhateverTF oil in your engine.

0w at cold temps will still be thicker than 20w at 200*. It is not/will not be water.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just tired of explaining multiweight oil on forums. I give up. Run whatever you want. But please before you post "I got HEMI tick at xx,ooo miles" please inform us that you ran the WhateverTF oil in your engine.

0w at cold temps will still be thicker than 20w at 200*. It is not/will not be water.
There are people who are still dead set on only using SAE40 oil in everything they own.....

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are people who are still dead set on only using SAE40 oil in everything they own.....
Yep. I still see a similar mindset with the 2 stroke dirt bike crowd. They are hopelessly stuck in the 70's.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yep, otherwise she'll seize up.

It’s cold. So I switched to 1:1
e888f75a5990df06e42a515d4055e885.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know a guy who is a very good mechanic. He told me he puts 20w50 in his trucks...:rolleyes:

Some people just don't understand how oil works.
Thicker is better, right? i’m just going to use this from now on
B19DE627-5EF2-4EBD-B1B4-278863B0C249.jpeg

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really think it's just another way of squeaking .001 MPG more out of a 'cold' engine. Thinner oil when cold = less friction.
Plus, all things being equal, the 0W20 is going to break down faster than the 5W20.
The larger the spread between cold and hot numbers means the additives in the oil are working harder to change back and forth between weights.
0W20 = 20 vs. 5W20 = 15

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
I really think it's just another way of squeaking .001 MPG more out of a 'cold' engine. Thinner oil when cold = less friction.
Plus, all things being equal, the 0W20 is going to break down faster than the 5W20.
The larger the spread between cold and hot numbers means the additives in the oil are working harder to change back and forth between weights.
0W20 = 20 vs. 5W20 = 15
That was true years ago when oils were built primarily out of Group I and/or Group II base stocks that needed high treat rates of viscosity index improvers in order to meet the intended viscosity range. The VII's are what sheared and broke down. Modern synthetic 0W-XX oils are made with Group III, III+ and/or IV and can be built with little or no VII's, plus the VII's used today are much higher quality than in the past. That's why some manufacturers of vehicles with very high performance engines recommend using 0W-40 in them, like the Corvette, SRT Hellcat and Porsches. The Porsche A40 spec is one of the toughest to meet and is done with 0W-40 oils.

0W-20 is also recommended in some turbocharged engines that are tougher on oil than the 5.7L Hemi is.

U

User_3336

i decided to do my first oil change early, around 2000 miles and to put in Penzoil Ultra Platinum with a Napa gold filter. did some research here and elsewhere, checked the manual, bought the oil and brought it to my fav oil change place. he said that you got the wrong oil. i said pardon? impossible. i look at the filler cap and it says 0 20. i was shocked. he said this was the case more and more with newer trucks. so i called the service dept at the dealer and they confirmed, 0w 20. so thin!

despite the manual and everything else i've read, my 2022 Ram Big Horn 5.7 takes 0 20 oil. i wonder if this is a spec for northern climates and Canada? it rarely get's much below freezing where i live in BC, so not nearly as cold as many northern US states. anyways, i was very surprised, though the oil change guy (the owner, a great guy, long in the business) said he wasn't as it's more and more common, but a departure from a few years ago.
Silverado has used 0w-20 for a few years now. Titan and Frontier have used 0w-20 for the past few years as well (V6 and V8). Doesn't seem surprising that '22 Ram went that way. Probably only time before Ford will.

U

User_3336

0W20 = 20 vs. 5W20 = 15
Mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance 0w-20 is rated for 10,000 miles. Can you provide some documentation/studies that 0w-20 breaks down quicker than 5w-20?????

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Silverado has used 0w-20 for a few years now. Titan and Frontier have used 0w-20 for the past few years as well (V6 and V8). Doesn't seem surprising that '22 Ram went that way. Probably only time before Ford will.
Toyota has been recommending 0w-20 for a few years also.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Ford was actually the first to spec 5W-20 in the full size truck category, all the way back in 2001. Ford does actually sell their own 0W-20 Motorcraft branded oil, on the label it states it is recommended for 2013 model year and newer hybrid electric and below -20F where 5W-20 is recommended. I won't be surprised when they start speccing it for all their new vehicles that currently use 5W-20.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance 0w-20 is rated for 10,000 miles. Can you provide some documentation/studies that 0w-20 breaks down quicker than 5w-20?????
Actually M1 EP states it can provide protection for up to 20,000 miles, but I get your point. Probably the best off the shelf 20 grade oil available.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread