5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skip e-torque?

vdemarco

Reaction score
i have the etorque in mine, only 800 miles. but the start stop is pretty seamless. it now seems weird when i drive our 2011 durango.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
I test drove both 5.7 varriants back to back and didnt feel any difference. The truck I like has the e-torque, I dont mind the extra $200, but I'm just worried that it's something extra that can break, need servicing, or maybe even hinder resale down the line.. thoughts?
I skipped it myself. I understand the warranty aspect but it doesnt cover the headaches, schedule impacts, and overall dealership PITA. Aside from that it's only really advantageous for stop/go scenarios, which I do very little of

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I skipped it myself. I understand the warranty aspect but it doesnt cover the headaches, schedule impacts, and overall dealership PITA. Aside from that it's only really advantageous for stop/go scenarios, which I do very little of
Start/stop is only the most obvious benefit, but I know this has been discussed many times on this forum. For what it’s worth, I’ve had zero issues so far, so zero schedule impacts or headaches in 22 months.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Start/stop is only the most obvious benefit, but I know this has been discussed many times on this forum. For what it’s worth, I’ve had zero issues so far, so zero schedule impacts or headaches in 22 months.
That's good to hear. Just wish theyd made it a true hybrid electric system. It feels too gimmicky when it doesnt even substantially improve mpg

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once you read and watch videos about what eTorque does, you'll understand why 99% of people will see zero fuel mileage benefit from it. It does nothing except aid in starts from 0 to a few miles per hour and "smooth out" transmission shifts on a transmission that's already world class. So, the benefit you get from eTorque is almost non-existant. But, the drawbacks are many. It costs more to purchase, it adds weight, it adds complexity, it adds future repair costs, etc. Heck, last I checked the MGU alone was a $1,400 item. For me eTorque would be a hard pass. I'd rather use the money on something useful.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
no offense to people who have the 12” u-connect and e-torque but those were two things that were a deal breaker for me. Benefits didn’t come close to outweighing the issues. Wanted nothing to do with either of those options

myles

Reaction score
1st off i have the ecodiesel, but the e-torque seems like a half-a**ed way to keep the EPA happy. From everybody on this forum there doesn't seem to be any real world MPG improvements and if i remember right the e-torque system shuts off after like 20mph so its pretty much only good in stop and go traffic. If it would have been a full hybrid I think it would have made a bigger difference. So if i had to pick between ET and non-ET i would go without it. BUT the ET *might?* have a higher resale value?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
1st off i have the ecodiesel, but the e-torque seems like a half-a**ed way to keep the EPA happy. From everybody on this forum there doesn't seem to be any real world MPG improvements and if i remember right the e-torque system shuts off after like 20mph so its pretty much only good in stop and go traffic. If it would have been a full hybrid I think it would have made a bigger difference. So if i had to pick between ET and non-ET i would go without it. BUT the ET *might?* have a higher resale value?
IDK. I’ve always chosen vehicles without start/stop if given the chance, as I despise these systems.

vdemarco

Reaction score
No offense take at all. If you are avoiding the 12" screen cuz of electronics, the entire truck is just full of electronics. Just look at alphaODB. Even the accessories which used to be run by a simple switch are now controlled by the BCM and the CAN network.

I am not saying you did the wrong thing (or that i am correct) only time will tell.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at Fuelly numbers for 2020 Ram 1500s with V8 engines (all trims), eTorque-equipped trucks are averaging almost 12% better fuel economy (16.2 mpg vs. 14.5 mpg) while tracking almost the same number of vehicles (46 vs. 44).

The 2019 numbers showed much less of an advantage (roughly 3%), but the stats are also skewed (i.e. 3x as many non-eTorque trucks reporting in 2019, early builds tended to be high-spec, etc.).

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the engine is shut of at a stoplight or sitting in a drivethrough, it is not burning fuel. That time spent turned off is fuel saved that a truck without etorque would have used, Ram says the truck burns about 2 oz of fuel every 90 seconds while idling. If you don't do a lot of city driving you won't see much of any differance but if you spend a good bit of time sitting at stoplights then you will start to see the benefits of the system.

Rebel714

Reaction score
After owning the e-torque for a couple of weeks I’ve noticed that it helps the truck in a few different ways. The first is that you don’t feel the truck stop start activation it happens within 400 ms and is basically imperceivable to the driver. The second benefit of the e-torque system that it places a slight amount of drag during low speed breaking which help slow the vehicle down without putting to much wear and tear on the brake pads. The third benefit that it provides is a back up jump system for your vehicle in case your main 12 V battery should die. One of the biggest differences that e-torque makes is the ability to spool up and down the crankshaft during transmission upshift and downshift creating a seamless and smooth transition between the gears. When I begin my search for a ram rebel I initially only trucks without it but after driving a truck with the e-torque feature I wouldn’t buy one without it. Surprisingly the only thing that I haven’t seen is great gas mileage. I drive in the city every day with mixed highway use and I see roughly 14 combined.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After owning the e-torque for a couple of weeks I’ve noticed that it helps the truck in a few different ways. The first is that you don’t feel the truck stop start activation it happens within 400 ms and is basically imperceivable to the driver. The second benefit of the e-torque system that it places a slight amount of drag during low speed breaking which help slow the vehicle down without putting to much wear and tear on the brake pads. The third benefit that it provides is a back up jump system for your vehicle in case your main 12 V battery should die. One of the biggest differences that e-torque makes is the ability to spool up and down the crankshaft during transmission upshift and downshift creating a seamless and smooth transition between the gears. When I begin my search for a ram rebel I initially only trucks without it but after driving a truck with the e-torque feature I wouldn’t buy one without it. Surprisingly the only thing that I haven’t seen is great gas mileage. I drive in the city every day with mixed highway use and I see roughly 14 combined.

First benefit is not a benefit; I don't want start/stop in the first place.
Second benefit, drag, is like a 0.1 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yes it's a benefit in the same way that silver paint is a benefit over black in hot locations; very few people actually care.
Third benefit; a jumper pack is much less trouble, cheaper, and works for other people too.

I really don't see the point of it in the current implementation, but had I picked a truck up with it on the lot instead of ordering what I wanted, I wouldn't have passed it over, it's just very gimmicky IMO.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
edit: what ^silver billet^ said

Imo dont really consider the 1st a benefit, just an attribute. 2and & 3rd dont overcome the failure of the last point (no real mpg benefit)

Last edited:

Rebel714

Reaction score
It’s really just personal opinion at the end of the day, either you think it’s cool and you like having it in your truck, or you look at it critically and see that it isn’t nearly as useful as it sounds on paper.
There are a lot of so called “advantages” that I didn’t mention But I personally like the system, or at least until I find out it’s not compatible with Supercharger x,y, or z.

Rebel714

Reaction score
First benefit is not a benefit; I don't want start/stop in the first place.
Second benefit, drag, is like a 0.1 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yes it's a benefit in the same way that silver paint is a benefit over black in hot locations; very few people actually care.
Third benefit; a jumper pack is much less trouble, cheaper, and works for other people too.

I really don't see the point of it in the current implementation, but had I picked a truck up with it on the lot instead of ordering what I wanted, I wouldn't have passed it over, it's just very gimmicky IMO.

It’s more than .01, low speed drag is perceivable when decelerating under 20-25mph. Where I do not feel the drag is on the highway.

shurik74

Reaction score
Once you read and watch videos about what eTorque does, you'll understand why 99% of people will see zero fuel mileage benefit from it. It does nothing except aid in starts from 0 to a few miles per hour and "smooth out" transmission shifts on a transmission that's already world class. So, the benefit you get from eTorque is almost non-existant. But, the drawbacks are many. It costs more to purchase, it adds weight, it adds complexity, it adds future repair costs, etc. Heck, last I checked the MGU alone was a $1,400 item. For me eTorque would be a hard pass. I'd rather use the money on something useful.

Nailed it... I've been reading a lot on eTorque and having experience with real hybrid vehicles, I decided to go with non eTorque! In other hand, who cares about extra 1 or 2 mpg saving when you purchase a truck/vehicle $50-60K+ . Just my 2c

smashweights

Reaction score
I hit a stop light nearly every mile on a 6 Mile drive to work. I have noticed now that I'm using the remote start to run AC more that mpg has dropped 0.5 to 1.0 mpg. I'd bet the eTorque saves that much idle time in my drive. I get about 16/23 mpg hand calc. Very likely wasn't worth the cost in 2019 models but now that it's $200 I think it's a good system for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread