5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you order Air Suspension again?

Jims380da

Reaction score
Getting ready to order a 2023 to replace my 2020 Laramie which did have the $1800 option. Worked fine without issues and was pretty cool. Looking to try a Rebel this time around and debating on air suspension. Will I miss it if I went with the standard suspension? Has anyone gone that route before? Would love to hear thoughts. Thanks

jws1982

Reaction score
I see lift kits and such on a lot of rebels. The regular suspension is easier to do that stuff with. If your thinking about doing that, I’d go regular. If not, well, on a rebel, I’d probably still leave it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting ready to order a 2023 to replace my 2020 Laramie which did have the $1800 option. Worked fine without issues and was pretty cool. Looking to try a Rebel this time around and debating on air suspension. Will I miss it if I went with the standard suspension? Has anyone gone that route before? Would love to hear thoughts. Thanks
I ordered my 21 Laramie with air ride and I love it for when I’m pulling a small camper or when box is loaded. I love that it automatically levels out and it rides much better when loaded/towing! Also the few times a year in need the extra ground clearance is nice to have that option. The kids agree that it ride much better in the back seat too, when loaded. However this is a $1800 cost and it’s another thing to go wrong! Not sure about the rebel, but I had a 19 Laramie with out air ride and I’d say it road about the same with normal driving as the air ride does. I’ve asked myself the same thing, when I get another truck, do I want air ride? I might go Toyota next time and you can get them with just rear air shocks! Good luck in whatever you decide👍🏻

OutlawHemi22

Reaction score
I would 100% get air ride again on a Ram. I think it rides a lot better than my 2020 Laramie that didn’t have air ride.

Limited2021

Reaction score
I would get it again. I have to haul around grandparents for different things and they love that I can lower it down so they can get in easier. I also love when out hunting I can raise it up for more clearance in the field then lower it back down for that smooth hwy ride home. I don't pull much other than a 16' boat so towing I really have no reference to.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Although I've ony had it for six months, so far, it's been positive for me. I lowered it in a parking garage where I found it was awful compact AFTER I was inside.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if i would live were the weather is warm yes, i love it when its working

BUT living here, were the winter gets cold, it's a big NO for me, my new laramie 2022 does not have it, i had to many problems with it in my 2014.

Jake103

Reaction score
In cold climates air suspension is nothing but problems on rams, range rovers, jeeps, I've seen it plenty of times when I was a mechanic/tech. If it's warmer climate I would otherwise no. Most customers up in colder climates actually want to convert it to non air.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In cold climates air suspension is nothing but problems on rams, range rovers, jeeps, I've seen it plenty of times when I was a mechanic/tech. If it's warmer climate I would otherwise no. Most customers up in colder climates actually want to convert it to non air.
Good to know. I wondered about that. I see -20 temps and always wondered how that would affect air suspension. Regular suspension takes enough abuse in those temps.

mdirads

Reaction score
I don't completely agree. I had a 2019 RR full size HSE with air suspension, traded it in last month for my 2022 1500 Limited. I live in NJ, and never had a problem with the air suspension in the winter months. Depends on how cold it gets. I'm happy with the suspension in the 1500, and was also happy with it in the RR.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’d get it again. For what it’s worth, mine sees everything from Michigan winters to Texas summers.

Jake103

Reaction score
I'm just speaking from what I seen in the field when I was and what customers told me. Take what I say with a grain of salt. A mechanic usually sees all the problems with vehicles. Very rarely if ever do techs/mechanics hear what's good about vehicles or what works lol. You only go to the mechanic when there is a problem.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would definitely get it again, but...

I see lift kits and such on a lot of rebels. The regular suspension is easier to do that stuff with. If your thinking about doing that, I’d go regular. If not, well, on a rebel, I’d probably still leave it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd agree with this, especially if using it for more than mild off-roading.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
and keep in mind that the problems usally dont occur in the first 2 years (in my case it did), so not having problem yet in cold weather, with a 2 years old truck does not mean it will hold for 5 years or more,...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
and keep in mind that the problems usally dont occur in the first 2 years (in my case it did), so not having problem yet in cold weather, with a 2 years old truck does not mean it will hold for 5 years or more,...
I’ll keep you posted. I’m at 4+ years now, but I’m also fortunate enough to have a lifetime warranty (purchased before they were discontinued).

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
[
I’d get it again. For what it’s worth, mine sees everything from Michigan winters to Texas summers.

This is reassuring to know! I’m somewhat close to St Louis & it’s warm more than it is cold but we do see some low & negative temps for maybe a month or so out of the year. Mine has a lifetime warranty too, but it’s through CNA. Otherwise I probably would’ve gone with just coils again & added my own airbags.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I have had both in the past..... Two with out air suspension ..... Two with! I would most certainly do it with the air suspension! Are they taking orders for 2023 yet? I want to trade my 2019 in and order me a new 23 Laramie.

Users who are viewing this thread