5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The steel bumpers are pretty useless on these trucks. I had a contact with a Chrysler pacifica that decided to stop on a highway entrance ramp suddenly. the Rams bupper caved like swiss cheese, no damage to the Pacifica's rear plastic bumper which I'm sure has a metal beam behind it.
The bumper caved like Swiss cheese?
Pictures please.
Not even sure how you can hit the rear bumper of a Pacifica with a Ram 1500 unless you had your truck lowered?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not 2 mpg average economy better with 4x4, "you better check your facts"
Window stickers are not hard to find to compare.
Seems like you are trying to justify your purchase vs look at factual information.
Where did I say it was average? It's better on the highway which is what most people do. It's 2MPG better on the highway.

My check your facts was directed at the fact that the Hemi requires midgrade fuel as well. According to the EPA site the S.O. hurricane requires regular.

You sound like a butt hurt Hemi owner.

Also, I'm not justifying any purchase. I drive a 2020 Ecodiesel and get 28MPG and have 140,000km on it

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The front of a stock ram is pretty low, especially when you slam on the brakes and it noses down. I will have to see if I have a picture, it was three years ago, my grill did shatter her back window and dent the hatch, ironically it did not damage to the Rams Grill.

1711062264002.png

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The steel bumpers are pretty useless on these trucks, thier maybe slightly thicker then sheet metal. I had a contact with a Chrysler pacifica that decided to stop on a highway entrance ramp suddenly. the Rams bumper caved like swiss cheese, no damage to the Pacifica's rear plastic bumper which I'm sure has a metal beam behind it.

Completely agree

BowDown

Reaction score
The bumper caved like Swiss cheese?
Pictures please.
Not even sure how you can hit the rear bumper of a Pacifica with a Ram 1500 unless you had your truck lowered?

The bumpers on these trucks are pretty thin, one person can R&R these bumpers by themselves they're so light. I replaced the bumper on my previous truck twice from minor rear ends, the bumper folds like a tin can

Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-loses-front-wheel-and-hits-Ram-pickup-December-2023-002.jpeg

BowDown

Reaction score
The Hurricane's main reason for being is to cut emissions by 50% over the Hemi, the official EPA numbers released today proves that mpg wasn't the main goal.

Factor in it can be used as a mainstream motor across almost all model lines with Stellantis and designed from the start to have hybrid capabilities in the future, a big V8 doesn't have that flexibility, especially with smaller vehicles that the Hurricane can fit in.

But unlike GM and Ford who clearly can afford to have their V8s and eat cake too, Stellantis just doesn't have the budget or will to do both. Easy fix folks, you want a V8 in a full size truck, you can still buy a Silverado or F150.

Agreed
Stellantis (Dodge) with the exception of the Challenger, Charger and Ram sell crap cars that no one wants so their CAFE numbers aren't good. Ford sells a crap ton of decent 4 & 6 cyl fuel efficient cars so they can afford to keep V8s, GM as well.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Agreed
Stellantis (Dodge) with the exception of the Challenger, Charger and Ram sell crap cars that no one wants so their CAFE numbers aren't good. Ford sells a crap ton of decent 4 & 6 cyl fuel efficient cars so they can afford to keep V8s, GM as well.

Yup, and actually invest in their future V8s. GM has paid almost a billion already to keep their small blocks compliant for the next gen vehicles, starting in 2028 when they will appear on the next Corvette and full size truck. Ford has already made their Coyote compliant, giving the next gen-Mustang (and F150) a V8 for at least one last generation.

Stellantis jumped the ship at least a decade early, probably due to finances, but not sure it was the right one, only sales and time can tell.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
70ft lbs more of torque is nothing to sneeze at for the HO. The SO hurricane will smoke the Hemi all day long.

I'm your Huckleberry.

Where did I say it was average? It's better on the highway which is what most people do. It's 2MPG better on the highway.

Average MPG is a better number to use. The EPA assumes that the average driver spends 55% of the time in the city and 45% on the highway. However, the average driver actually spends a larger percentage of their time in city driving. Driving on the highway in stop-and-go traffic is considered city driving.

PetePA

Reaction score
I'm your Huckleberry.

Average MPG is a better number to use. The EPA assumes that the average driver spends 55% of the time in the city and 45% on the highway. However, the average driver actually spends a larger percentage of their time in city driving. Driving on the highway in stop-and-go traffic is considered city driving.
Glad I moved to a rural area lol... All this gas talk is making me reconsider the hurricane HO and instead a RAMCHARGER! Wish we knew the price tho

MT755

Reaction score
They're comparing the 5.7 etorque to the SO. The regular 5.7 is 2 mpg less. If I'm not mistaken.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm your Huckleberry.

Wonder if either Hurricane can support e85, or how long until someone makes high pressure fuel pumps and injectors for them?

Because at that point, the Dino’s will need to follow suit to retain their spot in the pecking order.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wonder if either Hurricane can support e85, or how long until someone makes high pressure fuel pumps and injectors for them?

Because at that point, the Dino’s will need to follow suit to retain their spot in the pecking order.
Sure, and have your fuel economy drop to 10 mpg.

wvinson

Reaction score
Official EPA gas mileage numbers: ZERO gain over the Hemi in the S.O. version, less than the Hemi in the H.O. version, plus you need mid-grade on the S.O. version. So essentially, you're paying more to drive the new engine than you did the Hemi. Just brilliant.

If you have a Hemi truck, never let it go!
Really, who's buying these trucks for the mpg? Really? Especially the HO version -- we want THE POWER!

pensfan

Reaction score
I agree. Looking more and more like a GMC.
Big letters front and back, just like GMC. Take the letters off the Ram and I wonder how many would think it was a GMC.
Once again I go back to the Crosshair, no mistaking the truck for a GMC.

dcchris311

Reaction score

I will absolutely be running a E30 blend from time to time. I'll be doing a dyno to see how much it improves over 93oct. It should still see a gain even though it won't be "tuned" for it. I ran a E30 blend on my M40i and it an absolute beast. Nothing like doing mid 11s in a family suv.

I know you said e85 but if it the fuel system isn't designed for e85, then I wouldn't do it. E85 is extremely corrosive and will cause damage with long term use. E30 is a bit "safer".

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Big letters front and back, just like GMC. Take the letters off the Ram and I wonder how many would think it was a GMC.
Once again I go back to the Crosshair, no mistaking the truck for a GMC.
If you are confusing a Ram with a GMC, you really need to get your eyes checked

Dewey

Reaction score
If you are confusing a Ram with a GMC, you really need to get your eyes checked
Gotta admit though since the 3rd Gen RAM which was really on it’s own with styling all trucks (including every manufacturer) have been looking more and more alike every year. It all due to sleeker styling to reduce drag and improve gas mileage. Doesn’t allow much leeway in styling anymore.

Other than the grill, emblems and other minor cosmetic differences they’re all pretty close. Getting to be like NASCAR. All the same just slap a different emblem on the front and rear.😆

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the 5th gen was introduced Halogen and chrome bumpers and all I thought… Tundra. Wasn’t until I was working a job in Hawaii and we had a rental 2500 Trademan that I started to think hmm maybe… then once the Sport package w/ led was spotted I thought maybe just maybe Ill trade up from my 4th gen lol.

Users who are viewing this thread