5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTF? STOCK Lug Breaker doesn’t fit around STOCK Lugs.

GEAUXUL

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn with stock rims. Last night I was on the road and I got the old nail in the tire. When I went to break the lug nuts I quickly realized that the lug breaker can’t actually fit over them. As best as I can tell the size is correct, but the socket is too thick to fit in the hole around the lug nuts.

It normally takes a lot to upset me but this has me fuming. Their stupid oversight left me on the side of the road for 2 hours, forced me to have to pay for roadside assistance, and might force me to have to buy a lug nut and breaker bar to keep in my truck. How in the hell could Ram not know that their emergency kit doesn’t actually work with the vehicle they put it in?

Has anyone else run into this problem? Do I have any hope of getting a replacement from Ram?

Also, it goes without saying that you should definitely check and make sure your own lug breaker fits on your own rims.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are these rims the chrome 20's or painted 18's?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I carry an aftermarket breaker bar in my truck with a size 22 just cause I don't like the factory ones much. But yeah that would **** me off a bit especially more if I was traveling to go pick up my daughter.

Hasti17

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn with stock rims. Last night I was on the road and I got the old nail in the tire. When I went to break the lug nuts I quickly realized that the lug breaker can’t actually fit over them. As best as I can tell the size is correct, but the socket is too thick to fit in the hole around the lug nuts.

It normally takes a lot to upset me but this has me fuming. Their stupid oversight left me on the side of the road for 2 hours, forced me to have to pay for roadside assistance, and might force me to have to buy a lug nut and breaker bar to keep in my truck. How in the hell could Ram not know that their emergency kit doesn’t actually work with the vehicle they put it in?

Has anyone else run into this problem? Do I have any hope of getting a replacement from Ram?

Also, it goes without saying that you should definitely check and make sure your own lug breaker fits on your own rims.
Your lug nuts most likely swelled, it happened twice to the crome lugs on my moms old 3rd gen in a couple year period, causes the shop to break more than a couple because of odd sizing. Its really inconvenient but a does occur

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The stock lug wrench should fit all variations of stock wheels. I'd be upset too if you have stock wheels and the wrench won't fit inside the lug nut openings. I appreciate the unintentional heads up though. I'm going to make sure mine fits as soon as I get home from work.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
please tell me you are joking..........
The stock lugnuts are not solid, it's a cover and it's been a thing on the LX cars (chargers, 300s, etc) where the covers swell, then break loose and you're stuck trying to break the cover off to get to the actual lug nut under.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The stock lugnuts are not solid, it's a cover and it's been a thing on the LX cars (chargers, 300s, etc) where the covers swell, then break loose and you're stuck trying to break the cover off to get to the actual lug nut under.

Yep, had this issue with my old Charger as well as a Ford.

GEAUXUL

Reaction score
Your lug nuts most likely swelled, it happened twice to the crome lugs on my moms old 3rd gen in a couple year period, causes the shop to break more than a couple because of odd sizing. Its really inconvenient but a does occur
Interesting. FWIW both the roadside guy and the tire guy I brought it to couldn’t fit their 22mm sockets on it. They both needed 7/8” (which converts to 22.23mm.) That could very well be it.

GEAUXUL

Reaction score
The stock lug wrench should fit all variations of stock wheels. I'd be upset too if you have stock wheels and the wrench won't fit inside the lug nut openings. I appreciate the unintentional heads up though. I'm going to make sure mine fits as soon as I get home from work.
I’ll be curious to know if you have the same problem. Let me know what you find.

GEAUXUL

Reaction score
Now I’m confused. I thought you wrote that the lug breaker wouldn’t fit into the hole in the wheel?
So that was what just what I thought I saw was happening at 10:00pm with zero light on the side of the road. I could definitely be mistaken about that.

LHarv

Reaction score
I indeed have this same issue. I have the stock 22's and it didn't fit. I needed a special lug nut adapter... Really not sure what it's called. It's stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread