5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Dual function” tailgate exists

saxapl

Reaction score
It’s on. The brackets are off. The two cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

I firmly believe the cap will add whatever rigidity is necessary. But the issue needs to be addressed in the future.

Attachments

• F3E543B8-E4BE-4F45-B93B-A2A1E48AF57D.jpeg
    F3E543B8-E4BE-4F45-B93B-A2A1E48AF57D.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 90
Reaction score
I just purchased a Longhorn edition with Rambox and MFT. I really like the MFT. Mine does have a little issue (not really a big deal) where if you don't close the tail gate hard enough in "standard" mode (drop the tail gate per normal operation), the short door side won't latch properly. You have to close it with a little more authority. I will say that i always know when i didn't close it properly because a light will flash up on my dash showing me the tail gate is open if that one side didn't latch properly.

Overall, i really like the functionality. I wish it came with the center retractable step they showed when they debuted the new features. It's not the end of the world, though. I've ordered a step for the hitch since i don't typically tow that often.

Note: the Rambox version does NOT have those braces at the front like the standard bed models. I'm guessing whatever they are there for, the extra paneling required for the Rambox provides the necessary support that it's not required.

Longhorn

Reaction score
Apologies for the lack of quality. The one odd thing is the braces at the front of the bed. I believe they are part of the tailgate package...presumably to stiffen the bedsides when the barn doors are open. No one at the dealer had the answer. I have not seen them before, so I am guessing a tailgate necessity. View attachment 29355 View attachment 29356 View attachment 29357 View attachment 29358 View attachment 29359 View attachment 29360 View attachment 29361 View attachment 29362 View attachment 29363 View attachment 29364
So MSRP 69735. what did you end up paying on that truck excluding all other taxes and fees? just trying to get an idea what they are going for. Thanks.

LouCap

Reaction score
It’s on. The brackets are off. The two cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

I firmly believe the cap will add whatever rigidity is necessary. But the issue needs to be addressed in the future.

Agreed, they need to come up with a solution. You're a braver man than I am. After two weeks with mine off, I was afraid I'd void the warranty and back on they went. That being said though, the cap looks great!

saxapl

Reaction score
So MSRP 69735. what did you end up paying on that truck excluding all other taxes and fees? just trying to get an idea what they are going for. Thanks.

$52k with a free trailer brake controller install.

saxapl

Reaction score
Agreed, they need to come up with a solution. You're a braver man than I am. After two weeks with mine off, I was afraid I'd void the warranty and back on they went. That being said though, the cap looks great!

Everyone is so worried about warranty denial on the forums. I would need a psychiatrist if my dealer drove me to that level of paranoia. My dealer is great, thus they have gotten my repeat business.

I cannot imagine any damage I will do that the braces would prevent, thus I am not worried about warranty. I do not plan to do the Andre and hang on the open barn door.

Besides, the cap makes the bedsides more rigid than the braces ever could.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the retractable tonneau? They are almost like a giant brace themselves.

flynfish

Reaction score
I’m really annoyed there aren’t any options available...hoping they will have some soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LouCap

Reaction score
I’m really annoyed there aren’t any options available...hoping they will have some soon.

I've been using the Gator Hybrid for about a month now, and it works with the braces in place.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I think it’s a little soon to be annoyed given they’ve only been on dealer lots for a few weeks. Give it a little bit I’m sure someone come up with something with an integrated bed bracket.

flynfish

Reaction score
I think it’s a little soon to be annoyed given they’ve only been on dealer lots for a few weeks. Give it a little bit I’m sure someone come up with something with an integrated bed bracket.

Good point, forgot they just came out

flynfish

Reaction score
I've been using the Gator Hybrid for about a month now, and it works with the braces in place.

Good to know. I just scrolled back through and saw the pic of it on your truck. Do you mind takin some more pics from some other angles? Just want to get a better idea how it looks on the truck.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered a peragon cover, they have a 100 day free shipping return. The way it is laid out it might, just might fit with the brackets on since it doesn't have anything going down the rail. I will keep you all posted with photos.

flynfish

Reaction score
I ordered a peragon cover, they have a 100 day free shipping return. The way it is laid out it might, just might fit with the brackets on since it doesn't have anything going down the rail. I will keep you all posted with photos.

Those look pretty nice. Watching a video of them though it doesn’t seem like it would fit because of the brackets. How would it collapse all the way to the front of the bed to lay flat against the front wall if the brackets are there?

I’m hoping it works of course

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those look pretty nice. Watching a video of them though it doesn’t seem like it would fit because of the brackets. How would it collapse all the way to the front of the bed to lay flat against the front wall if the brackets are there?

I’m hoping it works of course

It'll be close, so if you look at the very last "panel" it sits about 3" away from the bulkhead, so really it sits about 3" away from the front of the bed, which i am hoping it clears the bracket, if it does not, i am going to try to fabricate some thinner brackets .

LouCap

Reaction score
Good to know. I just scrolled back through and saw the pic of it on your truck. Do you mind takin some more pics from some other angles? Just want to get a better idea how it looks on the truck.

Here you go!
194099cbb63422a4fe34f6b5c74c8965.jpg
2041b0a7bd38d049e5f3f42f57964471.jpg
2ab781119e64e1d379c842007647e940.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

flynfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! So it looks like the cover isn’t sitting right on top of the bed? What I mean is it looks like there is a gap or space underneath it?

LouCap

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! So it looks like the cover isn’t sitting right on top of the bed? What I mean is it looks like there is a gap or space underneath it?

Not really a gap, although I could see how it looks that way. There's a thick weather seal under there. I'll grab a pic later today. So far, my cover hasn't leaked, and that's really saying something given the gaps at the tailgate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online