5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add Digital Rearview Mirror

Scarlet Beast

Reaction score
So in the other thread it said something about if you have neither the fcw or acc, you should select the mirror with fcw? Also will I need a new shroud cover for this?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So in the other thread it said something about if you have neither the fcw or acc, you should select the mirror with fcw? Also will I need a new shroud cover for this?
Everything is in the first post on this thread. You don't need a new cover.

Humer91

Reaction score
OK, this seems like the right place. I have a '22 limited with ACC and forward collision and the DRVM already in place. If i want to add a trailer camera/2 camera, I could do so by getting the 2 camera mirror and just running new FAKRA cable from it to whatever new camera I decide to use? What camera would be best to use as a second camera (basically to place inside my topper so i can see in there when my dogs are in there)?

MLB12

Reaction score
I'm actively looking for the CHMSL that is used for the Rear View Trailer Mode Camera. It is P/N 68551077AB, which supercedes the old P/N 68444540AB.

Ryno

Reaction score
I need to do this to my truck, but the third brake light will be blocked by a track and tent. What can I do for an alternate camera?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need to do this to my truck, but the third brake light will be blocked by a track and tent. What can I do for an alternate camera?
Don't buy the entire CHMSL and just buy a replacement camera, then mount it somewhere suitable and run a cable.
You can't use any camera with the digital rear-view mirror.

mk2019ORP

Reaction score
Don't buy the entire CHMSL and just buy a replacement camera, then mount it somewhere suitable and run a cable.
Any chance you know the part number to just the replacement camera?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any chance you know the part number to just the replacement camera?
Try here.

There's a link to the HD site with much more discussion.
The 2-channel rear view mirror is an OEM option on the HDs. It isn't on the 1500s, but it works.
With 2 channels you can switch between the CHMSL cam and a trailer cam.

Ryno

Reaction score
Did you mean CAN or CAN'T?

Ram2134

Reaction score
Just completed the digital rear view mod thanks to this thread. Easy peasy!! I do suggest not trying to run the Fakra wire though the opening in 3rd brake light location. That proved extremely difficult, for me at least.

I ran that wire from the rear view mirror location, through the driver side weatherstripping and trim. Much more easier IMO.

Attachments

• F9082343-0B8C-4368-BFCC-09D5B7D92499.jpeg
    F9082343-0B8C-4368-BFCC-09D5B7D92499.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

CJ_Chen

Reaction score
Does anyone have a write up for the Wiring harness? Finally got everything together and I’m not sure where to connect the new bcm to

vincentw56

Reaction score
Does anyone have a write up for the Wiring harness? Finally got everything together and I’m not sure where to connect the new bcm to
Jimmy07 makes the harness. It has all the connectors and is plug and play.

CJ_Chen

Reaction score
Jimmy07 makes the harness. It has all the connectors and is plug and play.

I guess I should have been more clear - I have the harness, I was asking for an install guide. I haven’t taken off my old rear view mirror yet but there were a couple stray wires in the new wiring harness that look like they need to be added into an existing connector. I wanted to see if there was a write up for the 2020 with the additional BCM before I started poking around myself.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I guess I should have been more clear - I have the harness, I was asking for an install guide. I haven’t taken off my old rear view mirror yet but there were a couple stray wires in the new wiring harness that look like they need to be added into an existing connector. I wanted to see if there was a write up for the 2020 with the additional BCM before I started poking around myself.
Yes, it's in the first post at the bottom.

Installation is fairly simple. Replace the CHMSL with the new one. Run the cable in the headliner from it to the mirror. Replace the mirror with the new one. Connect the mirror, truck and BCM using the wiring harness. Start the truck and enjoy your new mirror.

Cmassey31099

Reaction score
I have a 2021 and added this mirror a while ago, I’ve had no problems except my mirror dimmer doesn’t work anymore. It was plug and play for me so I made no BCM changes, any ideas to get it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Reaction score
I have a 2021 and added this mirror a while ago, I’ve had no problems except my mirror dimmer doesn’t work anymore. It was plug and play for me so I made no BCM changes, any ideas to get it back?

You don't. At least, no way we know of.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There are two different part numbers for the digital rear view mirror one is just the digital part the other comes with the auto dim and full speed warning collision. The one with auto dim is 68448641AB (Digital Rear View Mirror w/AutoDim and Full Speed Warning Collision). Don’t know if that is your problem or you have some JScan issues if you already had auto-dim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online