5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTH are these?

Gren71

Reaction score
while I was under the new ram putting on some steps I noticed these things… I have no idea what they are. Are they a leftover from the assembly line or something? Theyre on both sides under where the front doors. I can’t see any wires or anything connected to them.

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpeg
    IMG_2700.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2701.jpeg
    IMG_2701.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 106

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And to follow on, those are passive dampers. They used to have active dampers, but then Covid hit and they switched to passive dampers (and apparently never switched back).

Gren71

Reaction score
Mass dampers. They are supposed to minimize vibrations.
Ha! Neat, i love learning something new

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That article describes the active dampers. It’s not clear to me exactly how the passive dampers do anything special, except maybe absorb some vibrations. I have a truck without MDS, and mine has them as well.

Gren71

Reaction score
That article describes the active dampers. It’s not clear to me exactly how the passive dampers do anything special, except maybe absorb some vibrations. I have a truck without MDS, and mine has them as well.
Ye, it was just the first article i found that talked about the whole idea of them. Brand new concept to me from the jeep world…this whole “smooth ride” thing is fantastic lol

barrak

Reaction score
I was just looking at them this morning while lubing my power running boards. I thought they were meant as stoppers/dampeners for the boards when/after retracting!!

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where exactly are those on your truck lol?
I want to see if I have the active ones.
He said he was installing running boards and from the picture it’s placed on the frame closer to the front. I believe I see the lower control arm in the picture.

Gren71

Reaction score
He said he was installing running boards and from the picture it’s placed on the frame closer to the front. I believe I see the lower control arm in the picture.
Correct.

@Darksteel165 theyre bolted to the frame on both sides nearest the front LCA mounts. I HATE rust so the color bugs me arleady...but i dont know enough about the whole system and process of how they work (yet) and im just going to assume that painting the surface would change the harmonics or some such

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm - placeholder till I get home tomorrow.

Looks like active units on mine, see year/trim/options in sig line.

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's sacrificial metal, like zinc plates on a ship. Almost sounds right 😆

My 2017 4th Gen had these, there's a rubber bushing inside that isolates you from the frame vibration while the weight absorbs it. Modern steel frames don't flex like the old days and can end up vibrating like a guitar string. My pre covid 2020 5th gen has the whirly jigs

Last edited:

barrak

Reaction score
The plot thickens. I only have the yellow bumper on the passenger side. It is not touching the retracted side steps.

IMG_1001.jpg

On the driver side, I have a powered contraption.
IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just going to set the record straight on mine. I don't have the big rubber dampers on either side. I have electronic modules both left and right (I just checked). I could have sworn I saw them a while back - must have been another truck I'm thinking about.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So apparently I'm learning something today too. I decided to analyze all the 2024 build sheets (so far) to see what they say regarding damping. Here are the results.

Looks like, with a few unicorn exceptions:
  • Pentastar gets nothing
  • 5.7L Hemi gets a Passive Tuned Mass Damper
  • 6.2L SRT gets Adaptive Damping

1703354012028.png

Last edited:

barrak

Reaction score
So apparently I'm learning something today too. I decided to analyze all the 2024 build sheets (so far) to see what they say regarding damping. Here are the results.

Looks like, with a few unicorn exceptions:
  • Pentastar gets nothing
  • 5.7L Hemi gets a Passive Tuned Mass Damper
  • 6.2L SRT gets Adaptive Damping

View attachment 173159
Just checked my build sheet and it does list PASSIVE TUNED MASS DAMPER.

Users who are viewing this thread