5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you swap 22’s for 20’s long term question

waterhamhawk

Reaction score
Hi Guys, got a question that I need your opinion on. Just bought a 2020 Limited that has 22 inch wheels and find find the ride a little rough. My old 09 Ram had 20 inch rim’s and as for going over bumps and what not,seems to ride smoother. The 22’s look great, but will also be more costly to replace tires.Plus a friend of mine has a set and has curb rash on them already. (Damn drive through’s) This isn’t a work truck. I’m gearing more towards retirement. So Would you keep the 22’s or down size to the 20’s. To save some money and headaches down the road. What say you????

SzymiRam@2019

Reaction score
Hi Guys, got a question that I need your opinion on. Just bought a 2020 Limited that has 22 inch wheels and find find the ride a little rough. My old 09 Ram had 20 inch rim’s and as for going over bumps and what not,seems to ride smoother. The 22’s look great, but will also be more costly to replace tires.Plus a friend of mine has a set and has curb rash on them already. (Damn drive through’s) This isn’t a work truck. I’m gearing more towards retirement. So Would you keep the 22’s or down size to the 20’s. To save some money and headaches down the road. What say you????

I have the same problem. I kind of like the look of mine 22” (sport model), but thinking of replacing them with 20”. I want to put more aggressive tires on, but there is absolutely no selection in 22”. The options are very limited. I am sitting now and browsing all the popular 20” rims, there is so many of them.
I am just afraid I will regret my decision switching to 20”. Really don’t know what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew7811

Reaction score
I also have the 22"'. I just had to replace the back two because I picked up a nail somewhere. Front still has ton of tread left and I hated to spend the extra $600 just to have 4 matching. They are blackwall anyway so my new Pirelli Scorpion (great looking tire btw) don't stand out at all. I was amazed at how few options you really have because of the rim size. I wanted to go with a taller tire to sit the truck up a little more, but since I don't have a lift, I was told I couldn't. My 11 Laramie had the 20's and I was able to put a more aggressive tire on those rims. Apparently on this truck, i'll just settle with the all season tires. I like the truck as it is and i'm just not into doing mods much anymore.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Op depends on what you’re using the truck for. Personally I would go with the 20” for more selection. I also would run an oem wheel so if I’m traveling and something happens, I have access to one.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@waterhamhawk
When I bought my 19’ Limited, I had them take the 22’s off and put 20’s on.
Better ride, more tire selection and cheaper tires to buy.
I ended up with 20” Longhorn rims. I liked them better than the 20” Laramie ones. This too is my last truck heading towards retirement.
Sure a nice ride!

0220018C-4CD7-4665-BAAC-EA7C54FD81CA.jpeg

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had two Limiteds and both came with 22s. I swapped both times down to 20s. If you live in a warm climate with no potholes they will be fine, for every one else they are a liability and I find them incredibly ugly to boot.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are looking to "save" money. Run the 22's for 25,000ish miles then swap. What I did was to run the stock combo (can't really get the rough ride complaint with them in the Limited but whatever) until I got most of the tread life out of the original Goodyears then swapped to 305/45r22 Goodyear Fortera more for visual appearance but I guess you can say the ride is smoother. Now, if y'all just want 20's get them but you won't be saving money because you won't get squat for the take-offs and it'll cost you money.... 20200211_185754.jpg

Zig10

Reaction score
I've got to admit that I didn't want the 22s on my truck, but it has all of the other options I wanted so I went with the big wheels. I had been burned in the past with balance and ride issues even with 20" wheels, but the ride in this new truck absolutely amazed me. There are a ton of options for tires in that size range on Tire Rack, and I am sure one of them could help soften the ride at least a little if you are looking for that improvement. The OEM Goodyears pretty much suck.

I will also admit that I am petrified about curbing these rims. There's not a lot of meat on the edge of these tires to protect them.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Get 20's, or even better 18's if you want peace of mind. The rubber band around the rim on the 22 doesn't inspire any confidence

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
to me, the truck looks just right with 20's..22's?..little too much. The ride I get in my Limited with 20's is better than any ride I've ever had, in any vehicle I've ever owned since I got my license in 1974.

PorBoy

Reaction score
My personal feeling is not everyone is going to share the same feeling. For some 22” are rough and for others 20” are. There are folks who will never feel right riding on any wheel truck wise over 18”. Op you’ll need to stick with what you feel works with you. I have 20” wheels on my lifted truck and am in the process of adding a set of 18” wheels as my daily. Also again the tires have a lot to do with how that ride feels in my opinion.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As this is a lease, I would not change them. If owning I would seriously consider 20s if I could find ones that looked as good as these 22s.

ldoh

Reaction score
Yep, 22's compared to 20's will always have a harsher ride. It's objective data that's easily collected.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, both my 4th gens had 20 inch tires and wheels and I thought they rode okay. My '19 had 18 inchers and the ride is noticeably smoother on Goodyear Fortitudes. I know, the DT probably has a retuned suspension, but I remember 4th gen guys saying the 18s were much smoother then.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036538 miles.

hsandhu85

Reaction score
I have the 22inch stock OEM wheels and I put 33's toyo open country AT3 tires on it. The ride is smooth and I like the agressiveness of the tires. I was debating on finding 20's wheels or keep my existing to save some money. I love the toyo open country AT3 tires. I also did the mopar 2inch lift and I still have some room for 35's.

Boston

Reaction score
Best rims are the five spoke 20 inch option you see on Laramie's or the Longhorns photo's above.
The 22 look fugly to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/