5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTH are these?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just checked my build sheet and it does list PASSIVE TUNED MASS DAMPER.
Odd, I don't have that on my build sheet.
I do have
FRONT SUSPENSION DAMPER PARTS MODULE
REAR SUSPENSION DAMPER PARTS MODULE

So apparently I'm learning something today too. I decided to analyze all the 2024 build sheets (so far) to see what they say regarding damping. Here are the results.

Looks like, with a few unicorn exceptions:
  • Pentastar gets nothing
  • 5.7L Hemi gets a Passive Tuned Mass Damper
  • 6.2L SRT gets Adaptive Damping

View attachment 173159
I just went outside and checked and I have not 1 but 2 electronic modules. One had a label falling off so I ripped it off and it says 68356656AD. On the store it says from 2019-2023, so I wonder if they stopping giving them to regular 1500s in 2023

I didn't see anyone post a picture of the active on on this thread so I just took a picture of one of mine.

2023-12-23 13.55.44.jpg 2023-12-23 13.55.56.jpg

barrak

Reaction score
Odd, I don't have that on my build sheet.
I do have
FRONT SUSPENSION DAMPER PARTS MODULE
REAR SUSPENSION DAMPER PARTS MODULE

I just went outside and checked and I have not 1 but 2 electronic modules. One had a label falling off so I ripped it off and it says 68356656AD. On the store it says from 2019-2023, so I wonder if they stopping giving them to regular 1500s in 2023

I didn't see anyone post a picture of the active on on this thread so I just took a picture of one of mine.

View attachment 173163 View attachment 173164

Maybe they apply a "tuning fork" test on each assembled frame to decide on type and number of dampener(s). :eek:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Darksteel165 theyre bolted to the frame on both sides nearest the front LCA mounts. I HATE rust so the color bugs me arleady...but i dont know enough about the whole system and process of how they work (yet) and im just going to assume that painting the surface would change the harmonics or some such

Very similar concept and function as the harmonic damper on the front of many engines. Rubber mounted weight dissipates vibration as heat. If the frame has a particular dominant resonance frequency, they can be tuned for best effect. A coat of black Rustoleum or chassis paint on the metal parts won't hurt anything.

Users who are viewing this thread