5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTF? STOCK Lug Breaker doesn’t fit around STOCK Lugs.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From the picture it looks like the aftermarket chrome cover doesn't leave a lot of room around the lug nuts. I'd wager if you removed the cover, the stock lug wrench would fit

GEAUXUL

Reaction score
From the picture it looks like the aftermarket chrome cover doesn't leave a lot of room around the lug nuts. I'd wager if you removed the cover, the stock lug wrench would fit
Yep that’s what it was. I removed the cover and it fit perfectly.

My last truck was basically a work truck with steel rims and I honestly never even realized that these mid level trim trucks just had chrome caps on them.

Thank you all for the help!

ramm440

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2023 eco diesel and they are factory rims and factory plastic rim covers from Ram not aftermarket. I believe the plastic covers also have a double sided 3M tape on the spokes so pulling/forcing them off can ruin them. I have found a thin walled 7/8" socket fits perfect but the stock lug wrench is no bueno. I am considering grinding the stock lug wrench outer wall or just welding a 7/8" socket to the end of it. What a joke! How about a recall on the lug nut wrench? huh lol. Glad I checked before I headed out on a long journey!!

ramm440

Reaction score
I ground and sanded the OD. Now it fits. I also ordered a thin wall socket that is 1.14”OD. Let you know how that fits or not.

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpeg
    IMG_1182.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1183.jpeg
    IMG_1183.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 29

Scram1500

Reaction score
All of the OEM 18 inch rims are painted, anything that is clad on the 18 inch rims are stuck on after the fact by the dealership or previous owner. Are your rims black on the inner lip?

Screenshot_20231203_200749_Chrome~2.jpg

ramm440

Reaction score
My 2023 Bighorn Sport has alloy rims underneath and black plastic wheel covers over the aluminum. I bought it new. At first I was pissed but if I taco a plastic cover I can fix it easily. Once I taco a aluminum rim Its there for life. I have read on this forum how they are attached with 3m type double sided tape.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ford and RAM use those stupid lug nuts, I had to buy aftermarket lugs for my F150 after they swelled to the point a stock socket wouldn't fit. My RAM is starting to get to that point, suspect one more tire rotation will finally require me to get new lugs. A good excuse to get some black ones this time.

Users who are viewing this thread