5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Adaptive Cruise Control

ProKubinator

Reaction score
Im really wanting to add adaptive cruise control to my 2019 Laramie 1500. I have the camera in the rearview mirror that does that rain sensing and auto high beam sensing, I believe this is referred to as the DASM (Drivers Assistance System Module), and already has the radar built in for the adaptive cruise control, as well as lane keep assist. Anyone have any background if I would be able to order the switches or new steering wheel with the extra buttons on it and program the truck to have this feature enabled? I have a feeling that camera behind the rear view mirror is already capable of this, but its just not enabled and missing the switches on the steering wheel and above the 12 inch screen.

Boston

Reaction score
There are so many electronic sensors, infra red ECUs brake system modifications etc etc that the only way forward is to sell your truck and buy a new one

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
There are so many electronic sensors, infra red ECUs brake system modifications etc etc that the only way forward is to sell your truck and buy a new one
^^^ This ^^^

It’s not just the DSM. There are multiple systems that this ties into, as well as the required computer programming.
If you could get it to work, you will spend so much money that you will be better off getting a truck with these feature built in.

I’ll try to post the service document later. It‘s not for the faint of heart.

Cheers,

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im really wanting to add adaptive cruise control to my 2019 Laramie 1500. I have the camera in the rearview mirror that does that rain sensing and auto high beam sensing, I believe this is referred to as the DASM (Drivers Assistance System Module), and already has the radar built in for the adaptive cruise control, as well as lane keep assist. Anyone have any background if I would be able to order the switches or new steering wheel with the extra buttons on it and program the truck to have this feature enabled? I have a feeling that camera behind the rear view mirror is already capable of this, but its just not enabled and missing the switches on the steering wheel and above the 12 inch screen.
Do you currently have lane assist or forward collision? If so, then you have the DASM. If you don’t have either, then you don’t have the DASM, and adding it requires the correct windshield. You don’t need the actual steering wheel, just the switch to install into the blank spot on your current wheel. You’ll also need a different ABS module. And you’ll need AlfaOBD to enable the settings in the BCM

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s actually very easy if you already have the DASM. If not, it’s still easy...just need a different windshield.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Most overrated feature in a vehicle ever offered unless you are asleep at the wheel. My Ram has it, as does a few other cars we have owned or currently own. It doesn’t react the way a good driver does. Cool gimmick like the self parking that I play with a few times, then forget and never use again.
Don’t waist your money.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Most overrated feature in a vehicle ever offered unless you are asleep at the wheel. My Ram has it, as does a few other cars we have owned or currently own. It doesn’t react the way a good driver does. Cool gimmick like the self parking that I play with a few times, then forget and never use again.
Don’t waist your money.

To each his/her own but I would disagree. If you take roadtrips it's VERY valuable. Of course it's not an auto-pilot that allows you to take your eyes off the road but the cruise works exactly as intended in my other vehicles that have it. I set it, and can rest my foot and know that it will bring the car to a complete stop and then re-accelerate up to my predetermined speed. I for one am glad they offer it and wouldn't have a vehicle without it. Now if you never take any roadtrips and only drive city or short commutes, I can understand why it wouldn't make sense.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Don’t waist your money.
Could not disagree more. Very useful feature.
Use it all the time on hwy trips, but like @Heminator said, to each his/her own.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t waist your money.
Its invaluable in B2B traffic. My prior car a Cadillac ELR had it and its prototype implementation was terrible, it was 100% unusable, would turn off or brake for no reason at all.

On my Longhorn it's great for highway roadtrips or traffic. set it at 5 mph over and let it do all the work, even braking to a hard stop and handling people cutting in and out.

Shortdustoff

Reaction score
Not sure the process with the Ram, but I added it to an F150 I owned. The parts were the easy thing, it was the programming and calibration that would be the show stopper for the Ram. There was a program called FORSCAN you could download and program a Ford with. Not aware of a equivalent for the Ram. Then again I haven’t looked either.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure the process with the Ram, but I added it to an F150 I owned. The parts were the easy thing, it was the programming and calibration that would be the show stopper for the Ram. There was a program called FORSCAN you could download and program a Ford with. Not aware of a equivalent for the Ram. Then again I haven’t looked either.
No problem for Rams. AlfaOBD is the equivalent of forscan.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
To each their own, we have it on my wife’s Subaru and now my Ram. In both cases it’s not nearly as smooth as I am in typical traffic, and sometimes overreacts like my father-in-law. Knock on wood, but I average 35,000-50,000 miles per year in the last 32 years of driving, with no accidents that this would have helped in. I love the concept I can see why some like it for long trips on boring highways, but it’s wise not to use it on I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs for example.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To each their own, we have it on my wife’s Subaru and now my Ram. In both cases it’s not nearly as smooth as I am in typical traffic, and sometimes overreacts like my father-in-law. Knock on wood, but I average 35,000-50,000 miles per year in the last 32 years of driving, with no accidents that this would have helped in. I love the concept I can see why some like it for long trips on boring highways, but it’s wise not to use it on I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs for example.
Heavy traffic is where it does best. If you can handle that it leaves a ton of room and people are going to be cutting you off constantly. I find I tend to let it drive and keep my foot on the gas just enough to close the gaps more than the lowest setting so I can simply lift off and it will handle the stop and go. Reminds me a lot of single pedal EV driving. On a wide open boring road, might as well use regular cruise.

My Subaru Outbacks' ACC is nowhere near as smooth. My experience with my cadillac was that it was a tech demo at best, and completely useless in real life. The RAM is very usable. It's not Tesla level amazingly good. Neither is Supercruise either. That again is more of a tech/marketing demo and not really useable either still. Tesla is a decade ahead of everyone.

Rhombus

Reaction score
Ran this on my wife's Tiguan last week. It all but slammed on the brake when a guy stopped in another lane to turn left. The guy behind me was NOT happy.

tdb0021

Reaction score
so, is there a way to do it? I just bought a 2019 big horn and I really miss having it. I had it in my JGC Summit and it's invaluable.

yes, there is a way to do it but I’m still trying to figure it out. Right now I have all the hardware required installed on my ram (DASM, HCU, ABS, and Cruise Switch) the only question is the software side of things. I’m still having trouble enabling it with alphaobd. I believe a calibration procedure is required which would then allow it to work. I’m waiting for the developer of alpha to add the feature. We’ve been in contact over the last few weeks.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
yes, there is a way to do it but I’m still trying to figure it out. Right now I have all the hardware required installed on my ram (DASM, HCU, ABS, and Cruise Switch) the only question is the software side of things. I’m still having trouble enabling it with alphaobd. I believe a calibration procedure is required which would then allow it to work. I’m waiting for the developer of alpha to add the feature. We’ve been in contact over the last few weeks.
Keep us updated please! I am very interested in this as I just purchased my 2019 Ram 1500 and I'd like to get this installed as well.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Keep us updated please! I am very interested in this as I just purchased my 2019 Ram 1500 and I'd like to get this installed as well.

will do. I’m determined to get it working at this point.
Maybe someone here might be able to help... right now I have a EPB warning light I can’t get rid of. The DTC is C2212: ECU in plant mode. I can’t figure out how to get rid of it. I’ve tried about everything I can in alpha with no luck. This came on after replacing the abs module and HCU. The EPB still works fine.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
will do. I’m determined to get it working at this point.
Maybe someone here might be able to help... right now I have a EPB warning light I can’t get rid of. The DTC is C2212: ECU in plant mode. I can’t figure out how to get rid of it. I’ve tried about everything I can in alpha with no luck. This came on after replacing the abs module and HCU. The EPB still works fine.
What are DASM, HCU? And How do I find out if I have "DASM, HCU, ABS"? TIA

tdb0021

Reaction score
DASM: Driver Assistance System Module - This is mounted behind the rear view mirror. You don't have it unless your truck is equipped with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). It is a radar and camera unit combined in one. It controls ACC, regular cruise control, lane sense, and auto hi beams.
HCU: Hydraulic Control Unit - you have a HCU but it's not the one you need for ACC. It is the Anti-Lock Brake pump.
ABS: Anti-Lock Brake System - you have this too but it's not the correct module for ACC. It is mounted to the HCU and controls it. It also controls the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and other stability functions.

Users who are viewing this thread