5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Dual function” tailgate exists

LouCap

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! So it looks like the cover isn’t sitting right on top of the bed? What I mean is it looks like there is a gap or space underneath it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Here is a look at the underside and closer when sealed.
9773b0ecbdf27d7469cc060f4720eff0.jpg
afe2982c7009c012ef2d1059dadc8f13.jpg
f8ce8685ebdc165df236472235ff6202.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

flynfish

Reaction score
Ok that makes sense, thx for the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cram

Reaction score
So from what I’ve read in this thread... only the Gator Hybrid, or diamondback tonnoau covers will work with front brackets on the bed?

DrAudio

Reaction score
So from what I’ve read in this thread... only the Gator Hybrid, or diamondback tonnoau covers will work with front brackets on the bed?

Who said that the Diamondback fits? I need to know If it does because I was I ordered one but sent an email with pics of the support brackets and asked if they would interfere with the front section under rail locking mechanism. They thought it might so they canceled my order until they could inspect one up close. They said that they may have to re-engineer a cover for my non-Rambox model possibly. I’m bummed because I ordered mine without Rambox because I wanted a Diamondback with the better weathertight properties and to mount a rooftop tent. That was last week and no word back from the Diamondback engineer I spoke with and my truck has been shipped. My special edition Limited with black appearance package comes with a factory soft tonneau that I don’t want so the dealer is giving me credit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cram

Reaction score
Who said that the Diamondback fits? I need to know If it does because I was I ordered one but sent an email with pics of the support brackets and asked if they would interfere with the front section under rail locking mechanism. They thought it might so they canceled my order until they could inspect one up close. They said that they may have to re-engineer a cover for my non-Rambox model possibly. I’m bummed because I ordered mine without Rambox because I wanted a Diamondback with the better weathertight properties and to mount a rooftop tent. That was last week and no word back from the Diamondback engineer I spoke with and my truck has been shipped. My special edition Limited with black appearance package comes with a factory soft tonneau that I don’t want so the dealer is giving me credit.

I’m going based off of what I read oat the bottom of page 6 on this thread. It doesn’t seem to be confirmed that the diamondback would fit, more of an assumption. I too am looking to add the diamondback cover on top of these brackets.

LouCap

Reaction score
I’m going based off of what I read oat the bottom of page 6 on this thread. It doesn’t seem to be confirmed that the diamondback would fit, more of an assumption. I too am looking to add the diamondback cover on top of these brackets.
Would the folks at Diamondback be willing to take some photos and measurements of the front locking clamps? That way we could measure the clearance with the brackets. One of the reasons I got the Gator was that they allowed me to try it and were willing to accept a return if it didn't fit.

BTW, I also looked at the Truxedo Sentry CT, but was never able to ascertain if it would fit. Being that it sits on top of the bedsides, it looked like it could be a contender.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would the folks at Diamondback be willing to take some photos and measurements of the front locking clamps? That way we could measure the clearance with the brackets. One of the reasons I got the Gator was that they allowed me to try it and were willing to accept a return if it didn't fit.

BTW, I also looked at the Truxedo Sentry CT, but was never able to ascertain if it would fit. Being that it sits on top of the bedsides, it looked like it could be a contender.

The CT (if i can find a company that will offer free returns) is next on my list if i cannot get the peragon to work,. Peragon has a 100 day return policy with free returns that i verified with customer service. They said it will work with split tailgate "no problem" which is highly unlikely without some modification.

I may be attempting to remake some brackets out of some commercial counter top brackets. I have a set that are welded steel, and are much thinner than the OEM brackets. I feel like the factory could have done a much better job engineering these brackets. Or just make the box stronger lol.

Jims380da

Reaction score
How about the RAM BOX models without the brackets... any issues with covers and the split tailgate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouCap

Reaction score
The CT (if i can find a company that will offer free returns) is next on my list if i cannot get the peragon to work,. Peragon has a 100 day return policy with free returns that i verified with customer service. They said it will work with split tailgate "no problem" which is highly unlikely without some modification.

I may be attempting to remake some brackets out of some commercial counter top brackets. I have a set that are welded steel, and are much thinner than the OEM brackets. I feel like the factory could have done a much better job engineering these brackets. Or just make the box stronger lol.
I've wanted a Peragon for years (I had a Pace Edward's Full Metal Jackrabbit, so I'm partial to steel), I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience.

Last edited:

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've wanted a Peragon for years (I had a Pace Edward's Full Metal Jackrabbit, so I'm partial to steel), I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience.

I read through several years worth of posts both good, bad and great. It really seems like they reached a turning point as a company in 2011-2015. Started offering free returns and really upped they quality.

Cram

Reaction score

Just contacted diamondback covers, they said that they will be making a cover that works around the brackets. They said to be on the lookout for a new option when selecting the cover for our specific beds. This should be happening within the next few weeks.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just contacted diamondback covers, they said that they will be making a cover that works around the brackets. They said to be on the lookout for a new option when selecting the cover for our specific beds. This should be happening within the next few weeks.

I hope some other companies follow suit.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the peragon cover does not fit without removing the brackets. However, you will be able to install with a "lower profile" bracket, if you absolutely need to keep a set on. I will be ordering some of these, and drilling my own holes for lower profile brackets.

DrAudio

Reaction score

That’s great to hear, because when I talked to their engineer last week he didn’t assure me they would. I had offered to take measurements and send him but he said he would rather wait and see one in person.

Fogcutter

Reaction score
Circling back on this, here are some photos of the BUG rail and the bedcover clamps. You can see the braces in the front and where the clamps attach to the rear of them.
8cba36306d02c30b1eb59f7f6b0839f1.jpg

Not to derail this thread (pun more or less intended) but is that side railing there painted? That's the only thing I'm not happy with on my truck. The aluminum side rails. I was instantly thinking of painting them or having them powder coated for aesthetic reasons. Anyone done this?

Last edited:

LouCap

Reaction score
Not to derail this thread (pun more or less intended) but is that side railing there painted? That's the only thing I'm not happy with on my truck. The aluminum side rails. I was instantly thinking of painting them or having them powder coated for aesthetic reasons. Anyone done this?

No, not painted. It came that way as part of the Bed Utility Group. From what I've read in other threads, it seems that there are different rails out there that are silver, which is what it sounds like you might have on yours.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you order the truck with the Mopar soft tonneau cover, it comes with different rails, which are black. If you don't get the cover, it comes with rails (that are actually different than the black ones) that are silver.

I put a bed cover on my truck and I pretty much never see the rails.

LouCap

Reaction score
If you order the truck with the Mopar soft tonneau cover, it comes with different rails, which are black. If you don't get the cover, it comes with rails (that are actually different than the black ones) that are silver.

I put a bed cover on my truck and I pretty much never see the rails.
Mine didn't come with the Mopar soft cover and my rails for the BUG are black anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread