5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you house your Ram in a garage or outside?

MQQSE

Reaction score
Air conditioned Mancave! I'm so crazy about keeping my vehicles out of the elements, unless I'm using them, I would go crazy if they sat out in the dirt, rain, etc. My truck stays on the West Coast AZ and San Diego, so it's not going to see salt weathered roads, no way. There are times I even clean my frame rails.

Attachments

• Gtruck.jpg
    Gtruck.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 93

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Air conditioned Mancave! I'm so crazy about keeping my vehicles out of the elements, unless I'm using them, I would go crazy if they sat out in the dirt, rain, etc. My truck stays on the West Coast AZ and San Diego, so it's not going to see salt weathered roads, no way. There are times I even clean my frame rails.
How do you condition it? Central air, ductless mini-split, window unit? I’m thinking of adding a ductless mini-split to mine...

Neokane

Reaction score
Garage. Except when at work. So it spends some days and nights outside (swing shift)

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plus you have a watch dog guarding it!

clam

Reaction score
I park my truck in the garage, and I don’t get any snow down here so salt is not an issue. However, the heat is brutal in the summer so garage parking is a must to keep the interior cool.

MQQSE

Reaction score
How do you condition it? Central air, ductless mini-split, window unit? I’m thinking of adding a ductless mini-split to mine...
Ductless mini split and evaporative cooler. Depending on how dry it is I run the evap. It's more efficient, and on dry days it's very effective. The evaporative is great when you first pull your vehicles into the shop, too. You can also keep doors open and things stay cool. But of course, for anyone in a humid climate forget it - you go with the mini split and keep the doors windows closed. And the mini split is amazing.

Ranger482

Reaction score
Mine stays in the garage. Best of both worlds as it is detached and not heated so if any snow/ice/salt accumulates in the winter, it won’t melt when I pull it into the garage.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is currently outside, hoping to get out of the townhouse and buy a house with a garage big enough to get her inside.
I didn't have to clean frost/snow off my vehicle for the past 4+ years before moving here and it was so nice.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine stays in the garage. Best of both worlds as it is detached and not heated so if any snow/ice/salt accumulates in the winter, it won’t melt when I pull it into the garage.
Can you explain why it's better if the snow does not melt off? I've never heard that before.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I keep my truck in the garage. I have enough room to open the tailgate with the garage door closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger482

Reaction score
Can you explain why it's better if the snow does not melt off? I've never heard that before.
There's a thought that the constant melting of the salt/brine solution causes it to seep into smaller places and also "activates" the salt so that it becomes corrosive to metal. If it stays frozen until you can get to a car wash and remove it, you can avoid it becoming corrosive. Also, not great to have 40 lbs of salt melting on your garage floor.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is half and half in garage and outside. Thankfully I’m in Seattle so mine will really never see bad road salt or heavy snow often.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Outside. Unfortunately my garage is no where near big enough even if it were completely empty.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a thought that the constant melting of the salt/brine solution causes it to seep into smaller places and also "activates" the salt so that it becomes corrosive to metal. If it stays frozen until you can get to a car wash and remove it, you can avoid it becoming corrosive. Also, not great to have 40 lbs of salt melting on your garage floor.
Thanks for the explanation. Think I’ll still keep mine in the garage!

TwinSac

Reaction score
Garage...barely. I have under 2" to spare. Need to pull bumper up to the wall; neutral to get off the wall by a fraction. Garage door misses rear bumper by under an inch.

In California we don't have salt on roads.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ranger482

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Think I’ll still keep mine in the garage!
I don't blame you, in either scenario best to get that salt off as soon as possible no matter what.

BadAspSVT

Reaction score
Outside for now. I have to completely rearrange my garage as soon as I have some time (I am sure this will turn into a huge project) in order to get my Limited in but she will fit. I have to slide my custom built 8" workbench to the side wall and reconfigure everything that is currently on that side wall.

Users who are viewing this thread