5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you house your Ram in a garage or outside?

Aberamrod19

Reaction score
similar situation as twinsac. I have mine in small garage and it hits front wall so i put foam noodles on wall to keep it from damaging wall and front of truck. My old truck was a 2012 ram and I never had it outside always in garage never trouble with salt or rust

Bellpa

Reaction score
In the process of building our house and spec'd an 18'x8' garage door so my Ram will fit comfy in there with my wife's Murano. Will be the first garage I ever get to park in - fulltime.

dsn112

Reaction score
In the process of building our house and spec'd an 18'x8' garage door so my Ram will fit comfy in there with my wife's Murano. Will be the first garage I ever get to park in - fulltime.

Am I missing something? My ram is 19ish feet long....

As to the OP, this is one of those posts I just don't get. Of course you park inside if you have the option. If you can't, you don't. So much overthinking.

Bellpa

Reaction score
Am I missing something? My ram is 19ish feet long....

As to the OP, this is one of those posts I just don't get. Of course you park inside if you have the option. If you can't, you don't. So much overthinking.
Trying to pull a Ram with tow mirror that do not fold into a standard 16' double wide garage door with another vehicle parked in there would not work. The 18' wide door allows straight pull into the garage versus folding mirrors or jockeying. The depth of my garage will be 29' so length isn't an issue.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have single car doors 9' wide. I can pull in without folding my mirrors but it is tighter. I see a lot of houses with 8' wide doors which are about useless as far as I'm concerned, even cars and crossovers are wider these days. Why not spend an extra few bucks and save yourself the hassle for the next 50 years pulling in and out of your garage without sideswiping the side of your vehicle.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 1948 ranch with a 1960s garage (maybe 18' x 18' square). I was limited on garage width (due to the adjacent property line), so I replaced the old 16' x 6.5' garage door with a 16' x 7' door to accommodate the truck's height, and I added 7' to the garage length to accommodate my truck, motorcycle, and workbench. I'm now able to park my Ram in the garage next to my wife's Q5 (she backs in so that we can both cozy up to the side walls and have room in the middle).

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I’m hoping to fit it in the garage when we move out of our condo and into a house. Shoveling 3ft of snow off in the morning isn’t fun...

If that fails, it’ll live outside on the driveway and my summer car will live in the garage over the winter (when I can get one...)

Bellpa

Reaction score
I have a 1948 ranch with a 1960s garage (maybe 18' x 18' square). I was limited on garage width (due to the adjacent property line), so I replaced the old 16' x 6.5' garage door with a 16' x 7' door to accommodate the truck's height, and I added 7' to the garage length to accommodate my truck, motorcycle, and workbench. I'm now able to park my Ram in the garage next to my wife's Q5 (she backs in so that we can both cozy up to the side walls and have room in the middle).
That's great to hear that you can now park your Ram in there now. I wanted to make sure I have room for added height for future lift and to have room on both sides of the truck when pulled straight in. It's nice to have the option to preplan while building versus adapting afterwards.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's great to hear that you can now park your Ram in there now. I wanted to make sure I have room for added height for future lift and to have room on both sides of the truck when pulled straight in. It's nice to have the option to preplan while building versus adapting afterwards.
To be fair, I was the architect for the additions and renovations, and I designed the garage to fit my previous truck (which was a little longer). I could’ve gone with an 8’ tall door, but it would’ve looked out of proportion with this little single-story house.

Anyway, I completely agree with you that it’s much easier (and less restrictive) to plan ahead and build what you want from the start.

byebyebowtie

Reaction score
my truck would fit by about an inch on all sides (including the ceiling). I do want to pull it in one time just to say i did.

Rebel 12

Reaction score
Garage. to keep it out of the sun in the summer. and so I don't have to clean off snow in the winter.

knightro84

Reaction score
My truck goes in the single bay of the 3-car garage, mainly because there is an extra 8 feet of length for that bay but also because my wife parks her CR-V in the middle of the two car bay so that it is easier to get the twins in and out of their car seats. It is a standard 96x84 door - I fold my mirrors in and don't have any issues.

Fornstar

Reaction score
In the driveway in the PNW. The garage is my domain and that is where my woodshop is. Its my room to do whatever I want in there. When I do get a chance to spend time in there I normally just stand around with a game on TV drinking a beer and scratching my butt.

BadAspSVT

Reaction score
My new Ram purchase is now going to cost me more money as I have decided to rearrange my entire garage to fit her. I plan on a whole garage storage system with the adjustable rails, galvanized peg board for all of my tools, etc. Yippee!

kdavighi

Reaction score
Do you keep your RAM indoors, or do you leave it outside? Some people say keeping in outdoors in the winter is better because the salt from the snow and slush doesn't oxidize when it stays frozen, and when the salt water melts on the body, then it causes vehicles to rust out worse. I'm torn on this and just want what is best for my RAM. What do y'all do?
Garage all the way. If I need to get the salt off (i live in the Northeast) i just take it to a brushless car wash. Gets enough of the grime off

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got moved in a couple of weeks ago and I'm still deciding how to fit the stuff in. I think this works out a little better. No need to fold mirrors. 20191010_172331.jpg

The Camaro fits in the short 3rd bay.

Users who are viewing this thread