5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

faithwalker

Reaction score
Replaced my vanity mirror, cargo, and third brake lights to LED tonight with the LEDs below. Love the color of the 5-6k light over the yellow incandescent light.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I took my truck in for wind noise in the sunroof, they adjusted it and it works well now. I also got its 1st oil change, had them put in synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDF84

Reaction score
Hüper Optik ceramic tint 30% front and rear. And LLumar Air 80 on the front windshield. Turned out really nice and stays so much cooler!
523518596595ca8357edb25a9cf49268.jpg
f623fb9db27a354b7aa994cc67846205.jpg
1b60c5438075134ee872ab1e82e0460f.jpg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the front windows tinted to 50%. It's legal limit and will reduce heat into the cab through those windows by almost half. We'll see how it affects real-world temps. Appearance is a minor benefit. Reducing heat/glare was my main objective.

View attachment 29842

Did you only get tint on the front? The back windows only have the factory tint?

I've been reading up on tint films and see that there are new "ceramic" tint films that have a reasonably high amount of rejection for IR. A percent of IR rejection that is independent of the visible light rejection. Does the factory tint on the back windows do that (reject significant IR)?

I was assuming not. So, even if you didn't want them darker, if you want to cut heat it seems like you might go with a very light tint all around the back and sides that still does a lot of IR rejection.

But, if you didn't get the back tinted at all, is that because you know something about the IR rejection on the factory tint?

I was just looking at specs for SunTek films and they have a 5% film (i.e. almost clear) that still supposedly blocks over 80% of IR. I assume other brands of film have similar offerings.

To stay VA legal, I'm thinking about just doing 50% all the way around. Your front windows with the 50% look good to me. I like to still be able to see out reasonably well at night.... I'm old and I had Lasik years ago. I don't see in the dark as well as I did when I was a lot younger.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hüper Optik ceramic tint 30% front and rear. And LLumar Air 80 on the front windshield. Turned out really nice and stays so much cooler!
523518596595ca8357edb25a9cf49268.jpg
f623fb9db27a354b7aa994cc67846205.jpg
1b60c5438075134ee872ab1e82e0460f.jpg

That looks sharp! Thanks for posting the pics. If that's 30%, it makes me feel better about going with 50% for mine. Yours looks awesome, but I don't want my windows that dark. I think it would be a little be too hard for me to see out to the sides at night.

Your back windows look almost limo dark. Which I guess would be about right. 30% film on top of a 20% factory tint should result in a final of about 6%.....

PDF84

Reaction score
Did you only get tint on the front? The back windows only have the factory tint?

I've been reading up on tint films and see that there are new "ceramic" tint films that have a reasonably high amount of rejection for IR. A percent of IR rejection that is independent of the visible light rejection. Does the factory tint on the back windows do that (reject significant IR)?

I was assuming not. So, even if you didn't want them darker, if you want to cut heat it seems like you might go with a very light tint all around the back and sides that still does a lot of IR rejection.

But, if you didn't get the back tinted at all, is that because you know something about the IR rejection on the factory tint?

I was just looking at specs for SunTek films and they have a 5% film (i.e. almost clear) that still supposedly blocks over 80% of IR. I assume other brands of film have similar offerings.

To stay VA legal, I'm thinking about just doing 50% all the way around. Your front windows with the 50% look good to me. I like to still be able to see out reasonably well at night.... I'm old and I had Lasik years ago. I don't see in the dark as well as I did when I was a lot younger.

So the front windshield is 80% llumar ceramic. I had 30% done on the front two windows as well as 30% done on the rear, and back windows over the factory privacy glass. It made the rear windows a little darker than they were but not too much darker.

The truck originally had some cheap dealer installed dyed film just on the front two windows. I had that removed and the hüper optik applied too every window. With the exception of the front windshield that has the 80% llumar air film.

timtlu

Reaction score
So the front windshield is 80% llumar ceramic. I had 30% done on the front two windows as well as 30% done on the rear, and back windows over the factory privacy glass. It made the rear windows a little darker than they were but not too much darker.

The truck originally had some cheap dealer installed dyed film just on the front two windows. I had that removed and the hüper optik applied too every window. With the exception of the front windshield that has the 80% llumar air film.

If you don't mind, how much does something like this cost? I've never had any type of aftermarket tint installed. For whatever reason, I've always just considered it a cosmetic thing and hadn't considered heat gain/loss implications.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

5% tint is limo dark, so definitely not what you are looking for.

PDF84

Reaction score
If you don't mind, how much does something like this cost? I've never had any type of aftermarket tint installed. For whatever reason, I've always just considered it a cosmetic thing and hadn't considered heat gain/loss implications.

I believe it was $390 for the 4 side and rear windows. And an additional $225 for the front windshield so all in $615. They had cheaper options but I went with the best they had that offered the highest heat rejection. I’m really impressed with how much tinting the front windshield helped.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
I believe it was $390 for the 4 side and rear windows. And an additional $225 for the front windshield so all in $615. They had cheaper options but I went with the best they had that offered the highest heat rejection. I’m really impressed with how much tinting the front windshield helped.

That's funny I went to the same place a week ago to get my Laramie done but didnt know they did the Air 80, so I only got a strip at the top of the windshield.

How do you deal with your toll tag and registration sticker with the air 80?

PDF84

Reaction score
That's funny I went to the same place a week ago to get my Laramie done but didnt know they did the Air 80, so I only got a strip at the top of the windshield.

How do you deal with your toll tag and registration sticker with the air 80?

You can kinda see from the pic they were able to safely remove them and save them. They cut out some type of cling type film and put them on that and they cling to the windshield.
7cb64e2c4b8450e4f02a67b2253807b6.jpg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can kinda see from the pic they were able to safely remove them and save them. They cut out some type of cling type film and put them on that and they cling to the windshield.

Any idea what you'll do when it's time for a new inspection sticker?

I had never thought about getting film on my windshield, but you got me thinking about it for the additional heat rejection. But, we have those same state inspection stickers on the windshield here in VA. Have to get a new one every year. I'm not sure how it would go over for me to tell the inspector "hey, I need you to put my sticker on a piece of cling film instead of directly on the windshield." I think state law requires them to put it on the windshield and in a certain specific location.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
7cb64e2c4b8450e4f02a67b2253807b6.jpg

Keep an eye out for cell phone screen protectors that are static cling. I cleaned out Best Buy one day on a clearance protector for some discontinued phone. Then put your new stickers on them, cut to size, and stick them to your tinted windshield. Also makes your eToll tag movable.

drush

Reaction score
Ordered Mopar slush mats, Mopar running boards, Mopar bug deflector and Husky models mud flaps. This is the second most excited I’ve ever been in life. The first was of course when I bought the truck. Headed for divorce!

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not bad at all. A little more road noise at high speeds, but hey, they’re an AT tire.
Another pic of the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I think I've correctly reset my speedometer for these slightly taller tires using the Pulsar. The tires ride very well for an all terrain tire.

Attachments

• Nitto Ridge Grappler 9.jpg
    Nitto Ridge Grappler 9.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 172

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Ordered Mopar slush mats, Mopar running boards, Mopar bug deflector and Husky models mud flaps. This is the second most excited I’ve ever been in life. The first was of course when I bought the truck. Headed for divorce!
Where were you able to find the best prices on the slush mats, bug deflector and mud flaps?

drush

Reaction score
Where were you able to find the best prices on the slush mats, bug deflector and mud flaps?
The deflector and slush mats I just bought from the dealer. I don’t really know of any other sources in canada. The mud flaps were cheapest on amazon but I paid a few bucks more to a local shop I wanted to support as they’ve been good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread