5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you house your Ram in a garage or outside?

RamZone93

Reaction score
Do you keep your RAM indoors, or do you leave it outside? Some people say keeping in outdoors in the winter is better because the salt from the snow and slush doesn't oxidize when it stays frozen, and when the salt water melts on the body, then it causes vehicles to rust out worse. I'm torn on this and just want what is best for my RAM. What do y'all do?

gpbst3

Reaction score
Garage. Never even give road salt a thought.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted to keep it in my larger garage, but too many engines and bodies are in there for now .. I ordered the North Package (aka Block Heater) since it will be sitting outside all this winter (and I have the 4-corner air suspension) :(

we were told these trucks aren't made to be driven in the winter .. LOL

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you keep your RAM indoors, or do you leave it outside? Some people say keeping in outdoors in the winter is better because the salt from the snow and slush doesn't oxidize when it stays frozen, and when the salt water melts on the body, then it causes vehicles to rust out worse. I'm torn on this and just want what is best for my RAM. What do y'all do?
Garage. I don’t take it out much in inclement weather. And we rarely have any “real” snow.

Cross88

Reaction score
Strictly outside, not a big enough garage on base, plus it’s a single car and the wifes explorer ST goes in there. I wish I could garage her tho.

Gardner

Reaction score
Mine will be garaged - barely. It's almost too long for my 24' garage since I have a few inches of "stuff" stored in front of it. I can barely get by the tailgate with the door closed.
I'm in SW Michigan and my garage is not heated. However, it's insulated and with two cars parked, the residual engine block heat helps a lot. It seldom gets below 40.
The other thing most people forget about is sunlight. The UV rays will fade and fade paint relentlessly. My previous vehicle, a 2002 model, still had shiny paint. Except where the rust appeared, and actually there wasn't much rust - just over the rear wheel wells.
It's a big investment, so mine will stay "indoors". Besides, the roof keeps the bird poop off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019 Bighorn Crew cab, 4x4, 3.21 rear and the usual standard stuff. Build date was 11/18.
Options: Delmonico Red, Cloth buckets, level 2 equip package (8.4 in screen and other stuff).
5.7 Hemi, Ram SS running boards and also, an after market American tonneau fabric cover.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driveway. I keep telling my wife our next house will have a garage big enough to fit my truck in comfortably. I hate leaving it outside but a standard two car garage on a standard house now a days isn't deep enough for a full size pickup

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine's been outside since delivery. Now that I'm moving to Michigan I'll garage it. It'll stay in during storms and wait for the roads to get cleared and dry. My Jeep will will become the crummy weather vehicle. Maybe I'll be like a bear and hibernate. ;)

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I park mine in the garage when I'm home but it does spend a lot of time outside at work and such. It is nice not to have the dew and frost on the truck every morning, stays cleaner and easier to see out.

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Garage for me. Had it for almost a year now and it looks better than the day I drove it home.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Outside. Doesn't fit in my garage thanks to the longbed. My next house will have an XL garage for this reason and others.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Outside/driveway. My 3 car garage is only 20ft long, not worth the hassle trying to fit in every day. CA sun would be the only concern.

RamZone93

Reaction score
Yeah, guys, these are some interesting comments. Seems like most people who keep it outside just can't fit it into their garage. My last car was a Charger and I would park in the garage every night when I got home from work. The Ram is too big for my old garage lol. My concern is the sun. Last winter, I would hose off the undercarriage of my Ram after it snowed a lot, and I haven't had any issues. Thinking about getting a little awning from my house to over my driveway just to act as shade from the sun. I've also been thinking about buying a used Fiat 500 just to have a little car that has good fuel economy and I can drive it around in the winter, so I don't rack up miles on my Ram. (Even though I love driving it, lol)

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A good ceramic coating or sealant will protect the paint from UV damage. In the summer I use a sunshade for the front window to keep the interior cooler and protected as well.

Ramster

Reaction score
Mine will be outside. I'm thinking of that lanolin spray for the underbody to keep the rust down. I'm 60 so by the time it rusts in two I won't give two hoots.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Mine is in the driveway, Its too long to fit into the garage by about a foot. I just bought a cover and received it Friday.
I bought it from Car Cover World the Weathershield HD C18121HG Color : Gray 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 ft short bed with 2 mirror pockets. This is tailor made like a fine suit specific to the exact model. They are put into production 24 hours after your purchase is complete. With a 10% discount it cost me $675.00
I wanted excellent protection from the sun and hail. In Houston all is possible. I had bought a grey cover from eBay for under $50. Its pure crap and it leaks water like a crazy. The fit was generic and looked horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread