5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 21.0%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 83 51.2%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters

Rscimagery

Reaction score
I have a bittersweet relationship with my RSI cap...I love it. But...it leaks. And yes the locks can be a real PITA in the winter but i can live with that. It leaks from the vent as well as both side windows. RSI sent me a video on how to plug the vent leak but i havent mastered it yet. Someone on the Ford forums found a way to fix the window leaks. So 3 leaks (well, 4 - the main panel leaked once) - but in really heavy downpours. But...

I do love it. It is really high quality. I had mine installed (thank god) - somewhere it said it would take an owner a couple hours, it took cap world all day (their first one to be fair) -- I had to pay them to do the harness, but it works and is all hooked up. I did have to bring it back as they didnt put the spacers in when they installed it but the RSI rep came out to assist. So its been a little rocky of a road.

But its such a nice unit overall. High quality, solid. It makes visibility a bit rough out the back window if that is important - aka you can no longer see much of anything - but the 2019 RAM Rebel camera is on the tailgate so no issues with the backup camera. If you dont have a backup camera be aware it does cut a ton of visibility off. But it's really really sweet even with the hiccups. if I can stop the leaks - I'll be a happy man. For $4000 i was not a happy man when i first saw everything wet inside it...this I can tell you for sure.

I still have storage issues for all my fishing gear - i have been using cargo boxes but they can be a real PITA to get in and out - so I'll be putting in a DECKED system soon, safer storage for fishing stuff and only accessible when i need it. wont be able to fit trash cans in the bed anymore but life isnt fair, trash will have to wait :)

RAM lighting sucks in the tailgate so I installed a couple magnetic lights - orbs of sorts - that work pretty well. RSI makes one, but you cant buy anything from them they are always out of stock. *note - you cant get any add ons it seems, im trying to get the table and the roof bars but they never seem to be available. i was going to put in the tool box side units, but with the decked, i dont think i need them.

all said and done its gorgeous. i am relatively pleased. the leaking is a real bummer...very frustrating. but...it may be salvagable. time will tell. Being out of stock on all the add ons is also a bummer but COVID is messing everything up pretty bad so i cant really blame them.

But its a solid piece of alchemy for sure. I miss nothing about my stock tonneau except that i could see out the rear windows, and it looks a little less badass now, but more badass in some ways. Great rig. Couldnt be happier overall...

180430102_513033736374108_2176828292350824413_n.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg IMG_1265.jpg IMG_1029.jpg IMG_0231.jpg IMG_0232.jpg

PHFT

Reaction score
Made up some led strip lights with some left over channels I had, used RGB led strip lights so I can turn it on/off, change the colour, and dim it with my phone. The white light has a bit of a blue tint to it but I think it'll be easier on the eyes late at night and not completely ruin my night vision, but thats also why I wanted to be able to change it to red too. I'll be wiring up a switch panel, fuse box, and solar charge controller later on so I can turn other lights on, and charge phones, speakers or what ever while camping.

IMG_1028.jpg
IMG_1031.jpg IMG_1036.jpg IMG_1038.jpg IMG_1048.jpg IMG_1049.jpg

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Found a way to strap my inflatable kayak to the roof without buying load bars.
6212c6b7257bc1a175d98b93e9f4063d.jpg

7b5f8182c55af450380f62d9cbfde284.jpg

dad27db1c98887703d2d765dac307c09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rscimagery

Reaction score
Found a way to strap my inflatable kayak to the roof without buying load bars.
6212c6b7257bc1a175d98b93e9f4063d.jpg

7b5f8182c55af450380f62d9cbfde284.jpg

dad27db1c98887703d2d765dac307c09.jpg

What inflatable kayak do you have? I am looking into them for travel with the RV (3 months out west) - I have kayaks but i wanted something easy to load and toss around in different situations. Do you like it and which one do you have? Bote and Sea Eagle or even INtex seem to be the best? I want mine to fish from, and if its a SUP my wife can use it.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
What inflatable kayak do you have? I am looking into them for travel with the RV (3 months out west) - I have kayaks but i wanted something easy to load and toss around in different situations. Do you like it and which one do you have? Bote and Sea Eagle or even INtex seem to be the best? I want mine to fish from, and if its a SUP my wife can use it.

A little spendy but very high quality, won't puncture easy. Very very sturdy in the river and tracks decently on lakes even though it doesn't have a rudder. You can get it pretty compact and weighs about 40lbs. I love it, I feel like it will last a very long time with no issues.

PHFT

Reaction score
Does anyone know what size square nut fits in the Roof Rails?

Thanks in advanced!

Update: bought a small box of square nuts with different sizes, the rails fit M8 square nuts and finally heard back and RSI confirms that is what they recommend for mounting things to the rails.

Last edited:

nswing

Reaction score
Made up some led strip lights with some left over channels I had, used RGB led strip lights so I can turn it on/off, change the colour, and dim it with my phone. The white light has a bit of a blue tint to it but I think it'll be easier on the eyes late at night and not completely ruin my night vision, but thats also why I wanted to be able to change it to red too. I'll be wiring up a switch panel, fuse box, and solar charge controller later on so I can turn other lights on, and charge phones, speakers or what ever while camping.
PHFT,

Nicely done. I've got the same setup, DECKED + SmartCap. Where did you run the wires for the LEDs from the ammo can with the battery to get it to the SmartCap? I see the hole you cut in the ammo can siding... where does it go from there? Thanks for the info.

PHFT

Reaction score
PHFT,

Nicely done. I've got the same setup, DECKED + SmartCap. Where did you run the wires for the LEDs from the ammo can with the battery to get it to the SmartCap? I see the hole you cut in the ammo can siding... where does it go from there? Thanks for the info.
So I didn't cut any holes in the decked those were just there for the different mounting points depending on the truck model I think, but I just ran it through that hole and up the side (you can see near the factory bed lights) and zip tied it to the 3rd brake light cable, then used some sticky sided magnet tape to hold the little control box into the back corner.

IMG_1129.jpg

Last edited:

PHFT

Reaction score
I love it!!! Thanks for the idea!
Thanks, I've had the idea for a while but wanted to wait for warmer weather to make peeling it off easier and needed to wait till my girlfriend had time to make the decals.

ez.allgood

Reaction score
I just pre-ordered one from a local dealer. They are saying June. I could have the white contractor version tomorrow, but I'm not sure how that would look on a white Rebel.
Any word on your cap? I ordered mine (paid full price) on April 27th and still no updates of when the shipment will be in. Getting kind of nervous as my family and I have a cross-country trip scheduled mid June and I’m really needing the cap

PHFT

Reaction score
So I ordered the RSI cross bars back on March 7th and they still haven't shown up, thankfully that gave me time to really think and do some searching and I found that the Prinsu Top Rack was a better fit for my needs. So I ordered the 47'' x 5' one and I think it fits nicely on the smart cap, only problem is that you need to order the Leer mounting feet also because the mounting feet that come with the rack don't work because the smart cap mounting rails are spaced further apart than other bed caps. Which I think should just be an option you choose at checkout rather than ordering those separately considering the price of the rack but oh well its on the truck and I love it.

IMG_1423.jpg IMG_1422.jpg

WHEELBURNS

Reaction score
Any word on your cap? I ordered mine (paid full price) on April 27th and still no updates of when the shipment will be in. Getting kind of nervous as my family and I have a cross-country trip scheduled mid June and I’m really needing the cap
Yep, came in. Had it installed on Tuesday.

ez.allgood

Reaction score
Yep, came in. Had it installed on Tuesday.
Good to hear. I'm still waiting. They say it's been at the port in customs for about 3 weeks with no expected time frame of when they will be cleared and shipped... I leave for a cross country trip next week for a week and a half. Was supposed to have this topper last month they said. Kinda planned the trip around having it. Fingers crossed it comes in before I leave

Reaction score
I went with the Commercial style because it was the only white version and I didn't care about windows. I like the look of it and the cost was not much more than the traditional fiberglass toppers for me (I live in Alaska). It is a solid topper with good looks in my opinion and has a lot of potential mods you can make without drilling through fiberglass. I will be adding a roof rack, and with 770 pounds of static weight the topper can support, I can pretty much throw whatever I want up there. The only thing I am not a fan of is where these toppers meet the cab. None of the varieties are as streamline as the fiberglass versions. 20210608_092417.jpg 20210608_092400.jpg

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I ordered one of the storage compartments almost 6 months ago and just got it today. Pictures and review to come!

Users who are viewing this thread