5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I seriously doubt that. The complaints you hear are forum enthusiasts wanting the hemi/V8. We aren't the majority of buyers or even the minority. Toyota makes both the Tundra and Tacoma only available with 6's, they're still selling here in America.

As for rebuilding or upgrading to a larger crate engine being cheaper, determine the budget that you expect pay then double that. It won't be cheaper or at least as cheap as you think.

I believe that Ram will gain as many or more sales from buyers simply looking at tht new engines power numbers than they lose by dropping the hemi.
A 2025 Bighorn 4X4 at the base price (not the way I'd purchase one) with only the Hurricane optioned is $53K. I only have 42K miles on my 2020, and God forbid it failed tomorrow, the repair would save me money, instead of buying a 2025.

JExpedition07

Reaction score
IDK that that's accurate. The 5.7 is lower than both the 3.5 EB and the 5.0. The Ram HO is higher than all 4 of them

View attachment 183115

4x4

View attachment 183116

Fords 5.0 doesn't make any more power than the 5.7. The hurricanes simply gave Ram more power with the same or similar tailpipe emissions
Performance can be worlds apart despite similar peak #’s. The 5.0 is 400 HP/410 LB ft weighing in at 445 pounds, and is backed by the 10R80. 5.7 Hemi is 5 HP less and 50 lbs heavier nearing 500 pounds, and backed by an 8 speed. Looking at the power bands, the 5.0 has a much broader peak power curve (peak Tq @4,250 and redline of 7,000 rpm) vs the Hemi (peak TQ @3,950 and redline of 5,800 rpm). That’s a big difference on the street from a red light. If you can’t substantiate peak power with a wide powerband it’s rendered useless on every upshift recovery.

American trucks just tested the Ford refresh for 2024, the 3.5 EB did 5.2 seconds and the 5.0 V8 did 5.5 seconds. The 10 speed is just an animal. I don’t think the 5.7 Hemi even comes within 1 second of either of the Fords, the 3.0 Hurricane S/O will probably tighten the gap a bit but it’s still backed by an 8 speed. I wouldn’t expect it to really set the world on fire, as peak #’s don’t tell you the weight it’s pushing against or the gear spacing it’s got to work with. The HO may set the world on fire though! High 4’s maybe?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Performance can be worlds apart despite similar peak #’s. The 5.0 is 400 HP/410 LB ft weighing in at 445 pounds, and is backed by the 10R80. 5.7 Hemi is 5 HP less and 50 lbs heavier nearing 500 pounds, and backed by an 8 speed. Looking at the power bands, the 5.0 has a much broader peak power curve (peak Tq @4,250 and redline of 7,000 rpm) vs the Hemi (peak TQ @3,950 and redline of 5,800 rpm). That’s a big difference on the street from a red light. If you can’t substantiate peak power with a wide powerband it’s rendered useless on every upshift recovery.

American trucks just tested the Ford refresh for 2024, the 3.5 EB did 5.2 seconds and the 5.0 V8 did 5.5 seconds. The 10 speed is just an animal. I don’t think the 5.7 Hemi even comes within 1 second of either of the Fords, the 3.0 Hurricane S/O will probably tighten the gap a bit but it’s still backed by an 8 speed. I wouldn’t expect it to really set the world on fire, as peak #’s don’t tell you the weight it’s pushing against or the gear spacing it’s got to work with. The HO may set the world on fire though! High 4’s maybe?

The dyno doesn't tell the complete story. I drove the F150 5.0, 3.5, and the 5.7 Ram in the same day. The 3.5 made both of the V8's feel weak. Even though the 5.0 makes a little more HP than the 5.7, it felt weaker to me. The 5.7 seemed to pull better off the bottom and unless I had the RPM's pegged, it felt more powerful. Making more power higher RPM range is useless for most people, because we usually don't drive like that. The 10 speed transmission was always hunting back and forth, searching for the correct gear which was annoying.

BowDown

Reaction score

The ford 5.0 needs RPM to make any power, and makes damn near none under the curve. A small displacement engine will never make the low speed torque of a larger engine without boost. On top of that, the ford needs a 10 spd trans because of the lack of low speed power. The only reason that the 5.0 has a broader power band than the 5.7 is that the 5.0 pulls through 7200rpm vs the 5.7's 6000-6200 rpm; it simply has a larger RPM range. Short of a race situation, I'm not looking to turn 7K rpm in a truck to get power.

As for peak power, I was simply stating that both engines made the same power relative to tailpipe emissions and 5.0 using both DI and Port injection

BowDown

Reaction score
The dyno doesn't tell the complete story. I drove the F150 5.0, 3.5, and the 5.7 Ram in the same day. The 3.5 made both of the V8's feel weak. Even though the 5.0 makes a little more HP than the 5.7, it felt weaker to me. The 5.7 seemed to pull better off the bottom and unless I had the RPM's pegged, it felt more powerful. Making more power higher RPM range is useless for most people, because we usually don't drive like that. The 10 speed transmission was always hunting back and forth, searching for the correct gear which was annoying.

Exactly, especially in a truck that more often that not needs low speed power

JExpedition07

Reaction score
The ford 5.0 needs RPM to make any power, and makes damn near none under the curve. A small displacement engine will never make the low speed torque of a larger engine without boost. On top of that, the ford needs a 10 spd trans because of the lack of low speed power. The only reason that the 5.0 has a broader power band than the 5.7 is that the 5.0 pulls through 7200rpm vs the 5.7's 6000-6200 rpm; it simply has a larger RPM range. Short of a race situation, I'm not looking to turn 7K rpm in a truck to get power.

As for peak power, I was simply stating that both engines made the same power relative to tailpipe emissions and 5.0 using both DI and Port injection
You do realize 3,950 rpm and 4,250 rpm are only 300 apart right? Thats where both V8’s make the peak 410 lb ft of torque… ;)

There is a replacement for displacement, its compression ratio! 12:1 can create a lot of twist without cubic inches. The key is to keep it out of detonation, that’s DI’s job.

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
My opinion will always be that the turbo's, separate cooling systems, overhead cams and the newer technology for the first time being used, will be a service nightmare for the DIYers and dealer repair costs after warranty.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My opinion will always be that the turbo's, separate cooling systems, overhead cams and the newer technology for the first time being used, will be a service nightmare for the DIYers and dealer repair costs after warranty.
None of those items are new, other than the new technology coming on vehicles. Mechanically, an engine is an engine. If you have any mechanical ability you can do the work

BowDown

Reaction score
You do realize 3,950 rpm and 4,250 rpm are only 300 apart right? Thats where both V8’s make the peak 410 lb ft of torque… ;)

There is a replacement for displacement, its compression ratio! 12:1 can create a lot of twist without cubic inches. The key is to keep it out of detonation, that’s DI’s job.
True but the curve to peak tq is sharper in the 5.0 meaning it doesn't have significant torque under peak torque or for very long.

High compression (NA) will never overcome boost, never.
Also, that 12:1 is static compression which means nothing, show me the dynamic compression and even then, it's only worth 10-12 hp without e85, a tune, cam and a lot more timing

BowDown

Reaction score

Turbos, separate cooling and overhead cams have been around for a long time. My 89 Datyona was turbo and overhead cam. I had the head and turbo off many times for a blown head gasket, leaking exhaust manifold gasket, timing belt, cam changes, turbo changes and all this in my driveway.
It's not new technology

Supra and BMW guys now DIY their I6 engines so thats no issue.
It's simply a willingness to dig into it and do the work yourself

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Turbos, separate cooling and overhead cams have been around for a long time. My 89 Datyona was turbo and overhead cam. I had the head and turbo off many times for a blown head gasket, leaking exhaust manifold gasket, timing belt, cam changes, turbo changes and all this in my driveway.
It's not new technology

Supra and BMW guys now DIY their I6 engines so thats no issue.
It's simply a willingness to dig into it and do the work yourself
Lol@ an BMW owner doing anything themself.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a local friend with two BMWs that does all his own work. M3 Comp pushing close to 1000whp, and a X3M that runs 10s in the 1/4. He also owns a 1500+rwhp twin turbo Hellcat Charger. He has his own performance shop and builds/tunes European cars and Mopars. Everything from Lamborghinis to BMW, Mercedes, Trackhawks, TRX, Hellcats, even 5.7 Hemi vehicles.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a local friend with two BMWs that does all his own work. M3 Comp pushing close to 1000whp, and a X3M that runs 10s in the 1/4. He also owns a 1500+rwhp twin turbo Hellcat Charger. He has his own performance shop and builds/tunes European cars and Mopars. Everything from Lamborghinis to BMW, Mercedes, Trackhawks, TRX, Hellcats, even 5.7 Hemi vehicles.
A shop owner is obviously not your typical BMW owner. I keep my original statement.

Reaction score
There’s quite a few of us.
juIkQRd.jpeg

Sorry my BMW was parked outside. Hopefully working on the Porsche will be an ok substitute to the above.

Some of us like driving our cars too.

RVTRKN

Reaction score

Now this I6 gas engine is simple durable and has lots of torque, I'd buy this to replace my Hemi, but it'd have to be a 2500.

Users who are viewing this thread