5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Ram solve the problem of warped Rambox lids on newly built vehicles?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My son has a friend with a 2020 Ram 2500 with Ram Boxes and the alignment looks like it's still true from manufacturing. But I think the box contour of the 2500 is different than a DT and not of the same mold, maybe not even the same supplier.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 049108 miles.
You're right about that. The 2500's still use 4th gen (DS) sheet metal, and 4th gen rambox design. Ram changed vendors for the 5th gens (DT). So the 2500 and 1500 ramboxes really have nothing in common but the name.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Mine are ever so slightly off on the new truck. Got an appointment to get it sorted before it chips paint on closing.

bill w

Reaction score
Just got my 2019 RAM with RamBox, traded my F150 in and so far I love not having all the junk on the floor in the back. The lids are warped but I thought there would be a solution to straightening them out. Isn't there any steel in the top? If there is you should be able to straighten them. Just wondering if anyone has tried that?

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Just got my 2019 RAM with RamBox, traded my F150 in and so far I love not having all the junk on the floor in the back. The lids are warped but I thought there would be a solution to straightening them out. Isn't there any steel in the top? If there is you should be able to straighten them. Just wondering if anyone has tried that?
It's under warrunty... There is Star Case for it.

Attachments

• MC-10183026-9999 Ram Box Fitment.pdf
    661.4 KB · Views: 148

RAMTrkGN

Reaction score
My ram boxes may not be perfect, but close enough. Use them daily.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is no steel in the top. The lid is actually the black plastic inner section. The painted section is just an applique, and provides no real structure. I was tired of dealing with the service advisor, so I took matters into my own hands. I was able to improve how mine look when closed by adjusting the fitment between the lid and applique. Now I need to adjust the striker to improve the gaps, so I purchased the special tool that's listed in the Star Case referenced above. The one thing you can't adjust is the "potato chip effect" or bowing. It looks like they improved the design of the lid, so any that were made after 3/30/2020 should be the improved version. I may just end up buying new lids on my own dime if I'm not satisfied after adjusting the striker. They really aren't that expensive, and you just reuse your applique so there's nothing to paint.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
There is no steel in the top. The lid is actually the black plastic inner section. The painted section is just an applique, and provides no real structure. I was tired of dealing with the service advisor, so I took matters into my own hands. I was able to improve how mine look when closed by adjusting the fitment between the lid and applique. Now I need to adjust the striker to improve the gaps, so I purchased the special tool that's listed in the Star Case referenced above. The one thing you can't adjust is the "potato chip effect" or bowing. It looks like they improved the design of the lid, so any that were made after 3/30/2020 should be the improved version. I may just end up buying new lids on my own dime if I'm not satisfied after adjusting the striker. They really aren't that expensive, and you just reuse your applique so there's nothing to paint.
How much was the 'special tool' if you don't mind my asking...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you go through that process, please document it for the membership here. My own lids (built 8/2018) have been fine, but I know it's been a popular topic for discussion.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How much was the 'special tool' if you don't mind my asking...
Ended up being $117.50 shipped. Not cheap, but if it works it will be worth it. I also need it to adjust the lids on the wife's Limited.

If you go through that process, please document it for the membership here. My own lids (built 8/2018) have been fine, but I know it's been a popular topic for discussion.
That was my plan. (y)

DivingOtter

Reaction score
So took it to the dealer today, They tried to adjust the lids by removing the bolts and then I volunteered the pdf on my jump drive.
" Oh.... We've never seen this before and don't have that tool. We are ordering it now and will call you as soon as it get in to fix them. Give us a week or so to get the tool."

No problems, just not done yet...

Ablaze66

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking through the forums because I have this same issue on my 2021 Ramboxes, they did not fix the issues. I am dreading having to deal with the dealer on this because they already tried to say no recalls are in effect for this. Ugh

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn Limited with RamBox and MFT and I love both. I have NOT experienced any warping or misalignment on the RamBox lids, they close firmly and without any warping. And, the MFT is particularly useful for loading and unloading.

brikozy

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn Limited with RamBox and MFT and I love both. I have NOT experienced any warping or misalignment on the RamBox lids, they close firmly and without any warping. And, the MFT is particularly useful for loading and unloading.
My 2019 had the warping issues, and I’m happy to say my 2022 ramboxes are straight and warp-free, even after a few months of heavy use.

Yangster

Reaction score
I have a 21 Ltd Longhorn with Rambox and MFT. Love both. I use one side for holding my golf crap and an extra putter. The other side for utility crap like gloves, straps, cordless air pump, fire exting... My buddy uses one of his Rambox to hold 3-4 rifles and ammo (goes to his farm every weekend). My ammo goes in the rear seat floor storage compartment. Gotta love the extra storage bins!

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First time having them. I love them and I’m ok if they warp a little.

It’s a cut out of the bed of the truck so I’m not expecting it to be perfect. The function of it alone is worth it to overlook some minor warping.

I would only worry if I can’t close it, or if the warp is so bad that I can put my fingers on the sides.

Other than that, when my warranty is close to being up, if it’s warping even a little, I can get it serviced.

2022 Ram 1500 Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

Rich6896

Reaction score
I have a 21 Ltd Longhorn with Rambox and MFT. Love both. I use one side for holding my golf crap and an extra putter. The other side for utility crap like gloves, straps, cordless air pump, fire exting... My buddy uses one of his Rambox to hold 3-4 rifles and ammo (goes to his farm every weekend). My ammo goes in the rear seat floor storage compartment. Gotta love the extra storage bins!
I play a lot of golf. I've never needed an extra putter. Are you an angry golfer? Or do you threaten your primary putter with replacement if it misses a 3-footer?

Yangster

Reaction score
I play a lot of golf. I've never needed an extra putter. Are you an angry golfer? Or do you threaten your primary putter with replacement if it misses a 3-footer?
Nope, not angry, but I do get even. LOL. I have a nice Scotty that's in time out right now.:ROFLMAO: When the Taylor Made Spider stops working, I switch back. Some of the guys I play with have 6 or 7 in their garage! It's such a mental thing and I like most fanatics are such a mental case. You do know that GOLF is a 4-letter word.

morrpar

Reaction score
I guess it comes down you your priorities, If you want a smooth look , don't get Ramboxes. But I am glad to be able to choose to have them.
I disagree that they are not popular, I see them on many trucks.

I have had them on my truck for almost 6 years. There is some minor mis-alignment, but I think they still look pretty good. I REALLY like them.
I have been known to say that I would never buy a truck with out them. However, they were unavailable when I was configuring my current order. It was almost a dealbreaker.
I know that I will miss them.

From the images on this thread, I think there may be some issues with the current design.

Users who are viewing this thread