5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

XPEL or any other Paint Protection Experiences

ericd

Reaction score
Wow, Thank all of you for sharing your experiences and wisdom. I greatly appreciate it and look forward to exchanging much more great dialogue as my new 5th Gen Ram adventure grows.
I'm in the same area as you. I'm on my 3rd ram. 2 had XPEL on the full front and bumpers. 1 did not. It makes a world of difference. I drive about 60 miles round trip on the highway each day for work. My first truck got destroyed with rock chips. The other 2 both got XPEL within the first week of owning. It completely protects from rock chips. Not a single one on either vehicle. I will never buy a vehicle again without budgeting in a front XPEL wrap. As for price my guy did both my trucks and for my current Limited it was $900 for the kit that I attached. I wouldn't necessarily say you need to do the hood and mirrors. I've never taken a hit on either but it's certainly possible. If you're looking to not spend a fortune the front lower bumper is gonna take 99% of your damage. If you're gonna get it just make sure to do it right away and schedule your appointment for right when you pick it up. No sense in putting a wrap over an existing chip. If you're interested I can give you my installers name. He's really good and very friendly

1593262441982.png

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm in the same area as you. I'm on my 3rd ram. 2 had XPEL on the full front and bumpers. 1 did not. It makes a world of difference. I drive about 60 miles round trip on the highway each day for work. My first truck got destroyed with rock chips. The other 2 both got XPEL within the first week of owning. It completely protects from rock chips. Not a single one on either vehicle. I will never buy a vehicle again without budgeting in a front XPEL wrap. As for price my guy did both my trucks and for my current Limited it was $900 for the kit that I attached. I wouldn't necessarily say you need to do the hood and mirrors. I've never taken a hit on either but it's certainly possible. If you're looking to not spend a fortune the front lower bumper is gonna take 99% of your damage. If you're gonna get it just make sure to do it right away and schedule your appointment for right when you pick it up. No sense in putting a wrap over an existing chip. If you're interested I can give you my installers name. He's really good and very friendly

View attachment 60273
$900 is WAY too much for just a front bumper. That’s a $400-500 job at best.

ericd

Reaction score
$900 is WAY too much for just a front bumper. That’s a $400-500 job at best.
It's $450 just for the material. Another $400 for labor isn't that extreme for a several hour job

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's $450 just for the material. Another $400 for labor isn't that extreme for a several hour job
Who are you kidding...it is NOT $450 for just material. 99% of all professional installers buy this material by the roll...use a template and custom cut it with a plotter. Material cost is not more than $100. If you really think the material is $450, I have a bridge to nowhere I'd love to sell you too.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who are you kidding...it is NOT $450 for just material. 99% of all professional installers buy this material by the roll...use a template and custom cut it with a plotter. Material cost is not more than $100. If you really think the material is $450, I have a bridge to nowhere I'd love to sell you too.
He’s referring to the retail price for the bumper kit sold directly from Xpel, which is insanely overpriced.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let’s see...I had a high-end installer in DFW charge as follows, including installation, for XPEL Ultimate Plus:

$125 Headlight / fog light kit
$400 Partial coverage hood, fender, and mirror kit
$200 Roof edge and A-pillar
$100 Front fender "cheeks"
= $825 + tax

ericd

Reaction score
I'm well aware they print off a roll. You originally said it shouldn't be more than 800-1000. So has is $900 that crazy? You're also in Florida and everything is way cheaper down there. You also said you don't need to paint correct on a black vehicle before PPF? Those swirls will look great under the film. Not sure what your opinion is really worth after that comment but you do you.

Last edited:

ericd

Reaction score
Let’s see...I had a high-end installer in DFW charge as follows, including installation, for XPEL Ultimate Plus:

$125 Headlight / fog light kit
$400 Partial coverage hood, fender, and mirror kit
$200 Roof edge and A-pillar
$100 Front fender "cheeks"
= $825 + tax
Right. That's exactly on par with every XPEL post I've seen on these forums

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm well aware they print off a roll. You originally said it shouldn't be more than 800-1000. So has is $900 that crazy? You're also in Florida and everything is way cheaper down there. You also said you don't need to paint correct on a black vehicle before PPF? Those swirls will look great under the film. Not sure what your opinion is really worth after that comment but you do you.
If you really knew that, then you wouldn't say the material was $450 :ROFLMAO: Yes...and you are not fully understanding me here and see @SpeedyV post too. I paid $900 and had my hood, front bumper, front partial quarter panels, A-pillars, front roof, mirror caps and door handle cradles done. That's what I'm talking about! It's OK...you just got ripped off my friend.

BaseballDad

Reaction score
I had the same Xpel on the front end as ericd showed. Did it right after I bought it. $600 in my area. It's a 3 year lease so had to think about the putting more money into it, but I love the painted front end on the sport package and wanted to keep it looking nice. If I was keeping it, would be a no-brainer to do it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pricing all depends on installer. My detailer took 3 hours to just remove the hood trim pieces on the sport hood. Said it was a nightmare. He then decontaminated the entire truck with iron X, clay bar the entire thing (was full of contaminants from sitting outside during covid), did a full one stage polish and then began the PPF.

He was in a full days labour before even starting the PPF. He's very meticulous and doesn't cut corners and stands behind his product. He uses STEK dynoshield which is a high end film that has a built in coating (similar to the new xpel film).

Most film places won't go through these steps and will have the truck done in a day which is ok for most, but not for me. I'd rather have everything perfect.

Here's more pics of his work. My truck was also coated with Cquartz professional. As you can see the gloss is insane.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200618-140211_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200618-140211_Instagram.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20200618-140207_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200618-140207_Instagram.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200620_171451.jpg
    20200620_171451.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200620_171524.jpg
    20200620_171524.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200620_171639.jpg
    20200620_171639.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 52

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pricing all depends on installer. My detailer took 3 hours to just remove the hood trim pieces on the sport hood. Said it was a nightmare. He then decontaminated the entire truck with iron X, clay bar the entire thing (was full of contaminants from sitting outside during covid), did a full one stage polish and then began the PPF.

He was in a full days labour before even starting the PPF. He's very meticulous and doesn't cut corners and stands behind his product. He uses STEK dynoshield which is a high end film that has a built in coating (similar to the new xpel film).

Most film places won't go through these steps and will have the truck done in a day which is ok for most, but not for me. I'd rather have everything perfect.

Here's more pics of his work. My truck was also coated with Cquartz professional. As you can see the gloss is insane.
Agreed on the prep. Looks great!

Left mine for 48 hours with the installer. For the past 15 years, he’s done one thing only - prep for and install PPF. So I had the rest of the truck detailed and ceramic-coated elsewhere.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had mine done for $485(Canadian) plus tax. Suntek is brand name. Done the hood(partial) 24 inches up(goes 3/4 way up to the 2 hood scoops on Rebel hood) and over the fenders(6 inches), cheeks(under headlights), A pillars, roof(6 inches) across the front, all 4 door sills. On the Rebel you can't get the bumper and grille done as the PPF doesn't adhere(stick) to the powder coated bumpers the correct way.

Users who are viewing this thread