5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘19 DT 1500 Ram Big Horn- I want Chrome GONE

Mabelongia

Reaction score
Hey,
I HATE all the chrome. I Hate OEM headlights/ taillights. I had a ‘15 Ram I was in the process of blacking out ( it was silver) but unfortunately I was rear ended at a red light. I upgraded to a White ‘19 Bighorn DT. I need links/ ideas on blacking all chrome out on top of new lights (blacked or smoked). I cant find really anything that will fit the 5th gen ram even though its been out for 2+ years! Help! F0708DA1-1AB8-4DF1-8A48-CB414568FDBE.jpeg

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new DT. As far as “ blacking “ out are you referring to getting rid of everything that is chrome ? If that’s the case our wtb section is perfect for you. Now with that being said, you can buy black oem pieces all around. The chrome steps you can have wrapped or trade to another member. The front grill, exhaust tips, and wheels can all be plastidipped black. Mirrors if chrome you can add matching colored caps, or just black ones. Also post where you are located as that will go a long way towards getting you help closer to you. :)

Last edited:

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Given the Gators plate surround and the Florida tag, I'd venture to say he's somewhere in the northern part of the state;). As far as getting rid of the chrome you can either find someone with a white truck and the night package that wants chrome, plastidip as suggested above or have it all wrapped in the black of your choosing. You can get a set of OEM black housing halogens relatively cheap on ebay or upgrade to the LED lights/tails if you want to drop a bit more coin. Side steps just sell and get the black version.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey,
I HATE all the chrome. I Hate OEM headlights/ taillights. I had a ‘15 Ram I was in the process of blacking out ( it was silver) but unfortunately I was rear ended at a red light. I upgraded to a White ‘19 Bighorn DT. I need links/ ideas on blacking all chrome out on top of new lights (blacked or smoked). I cant find really anything that will fit the 5th gen ram even though its been out for 2+ years! Help! View attachment 45194
Why didn't you get one with the Sport Appearance package if you hate chrome so much?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I feel for you. I got a Limited, and those things are serious monuments to chrome.

I usually black out most chrome on all my vehicles as well, first by plasti-dipping badges and wheels, mostly as a dry run to confirm I will like how all the pieces will look (since it’s easily reversible), and then as Moparian suggested, look around here for folks selling parts etc. You can also go to Avondale’s eBay store to find Mopar OEM badges, etc. It can be done for not much coin if you are not in a rush.

I did a little of both, found takeoff black edition OEM 22”s and exhaust tips for a fraction of the cost here from two separate members, as well as black badging from here and eBay. Now I have it just the way I wanted.

If you want to do it and be done with it, you can always find a good shop and buy aftermarket wheels and get the chrome pieces swapped out (or wrapped).

BBED9CA8-C0A5-44C8-B4E8-E347D8555C65.jpeg E8095578-91A6-4354-B29F-CBC79008D331.jpeg 3D11E430-0D6C-437A-91EF-33906D5157B3.jpeg 97F950C0-26CE-442E-A94F-F05CAE0897DD.jpeg B6F75C3B-EFBE-40D2-8A7A-227B8E0B8572.jpeg

Damion

Reaction score
if you want black exhaust tips, get an OEM set from a Canadian sport model. Also would work for badges, grilles etc. aside from the little chrome on my rims, I have zero chrome on my truck, everything is black.

remember chrome don't get ya home

dfclimber

Reaction score
Black badges (grill, side, tailgate) can be found on Amazon and Ebay. Plenty of existing threads that give tips. Im in the process of doing the same... 20200129_181423.jpg 20200129_181400.jpg

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think chrome bumpers, and grills, look good on all trucks, except these DT RAMs. Actually, it's just the grills that I'm not crazy about

Last edited:

JD Jackalope

Reaction score
I just cannot wrap my head around why virtually everybody these days hates chrome so much. This blacking out everything trend seems to have gripped automotive enthusiasts like a disease. I'm getting older in my mid 50s now, but I thank God, this wasn't trendy back in the beautiful classic muscle car era of the late 1960s and early 70s. That would have been So boring!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just cannot wrap my head around why virtually everybody these days hates chrome so much. This blacking out everything trend seems to have gripped automotive enthusiasts like a disease. I'm getting older in my mid 50s now, but I thank God, this wasn't trendy back in the beautiful classic muscle car era of the late 1960s and early 70s. That would have been So boring!

I don’t hate chrome. I’m just not crazy about the look of the new RAMs with chrome grills. The bumpers are fine, I just don’t like the grills.

I am also not a fan of everything blacked out either, especially wheels. Some color trucks look better than others wiith black badges and wheels, but it’s just not my cup of tea.

In my opinion, the regular, non Night Edition, Sport Appearance is the perfect mix: body color bumpers and grill with black accents, with polished wheels (I upgraded to Laramie 20’s), side steps and chrome bagdes. Just the right amount of contrast.

R

Rob5589

The interesting part is, years ago you had to pay extra for chrome, painted bumpers and such indicated a lower end model. Late 80's and early 90's was the start of the monochromatic theme with white being the primary color. After that it continued with other colors. Currently it is likely easier/cheaper to paint than to chrome due to all the heavy EPA regs on plating. Yet, it is an "upgrade" you pay for.
Same with wheels; far easier and cheaper to paint them black than to plate or polish.

Bubba33

Reaction score

Some of the black wheels ,looks like someone got there hubcaps stolen.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

I get it, but on the flip side, someone could have said the same thing in the 70s. Why does everyone hate black so much? This chrome everything trend is gripping enthusiasts like a disease :p
I believe trucks, use way too much chrome nowadays, specially in the upper trims like my Limited. Regardless, the cool thing is we all like different things.

Cheers

JD Jackalope

Reaction score
I get it, but on the flip side, someone could have said the same thing in the 70s. Why does everyone hate black so much? This chrome everything trend is gripping enthusiasts like a disease
I believe trucks, use way too much chrome nowadays, specially in the upper trims like my Limited. Regardless, the cool thing is we all like different things.

Cheers
I agree with you on the what ifs back in the 70s, and also that everybody is entitled to their own opinions, vision of beauty, likes and dislikes. I didn't mean to say that anybody blacking out their vehicles didn't have a right to do that, however, in my opinion, a vehicle that is blacked out has very little contrast, and aesthetically speaking, a vehicle that has mix of color and chrome wins. I believe that's one reason why chrome has been around for so long. Besides, I'm quickly becoming a stubborn old man lol.

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
Why didn't you get one with the Sport Appearance package if you hate chrome so much?

How is that helpful to the original poster?

I don't like all the Chrome either but my last two trucks were chrome: 4th Gen Longhorn and 5th Gen Laramie. Sometimes there other factors that we buy trucks for that outweigh the cosmetic trim. Sometimes we buy the truck that is available at the time, sometimes we make a deal that makes it worth it.

My 1st 2 rams: 2nd gen and 3rd gen were sports. I bought the 4th gen Longhorn (there was no Longhorn Sport option) for the interior and the ecodiesel engine - My 5th Gen Chrome Laramie just happened to be the truck I struck a deal on - having a "sport" exterior wasnt the highest priority. . In both cases I decided I could live with the chrome although its not my preference.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is that helpful to the original poster?

I don't like all the Chrome either but my last two trucks were chrome: 4th Gen Longhorn and 5th Gen Laramie. Sometimes there other factors that we buy trucks for that outweigh the cosmetic trim. Sometimes we buy the truck that is available at the time, sometimes we make a deal that makes it worth it.

My 1st 2 rams: 2nd gen and 3rd gen were sports. I bought the 4th gen Longhorn (there was no Longhorn Sport option) for the interior and the ecodiesel engine - My 5th Gen Chrome Laramie just happened to be the truck I struck a deal on - having a "sport" exterior wasnt the highest priority. . In both cases I decided I could live with the chrome although its not my preference.
It's not helpful at all but is a legitimate question nonetheless.

ramhead

Reaction score
It's not helpful at all but is a legitimate question nonetheless.

Exactly....why buy a truck with a lot of chrome only to go through the trouble and spend hundreds if not a few thousand "blacking it out"? It would be much cheaper and less of an azz ache to just pay a bit more up front and get the factory package. Plus, it would probably help with resale being a factory sport/night package vs. a truck that has been plasti dipped or had OEM parts replaced with aftermarket/altered parts.

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
Exactly....why buy a truck with a lot of chrome only to go through the trouble and spend hundreds if not a few thousand "blacking it out"? It would be much cheaper and less of an azz ache to just pay a bit more up front and get the factory package. Plus, it would probably help with resale being a factory sport/night package vs. a truck that has been plasti dipped or had OEM parts replaced with aftermarket/altered parts.
Right so how does that help him with the truck he has now.

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score

Remember - not liking chrome doesn't automatically mean blacking out. Body colored grills, bumpers etc is a popular alternative to chrome and also why the "sports" are so popular.

Black is a neutral color that tend to blend in.

It gets you one step closer to debadging. Black badges, grills etc are more subtle and allow you to see more of the body lines of the vehicle. More so for flat black less so for gloss black.

Black is a more "business/functional" look - think cop car wheels, race car wheels, etc

Finally we know it blends in because after the body color, black its the basic color of just about every other visual exterior part from tires, trim, gaskets, bumpers, wheels, air dams etc

In the end its personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread