5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Air Dam Debate

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the active air dam is less about increasing mileage (especially if you already have the stationary one) and more about not getting it caught on curbs and parking blocks when you park.

I’ve seen SO many of those fixed air dams (and in one case the whole bumper) get ripped off when someone backs out of their parking space…..

my guess regarding the fuel savings difference between the active and stationary air dam: zero….as long as you don’t rip it off in the parking lot.
We have both on our truck. And while it may nlbe within the normal variance in MPG being checked by the average driver, I guarantee it makes enough of a difference for the EPA testing for them to include it. Even if it's only a couple of tenths.

John Galt

Reaction score
We have both on our truck. And while it may nlbe within the normal variance in MPG being checked by the average driver, I guarantee it makes enough of a difference for the EPA testing for them to include it. Even if it's only a couple of tenths.
Yeah. Probably. At least under the specific test conditions specified by the EPA. Wasn’t there an auto manufacturer that had a couple of “notches” in their fueling curve to pass emissions but give better performance at all other RPMs?

I just hope that retraction of the air dam keeps it out of the way when parking. Apparently even the air suspension trucks have it now.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah. Probably. At least under the specific test conditions specified by the EPA. Wasn’t there an auto manufacturer that had a couple of “notches” in their fueling curve to pass emissions but give better performance at all other RPMs?

I just hope that retraction of the air dam keeps it out of the way when parking. Apparently even the air suspension trucks have it now.
It only engages at 35 mph, so yes it will be retracted when you are parking unless you are doing some crazy maneuvers.

ccyngier

Reaction score
I have driven with it after i lifted and then deactivated it and did not see any noticeable difference.
I want to take off/ deactivate the active air dam on my 2020 ram 1500 but the dealer said it will throw a code. How’d you get around this? dealer said the motor seized but the communication is fine with it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I want to take off/ deactivate the active air dam on my 2020 ram 1500 but the dealer said it will throw a code. How’d you get around this? dealer said the motor seized but the communication is fine with it.
Just have autozone clear the CEL after you remove it. You’ll be good. The only code that it will leave can only be seen within the module, but no cel will remain

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I removed my AAD and the gas mileage actually improved. No lie. So much for that quality RAM engineering.😆

After disconnecting I wrapped the plug connector very well with electrical tape to seal out moisture then zip tied up behind the bumper in a dry spot. No codes ever over 3 months.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I removed my AAD and the gas mileage actually improved. No lie. So much for that quality RAM engineering.😆

After disconnecting I wrapped the plug connector very well with electrical tape to seal out moisture then zip tied up behind the bumper in a dry spot. No codes ever over 3 months.
There's a code, just not a CEL.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find it interesting Ford has a giant one on their Super Duties and HD trucks are they not even regulated by the epa.

Last edited:

KAP705

Reaction score

I did the exact same thing; my dashboard continues to be happy. Took me 2 minutes; thank God it wasn't the grille shutters lol

Big Jim Swade

Reaction score
I'm getting 21-23 highway mpg with my total stock 2022 quad cab 4x4 5.7 with 3.21 gearing. I'm leaving it on.

23RAM

Reaction score
You might get even better if you remove it😉
Doubtful. RAM wouldn't waste money, time, and resources developing an active component to make fuel mileage worse. There are hours of wind tunnel runs performed when vehicles are designed and checked for aerodynamic drag. Small changes can make a noticeable difference in drag. If the AAD did worse in testing, they wouldn't have used it as it adds unnecessary cost, weight, and complexity for a negative gain. Cost being a driving factor where, for example, 100k trucks are built with AAD at $100 each = $10 million in savings if they deleted it.

While the aerodynamic difference is obviously not a dramatic increase, it works in combination with other factors to achieve a measurable increase in fuel efficiency. When RAM is competing with other builders, every little bit helps. And there's a proven history of wings, moldings, under-car panels, etc. being used on high performance race cars like F1 to improve aerodynamics - it's not dramatic from car to car, but it makes a small difference and can be the factor that determines who takes the checkered flag.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Doubtful. RAM wouldn't waste money, time, and resources developing an active component to make fuel mileage worse. There are hours of wind tunnel runs performed when vehicles are designed and checked for aerodynamic drag. Small changes can make a noticeable difference in drag. If the AAD did worse in testing, they wouldn't have used it as it adds unnecessary cost, weight, and complexity for a negative gain. Cost being a driving factor where, for example, 100k trucks are built with AAD at $100 each = $10 million in savings if they deleted it.

While the aerodynamic difference is obviously not a dramatic increase, it works in combination with other factors to achieve a measurable increase in fuel efficiency. When RAM is competing with other builders, every little bit helps. And there's a proven history of wings, moldings, under-car panels, etc. being used on high performance race cars like F1 to improve aerodynamics - it's not dramatic from car to car, but it makes a small difference and can be the factor that determines who takes the checkered flag.
It's $100 for them and $500 for us.
You think they build these trucks for free?
And when it breaks they can charge another $500 and labor at the dealership.

Dewey

Reaction score
It's $100 for them and $500 for us.
You think they build these trucks for free?
And when it breaks they can charge another $500 and labor at the dealership.
I agree. If it was built to be much more durable it wouldn’t be so bad but it’s a cheaply designed piece of crap. It’s not a matter if it will fail but when. Even the electric motor is cheap and sounds like there have been plenty of failures. If you do any substantial highway driving it WILL get destroyed. All it takes is a little debris or small animal at highway speed and it’s trashed. Anybody that pays to have it repaired is just wasting their money.

BowDown

Reaction score

Never understood why some people fail to grasp that concept.
Additionally, buy a configuration that gets poor mileage, then modify their trucks to get the worse mileage then complain about the poor mileage :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread