5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worth the upgrade to 2500

mrutledge

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 v-8 that I currently tow a camper with. It weighs in about 5600 lbs dry. I'm relatively new to camping\towing and can't help but wonder if the 2500 might have been a better choice. My current truck pulls it fine but you can definitely tell it is back there. Going up moderate hills it sees that the 1500 really revs up. Normal mileage when towing is about 10 mpg. The engine in the 2500 doesn't seem to be tremendously bigger. Would I really tell a difference? I'm a little skeptical of the diesel offering, mostly because I know nothing about them and also, I'm leery of turbo chargers. Seems like something else to break.

Would appreciate any opinions.

Itsslow98

Reaction score
Towing 5600lbs occasionally I'm not sure I'd sacrifice the ride comfort of the 1500 to go to a gas 2500. Surely it would tow better but that's about it. What gears do you have?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have the 3.92 gears, and you keep to your payload/tow ratings you should be fine. You'd definitely feel more confident using the 2500, but like @Itsslow98 said you're going to sacrifice a lot of ride quality.

Also, a loaded 2500 can have less payload than some 1500's so keep an eye out if you do decide to switch.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Hemi needs to Rev in the 4000 RPM range to be at peak power. 10mpg is about standard for towing a camper.

The Heavy Duty will actually feel less powerful because it is moving over 1500lbs more all the time

I do not think a 5600lb camper is in itself a reason to move to a 2500.

But, a 2500 will pull more stable and more comfortably in hills and twisty terrain.

I have a 2500 because of hauling a family of 4 and all the camping stuff. My camper itself does warrant the jump to a HeftyDuty. It is all the other stuff I use it for.

If payload and terrain is not an issue...stay with the 1500.

Some people forget that towing is a job...it is not fun and can be down right dangerous at times.

So. Make your case on what you use your truck for and stay with what it's main use is.

A 1500...just does not work for me 20210413_183211_HDR.jpg
Good luck on your decision

mrutledge

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Kinda what I was thinking all along. This is the night edition that has the 3.21 rear end, so that probably accounts for the loss of some mpg and the higher revs overall. I'll probably stick with what I have.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Kinda what I was thinking all along. This is the night edition that has the 3.21 rear end, so that probably accounts for the loss of some mpg and the higher revs overall. I'll probably stick with what I have.
When I tow I select 3rd gear to keep the truck above 3000 RPM. When I find the hills I select 2nd. Now mine is a 6.4l with 6 speed trans....so probably do 5th and 4th.

Whenever people started expecting a truck to get good fuel mileage they programed them to stay in the higher gears. Why tow haul drops to lower gears sooner.

Do not fear the lower gears and higher RPM.

The Hemi needs to spin to make power. One of the best things you can do is let that Hemi roar.

Like I mentioned. A 2500 weighs about 1500lbs more. So until you get past that threshold...the 1500 will always SEEM stronger.

Once you get near 7k trailer you will start to notice the 2500 being the better truck.

And of course...most 1500 trucks can not even haul the 1500 pound difference. So once you load 1500lbs into each you will then see the 2500 shine.

Hope this makes sense.

The 2500 is definitely better than the 1500 when towing often. But towing occasionally...the 1500 will do just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread