5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you swap 22’s for 20’s long term question

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Best rims are the five spoke 20 inch option you see on Laramie's or the Longhorns photo's above.
The 22 look fugly to me.

Obviously looks are subjective, but I think the 22s look amazing for a stock wheel.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
18's or bust. More rubber = smoother ride. Your tires are basically another set of springs on your truck, so if you have more of it you have more cushion.

Also, (personal opinion and yes looks are subjective) I think trucks with all wheel and no rubber make you look like you bought the truck to get 1 piece of plywood from Home Depot.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep, the 18's are super smooth. But I found them a little jiggly while towing. So you may want to keep that in mind with 20 vs 22, 22 might give a slightly harsher ride but might be better for towing. I think 20 gives the best compromise between looks, tire availability, and ride.

silver billet

Reaction score
18's or bust. More rubber = smoother ride. Your tires are basically another set of springs on your truck, so if you have more of it you have more cushion.

Also, (personal opinion and yes looks are subjective) I think trucks with all wheel and no rubber make you look like you bought the truck to get 1 piece of plywood from Home Depot.

I know you meant that as a "negative", but yeah it's perfectly fine to buy a truck these days for hauling just family. Far better option to buy a new 1500 than it is a large sedan; ride is great, huge amounts of room, looks better, and heck, you can even use it to pick up 1 piece of plywood from Home Depot on occasion. Doesn't mean you're less cool/worthy for buying a 1500 (3/4 or 1 tons, ok, I'll give you that).

mx1alex

Reaction score
I was thinking about downsizing from my 22s because I wanted more sidewall. Didn't want to deal with the hassle of selling the wheels and finding new ones so I just recently got new tires (285/50/22 nitto terra grapplers) that give me a little more side wall and gives the truck a much better look imo.

1596117962049.png

Last edited:

Wsmith

Reaction score
22" look the best (subjective), ride the worst, more prone to road hazards and for some reason more expensive tire replacement.
18" look the worst (subjective), ride the best, handle road hazards better, and are the least expensive tire to replace.
20" is in my opinion about perfect.
Now if you are going for the off road performance, need to go aftermarket.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
22" look the best (subjective), ride the worst, more prone to road hazards and for some reason more expensive tire replacement.
18" look the worst (subjective), ride the best, handle road hazards better, and are the least expensive tire to replace.
20" is in my opinion about perfect.
Now if you are going for the off road performance, need to go aftermarket.
i love me some 18's with a meaty sidewall lol i leave the low profile sidewalls to performance cars :) I had 20's on my last ram with the same tires and leveling kit as i currently do, and i honestly can't tell a measurable difference. Im surprised no ones brought up what PSI you guys are running in your tires when talking about the ride quality??

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i love me some 18's with a meaty sidewall lol i leave the low profile sidewalls to performance cars :) I had 20's on my last ram with the same tires and leveling kit as i currently do, and i honestly can't tell a measurable difference. Im surprised no ones brought up what PSI you guys are running in your tires when talking about the ride quality??
PSI, tire load rating, tire type (AT, etc) will all influence ride. But if you assume all those are equal then @Wsmith summed it up pretty well with the pros/cons of each one.

BowDown

Reaction score
I've got to admit that I didn't want the 22s on my truck, but it has all of the other options I wanted so I went with the big wheels. I had been burned in the past with balance and ride issues even with 20" wheels, but the ride in this new truck absolutely amazed me. There are a ton of options for tires in that size range on Tire Rack, and I am sure one of them could help soften the ride at least a little if you are looking for that improvement. The OEM Goodyears pretty much suck.

I will also admit that I am petrified about curbing these rims. There's not a lot of meat on the edge of these tires to protect them.
Same here, just got a 2020 Limited that came with 22s. I would have rather had the 20"s but the 22"s ride really well and its not enough of an issue for me to go through the effort to swap them out. I do think the limiteds 20"s wheel design looks better

BowDown

Reaction score
Not sure where this ”rough ride with 22”s“ originated, but whoever started it has never ridden on a 5th gen AS truck.
Mine rides like a dream on stock Goodyear tires.

I completely agree, my limited rides very, very well

SzymiRam@2019

Reaction score
I have the 22inch stock OEM wheels and I put 33's toyo open country AT3 tires on it. The ride is smooth and I like the agressiveness of the tires. I was debating on finding 20's wheels or keep my existing to save some money. I love the toyo open country AT3 tires. I also did the mopar 2inch lift and I still have some room for 35's.

Hey, which 22” do you have, can you post some pics please. I am debating if I should replace mine 22”, but I so confused, and don’t know what to do. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hsandhu85

Reaction score
Hey, which 22” do you have, can you post some pics please. I am debating if I should replace mine 22”, but I so confused, and don’t know what to do. Thanks.

I spent weeks trying to figure out what to do and look at wheels and understand the negative offsets and plus offsets. I wasn't sure how it would end up looking but I'm actually happy with it. I did the 2inch lift from mopar but I have like a 1 1/2 in the front. Mopar kept the factory rake so its not completely leveled The picture makes it look leveled but my drive way just has a slope. With the 33's the ride is really smooth and I'm happy with the fox shocks that came with the lift.

Attachments

• 20200730_195420.jpg
    20200730_195420.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200730_195446.jpg
    20200730_195446.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 49

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I spent weeks trying to figure out what to do and look at wheels and understand the negative offsets and plus offsets. I wasn't sure how it would end up looking but I'm actually happy with it. I did the 2inch lift from mopar but I have like a 1 1/2 in the front. Mopar kept the factory rake so its not completely leveled The picture makes it look leveled but my drive way just has a slope. With the 33's the ride is really smooth and I'm happy with the fox shocks that came with the lift.
Very nice!

SzymiRam@2019

Reaction score

Hey, that looks very nice. I have the same 22”, but not black edition. I am adding Mopar lift too, and want to get 35”, but unfortunately I can’t get the Toyo AT3 in that size in Canada. My only choice here is Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/55r22. It’s very hard decision.

hsandhu85

Reaction score
Hey, that looks very nice. I have the same 22”, but not black edition. I am adding Mopar lift too, and want to get 35”, but unfortunately I can’t get the Toyo AT3 in that size in Canada. My only choice here is Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/55r22. It’s very hard decision.

I was actually going to get the nitto's and then someone told me to look into the toyo AT3. I had to wait a week or so to get the toyo's. Everyone had trouble getting them. Can't go wrong with the nitto's either.

SzymiRam@2019

Reaction score
I was actually going to get the nitto's and then someone told me to look into the toyo AT3. I had to wait a week or so to get the toyo's. Everyone had trouble getting them. Can't go wrong with the nitto's either.

I would prefer Toyos, but AT3 it’s not available in Canada at all. Going back to Mopar lift, which model do you have, the first one or the updated one. ?

hsandhu85

Reaction score
I would prefer Toyos, but AT3 it’s not available in Canada at all. Going back to Mopar lift, which model do you have, the first one or the updated one. ?

I would assume the updated one. I just had these put on like 2 weeks ago.

klotz50

Reaction score
@waterhamhawk
When I bought my 19’ Limited, I had them take the 22’s off and put 20’s on.
Better ride, more tire selection and cheaper tires to buy.
I ended up with 20” Longhorn rims. I liked them better than the 20” Laramie ones. This too is my last truck heading towards retirement.
Sure a nice ride!

View attachment 63727
Did you have to make any changes to the speedometer with the size change?

waterhamhawk

Reaction score
Did you have to make any changes to the speedometer with the size change?
No, it really didn’t seem to change anything. When I pass by those radar speed check areas. It’s on or within one mph to the speedometer. All good

RAL

Reaction score
To answer the original question, yes, I would change them to 20s.

Sell the 22 to help with the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread