5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you've had the rear window leak...

GMetal

Reaction score
Id imagine if the dealer doesnt repair the glass, insurance would.

EJ84

Reaction score
So I just took a look and the connection on the passenger side is broken clean off, couple questions.
- would that prevent the entire defroster from not working?
- I have an appointment at the dealership should I be pushing for a new window or can this be repaired and still last?

Thanks

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I just took a look and the connection on the passenger side is broken clean off, couple questions.
- would that prevent the entire defroster from not working?
- I have an appointment at the dealership should I be pushing for a new window or can this be repaired and still last?

Thanks
Take it back and have them replace it. I don't know if that would keep the grids on all three sections from working or just that one. But the whole window will need to be replaced again because you can't reattach the connection and have it work. It needs to be electrically connected to the grid, not just glued.

Finally, after you get your truck back find another dealership to work on your truck in the future. There's no way the tech who did that didn't know he broke the tab off. If they're willing to try to hide something like that, what else would they try getting away with?

speedracernc

Reaction score
The extended warranty covers all 2019 through 2021 for 8 years / 150,000 miles. Dealers are idiots
So the dealer feels it should be covered. My vin is not showing up in the VIP which is what dealers look at. The service advisor said open a case with customer service. They just closed the case with no explanation and hung up on me. I have called multiple times with no information and they wont' allow me to appeal or speak to a supervisor. I tried to explain that it could be a mistake and they said its impossible. They put me on hold and then hang up. I really don't know what else to do. I did not buy my truck from my local dealer because it was used. I purchased it in 2019 with 13k on it.

EJ84

Reaction score
Take it back and have them replace it. I don't know if that would keep the grids on all three sections from working or just that one. But the whole window will need to be replaced again because you can't reattach the connection and have it work. It needs to be electrically connected to the grid, not just glued.

Finally, after you get your truck back find another dealership to work on your truck in the future. There's no way the tech who did that didn't know he broke the tab off. If they're willing to try to hide something like that, what else would they try getting away with?
I agree, it’s the same dealer who sent me home with a seatbelt unattached. Also the same one who gave me a conventional oil change when it was supposed to be full synthetic, service advisor lied right to my face about the oil. I took my receipt to parts had them run the numbers and sure enough basic oil.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So the dealer feels it should be covered. My vin is not showing up in the VIP which is what dealers look at. The service advisor said open a case with customer service. They just closed the case with no explanation and hung up on me. I have called multiple times with no information and they wont' allow me to appeal or speak to a supervisor. I tried to explain that it could be a mistake and they said its impossible. They put me on hold and then hang up. I really don't know what else to do. I did not buy my truck from my local dealer because it was used. I purchased it in 2019 with 13k on it.
I’d show up in person and raise hell. Or try contacting @RamCares maybe they can help

Lawman1Bravo

Reaction score
Well gents and lady’s took the truck for a diagnostic like Chrysler asked and wouldn’t you know the back window leaks . So here’s my wife and I conclusion. Benton Harbor dealership in Benton Harbor Michigan lied and doctor glass lied ( by the way was told by the dealership not to honor the warranty ) even though we had pictures and video . So over a month now water has leaked into the truck on 4 occasions now and the headliner has been getting soaked and diff the leather seats and god knows what else . So the dealership hooked it up here in Pittsburgh for the leak test and in seconds started leaking . Now it’s wait time to see what is gonna be done about it and if Chrysler is stepping up to the plate and is filing a complaint against Benton Harbor dealership . I believe they didn’t test sh-t and just signed off on it because of the further damage to the mention above .

E.Hands

Reaction score
I agree, it’s the same dealer who sent me home with a seatbelt unattached. Also the same one who gave me a conventional oil change when it was supposed to be full synthetic, service advisor lied right to my face about the oil. I took my receipt to parts had them run the numbers and sure enough basic oil.
Expose the Dealership here.
What is their name and location?

speedracernc

Reaction score
I’d show up in person and raise hell. Or try contacting @RamCares maybe they can help
I contacted @RamCares and explained the situation as well as typing it on the survey Ram sent me. I did get a call from Ram and @RamCares thinks I am not covered for this problem. I am still trying to get in touch with Nancy at Ram but her mailbox is full. I am at least hopeful at this point and thankful that my messages were read and considered.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I contacted @RamCares and explained the situation as well as typing it on the survey Ram sent me. I did get a call from Ram and @RamCares thinks I am not covered for this problem. I am still trying to get in touch with Nancy at Ram but her mailbox is full. I am at least hopeful at this point and thankful that my messages were read and considered.
That’s dumb.

I wonder why her mailbox is full. It’s not like they have a widespread rear window issue or something.

speedracernc

Reaction score
That’s dumb.

I wonder why her mailbox is full. It’s not like they have a widespread rear window issue or something.
I agree. I still have not been able to speak with someone. The rep at ram only told me that the VG1 for the CHMSL is on my account so now I am doubting that its even been addressed.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I might have gotten lucky with my 2020. I didn't notice anything at first because my headliner is black. Noticed my floorboard was wet when I grabbed something from under the seat, looked up, frame is cracked. For some reason the dealer needs it for an entire day to send info to warranty claims, and then they said only a week to get the part. Hopefully that's true. I'll see when I get my truck back this afternoon.

M1CK22

Reaction score
My 19 Ram 1500 backlite is leaking water in from the passenger side corner along with the CHMSL. The water intrusion also cause the defroster tab to detach from the window. Spoke with my dealership and they said only the CHMSL is covered under the extended warranty for my VIN. Contacted Ram and they told me there was nothing they could do about it and could not explain why my VIN is not included in the extended warranty. This might be my last Ram…..

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This should probably be posted as a sticky since so many people have had this issue. Another member here posted this link for the window/rear brake light leak recall reimbursement. I went to the url input my Vin# and was deemed eligible for consideration. I scanned the invoices from the dealer where I got the repairs done and today via email they just informed me that out of $2138 I paid to have the rear window, the rear brake light and the wireless receiver all replaced, they will be sending me a check for $1991. Here is the url to apply:

jman307

Reaction score
******UPDATE******

I have another leak. I came out to the truck today during the rain and all interior windows were fogged. I guess I have to start this process over again. 21,000 miles and a year and a half old or so.

For those of you who have owned a Ram with a leak at the back window and had it fixed by replacing the entire rear window, did it return eventually?
I’ve had mine replaced twice. First for cracked frame at 3 years and 35k miles, second for slide window seal leak at 57k miles and just under 2 years after first replacement. Not happy at all with quality of this part.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This should probably be posted as a sticky since so many people have had this issue. Another member here posted this link for the window/rear brake light leak recall reimbursement. I went to the url input my Vin# and was deemed eligible for consideration. I scanned the invoices from the dealer where I got the repairs done and today via email they just informed me that out of $2138 I paid to have the rear window, the rear brake light and the wireless receiver all replaced, they will be sending me a check for $1991. Here is the url to apply:

To be clear, there is no recall on either the CHMSL or the rear window (backlite). The links are to TSB's which explain the factory warranty extension for these parts. And coverage is based on VIN numbers.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have 2021. I just entered my VIN on that site and it doesn't show any Extended Warranty for me.

I found the TSB. Only vehicles built on and before September 30, 2020. My build date is 5/16/2021

Attachments

• Back Glass Water Leak Warranty Extension.pdf
    307.4 KB · Views: 11

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be clear, there is no recall on either the CHMSL or the rear window (backlite). The links are to TSB's which explain the factory warranty extension for these parts. And coverage is based on VIN numbers.
To be clearer on this. Thats what the Stellantis email subject line stated "RE: Recall Reimbursement Request from Brandsite". Semantics aside I don't think anyone particularly cares what it's called as long as you have a chance to get a refund/extended warranty. I do understand that there has not been any official recall for these items.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
To be clearer on this. Thats what the Stellantis email subject line stated "RE: Recall Reimbursement Request from Brandsite". Semantics aside I don't think anyone particularly cares what it's called as long as you have a chance to get a refund/extended warranty. I do understand that there has not been any official recall for these items.
Sorry, didn't mean to twist your panties. I just wanted to make sure that other members know this is not a recall to possibly save them from embarrassment or wasting their time at the dealership. You won't find the word "recall" anywhere in that TSB. And since I didn't receive said email, I have no way of knowing what was in the subject line. I was simply stating fact. Your post indicated it was a recall. There is a difference between a TSB and a recall.

For anyone else that is wondering, you can easily find out if your VIN is included in the warranty extension by visiting the ramtrucks.com website and logging in to your account (or creating one if you don't already have an account). There is a section where you can check to see if any warranty extensions apply to your vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread