5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's pretty bad. I'm getting 11.5 MPG, 99% city with my TRX.
yea idk WTH it is, i have done all i can to fix the issue but no luck. and im making a jump soon to 35's and either 20's or 18's which will be 30-40lbs extra per corner so im scared to see what that does .

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
yea idk WTH it is, i have done all i can to fix the issue but no luck. and im making a jump soon to 35's and either 20's or 18's which will be 30-40lbs extra per corner so im scared to see what that does .

Well, I guess it's time for a TRX. It already has 35's and I guarantee you won't be wondering why it gets bad fuel economy. 🤣

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 ( new to me ) Ram 1500 limited only missing a few bells and whistles. I am noticing horrible fuel economy compared to my 2015 Ram 1500 big horn. I do have an after market exhaust on that truck and an after market COI on it as well I did notice not only HP gains but fuel economy as well. It would take me a couple of days after filling up to drop below a full tank of gas and in the new limited it dropped below after only one day of driving to and from work. I only live at most 20 mins from my job and I take the highway to get there. I put non ethanol 89 in my truck. I do not have the ETorq on mine. I’m wondering if the weight of the air ride suspension system is playing a factor in the poor fuel economy or if it is due to the “cap less” fuel system it has is letting the gas escape faster. I do not know what is causing it but I am disappointed/disgusted that my 2015 was getting way better fuel efficiency
The cap less does not make a difference in fuel consumption, you would get an warning if the gas cap was missing or if the cap less tank would not seal.

Did your 2015 Bighorn have the V6 gas engine? This would make a big difference in gas mileage, more noticeable in city driving.
There can be lot more weight in the Limited compared to the Bighorn but it would not make an extreme difference in gas consumption.

I had a classic Ram for 9 years then switched to the DT model in 2020, and noticed that the gas gauge is more proportional in the newer model, meaning the gauge will start going down as soon as you drive, the older model would stay on full longer then start dropping, I also had a 1996 third generation Ram for 13 years, the gas gauge was extremely off, 3/4 full would mean 1/2 tank. What was the gas tank size of your 2015 compared the the 2019?

The gas gauge/tank size has nothing to do with fuel consumption, smaller tank less distance travelled compared to a larger tank. The only way to accurately know the gas consumption is to do the manual gas\mileage calculations. You might find that your truck is not as bad as what you thought after doing these calculations.

On a last note, you must like the way your Limited looks, enjoy the comfort of the air ride and hopefully appreciate all the extra features the Limited has compared to the classic Bighorn. Unfortunately there is a price to pay for luxury.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 limited 3.92 20% city and rest hwy 22 gallon tank 5.7 non-et and I avg 11-13 mpg sucks but I’m learning to live with it. Next truck will be a diesel. My buddy just picked up the new gmc sierra with the 3.0- or 3.2 I can’t remember and he’s getting 24mpg city and 28-30 hwy same tank size but I’m not sure his gear ratio and that thing still has some pull and get up and go!

I suspect your buddy with the Chevy would also get much better than 11-13 in your Ram. I've never gotten that poor of mileage on any of the 4 hemi Rams I have owned. My current Ram with 3.92s will get 13 or better when towing a 3500 trailer load.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 limited 3.92 20% city and rest hwy 22 gallon tank 5.7 non-et and I avg 11-13 mpg sucks but I’m learning to live with it. Next truck will be a diesel. My buddy just picked up the new gmc sierra with the 3.0- or 3.2 I can’t remember and he’s getting 24mpg city and 28-30 hwy same tank size but I’m not sure his gear ratio and that thing still has some pull and get up and go!

Now that I read your signature it's likely your modifications are what is making your fuel economy so low.

First the 33 inch nitro grabbers are significantly heaver than the stock tires and the tread design is not conducive to the best fuel economy. When I switched to BFG ATs of the same size on my last truck it easily cost me at least 2 mpg. Your switch to a larger than factory tire likely cost you more.

Also, if you didn't recalibrate for the larger tires you are probably getting better mpg than what you are calculating as you are actually traveling farther than what the odometer says on each tank. I believe the stock 20s in 2019 were 275/55-20 which is 30.8 inch diameter. Without recalibrating, your speedometer will read 60 but you will really be traveling 64.3.

The mileage your friend is claiming on his Chevy is exactly what the window sticker claims for EPA mileage so I would take his claims with a grain of salt since I've never owned a vehicle that reliably reached the EPA estimate on the window sticker.

Also, it's a proven fact that adding a louder muffler and deleting the resonator adds about 10 lbs to your right foot making it difficult to let off the gas pedal.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that I read your signature it's likely your modifications are what is making your fuel economy so low.

First the 33 inch nitro grabbers are significantly heaver than the stock tires and the tread design is not conducive to the best fuel economy. When I switched to BFG ATs of the same size on my last truck it easily cost me at least 2 mpg. Your switch to a larger than factory tire likely cost you more.

Also, if you didn't recalibrate for the larger tires you are probably getting better mpg than what you are calculating as you are actually traveling farther than what the odometer says on each tank. I believe the stock 20s in 2019 were 275/55-20 which is 30.8 inch diameter. Without recalibrating, your speedometer will read 60 but you will really be traveling 64.3.

The mileage your friend is claiming on his Chevy is exactly what the window sticker claims for EPA mileage so I would take his claims with a grain of salt since I've never owned a vehicle that reliably reached the EPA estimate on the window sticker.

Also, it's a proven fact that adding a louder muffler and deleting the resonator adds about 10 lbs to your right foot making it difficult to let off the gas pedal.
I’ve looked at many aspects and reasons why my gas mileage might be this bad but I’ve compared it to other owners with same truck/ gears and LARGER tires (35’s) and they are able to squeeze more out of their rigs.

Regardless the mpg should not be as bad as it is it I believe something is wrong but I’m not sure what mechanically

spyder

Reaction score
Unless those people recalibrated their speedo and odo, then comparing yours to theirs means nothing. I doubt anything is wrong with your truck.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Sheesh, what can you see out of the truck at night with a 5% tint as well as the windshield at 35%?
Other than the bigger tires, have you lifted or leveled? Tires, lift/level all decreases mpg’s.
My almost bone stock 2023 Ltd et 4x gets a lie-o-meter calculated 14-15 in town and 18 at 75 on the highway, 3.92 gears.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sheesh, what can you see out of the truck at night with a 5% tint as well as the windshield at 35%?
Other than the bigger tires, have you lifted or leveled? Tires, lift/level all decreases mpg’s.
My almost bone stock 2023 Ltd et 4x gets a lie-o-meter calculated 14-15 in town and 18 at 75 on the highway, 3.92 gears.
It's not bad. I actually prefer the tinted windshield at night over not tinted. Cuts down headlight glare significantly, and the ******* who doesnr aim headlights after lifting their truck isn't as annoying. I left my front doors at 20%, but have 35% windshield and 5% everywhere else. LED headlights are a must if you do go that dark. Most people who ride in my truck don't even realize the windshield is tinted unless I tell them

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect your buddy with the Chevy would also get much better than 11-13 in your Ram. I've never gotten that poor of mileage on any of the 4 hemi Rams I have owned. My current Ram with 3.92s will get 13 or better when towing a 3500 trailer load.
Explain “3500 trailer load“ your pulling with your truck please.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At night the front windshield is barely noticeable of tint, really all it does is cuts down glare from on coming vehicles. But side and rear windows aren’t bad either.

Just a level and 1” taller tire compared to stock setup

rogerdodger51

Reaction score
Idk if any of yall have fixed the issue but I got a 2020 ram 1500 5.7 hemi no e torque sport edition. I was seeing the same low mpg. I changed my ambient air temperature sensor and I instantly gained 5+ mpg. Idk if it was just so weird kink with my truck of something. It's worth a shot tho. Like a 15 dollar part easy install in 5 mins. Goodluck

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Idk if any of yall have fixed the issue but I got a 2020 ram 1500 5.7 hemi no e torque sport edition. I was seeing the same low mpg. I changed my ambient air temperature sensor and I instantly gained 5+ mpg. Idk if it was just so weird kink with my truck of something. It's worth a shot tho. Like a 15 dollar part easy install in 5 mins. Goodluck
What made you change the temp sensor in the first place, was it defective, throw a code?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
While I wouldn't risk the ticket for the tint, anything that reduces the glare of d-heads who run aftermarket light bars or fail to re-aim their ultra bright optional led’s sounds good to me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you unhook the battery when you replaced the sensor?

Users who are viewing this thread