5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Won’t start

Tmdsr1

Reaction score
2020 Ram Rebel dead in the water. Will not start it even crank. Key fob appears not to be working. Changed battery in fob and nothing. Called RAM assistance and they can’t tow. RAM service is useless. Has anyone gone through this and know what’s going on? Any help is greatly appreciated.,We are 200 miles from home. Thanknyou

Americantruck04

Reaction score
2020 Ram Rebel dead in the water. Will not start it even crank. Key fob appears not to be working. Changed battery in fob and nothing. Called RAM assistance and they can’t tow. RAM service is useless. Has anyone gone through this and know what’s going on? Any help is greatly appreciated.,We are 200 miles from home. Thanknyou

if it died in the water you probably flooded the engine

Tmdsr1

Reaction score
“Dead in the water” just an expression. My bad. Never in water. Meant to say it’s just “dead”. Only has 600 miles on it.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try to push the start button on the dash with the fob itself. Even if the fob battery is dead this should work. If not, then there is likely an issue with the truck and not the fob. You should have 24/7 roadside assistance with your new truck so IDK why they wouldn't send someone out to help. Sucks you're having trouble with a brand new truck and so far from home.

This video is a 4th gen Ram, but same procedure:

Tmdsr1

Reaction score
Thank you piening2150. We did try the fob thing with no luck. RAM will only send a tow truck and not a service tech. Unfortunately the way the truck is parked and where it is parked makes a tow job difficult. They need a “repo” type tow truck to get it. They don’t seem to understand this when I talk to them. I am going to Uber to the closest dealer tomorrow morning and try to explain to a service tech there what is going on. Yeah this is bad. So excited to get this truck. So disappointed in this truck now. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Tmdsr1

Reaction score
Brand new truck with 600 miles on it. Battery is putting out 13.5 amps. Battery is strong.

Tmdsr1

Reaction score
RAM assistance is trying to find a “repo” type tow truck to send to us. They do not send out service techs.

Hmebuildr

Reaction score
They are not going to send out a Tech they will tow it to the nearest dealer where the Tech will work on it. I know that this does not help you in the short term I would make it clear I want it taken back to where I bought it and I expect a loaner delivered to the location I am currently at.

Tmdsr1

Reaction score
Second tow truck came and went. Wheels are locked up. Can’t disengage e-brake ( even manually). Dealer will HAVE to send out a tech. More to follow

Chi93

Reaction score
Make sure the floor mat is not touching the gas peddle, if it has some pressure on it, won’t start.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RF module probably had a brain fart. Happened on my wife's GC last year. Disconnected the battery, reconnected, let all systems reboot, and all has worked as it should since. Her remote key would not work, and the fob would not work on the dash either. Try rebooting the system before you let them drag your truck around.

Tmdsr1

Reaction score
Thank you Helipilot for the suggestion. We did all that and still nothing. So here is my update. Still stranded day 4 in Perryville MD, 200 miles from home. RAM Assistance has sent out the wrong tow truck three times even though I keep telling them I need one with go jacks and rollers. They then were going to send one from Lancaster PA ( what? None in MD?) who will get here at 530 tonite. Just got off the phone with him. He told me sorry I’m not driving all the way down there. So I call RAM again (5th time). Tell them the name of a local tow, they say can’t use them. They are not authorized. I told them you sent them here yesterday but now they have the truck we need available. They say sorry no dice. I said I will pay and will want to be reimbursed. They told me that’s not how it works. I said you were going to send a tow from PA ( covered) but not one from the town I’m disabled in? I can’t make this up. I also went to Cook RAM in Aberdenn MD this morning literally begging for help. Any kind of help. Service would not even talk to me. Said they were short staffed and unless the truck was towed to them then they will not do anything. I called other dealers and they told me I HAVE to take it to the dealer closest to where our truck is broken down. I did talk to a great Service guy at Adams Jeep in Aberdeen who is trying to help me through this. To be continued........

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
You can manually release the electronic brake and allow the vehicle to be towed. Instructions are on page 357 of the manual

To push or tow the vehicle in cases where the
transmission will not shift out of PARK (P) (such
as a depleted battery), a Manual Park Release
is available.

Follow these steps to activate the Manual Park
Release:
1. Apply firm pressure to the brake pedal
while seated in the driver’s seat.
2. Apply the parking brake if possible.
3. Using a small screwdriver or similar tool,
remove the Manual Park Release cover,
which is located to the lower left of the
steering column.
4. Behind the Manual Park Release access
cover is the orange tether strap. Pull the
tether strap out as far as it will go, then
release it. The tether and lever will remain
outside of the trim panel and the
transmission should now be in NEUTRAL,
allowing the vehicle to be moved.

Tmdsr1

Reaction score
Thank you Runs With Beer. We are able to get it in neutral but the eBrake seems to be the bear. Good news is that the tow from PA ( (Schellenbergers) showed up and was able to get her on the hook and was able to get it to Adams in Aberdeen. It’s after hours now so we will he was to the dealer in the am. Side note. I have received a lot of calls from the “Escalation Team” at FCA and what has been going on these past days. Looks like they are taking notice and trying to get this resolved. Thanks all for your advice. Will keep you posted.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Had to tow my truck a few days ago because of a dead battery and a fried 48v Battery pack(Etorque), Releasing the eBrake was such a pain!!!! but after 20 minutes of trying with a jump starter hooked up, we did manage to release the eBrakes and load the sucker on the flatbed...
They have to install a fail-safe on these systems. No power - No Ebrake!!!! smh...

Tmdsr1

Reaction score
Follow up. And by by the way a big THANK YOU to all who responded to my thread and helped us out. We finally got our RAM towed by a tow guy (Schellenbergers from Mariatta PA) who knew his stuff. E-Brake was still engaged. Tow guy "Skated" our RAM onto his flatbed using poly skates. Something like furniture movers use when moving heavy items across floors. Got to Adams Jeep in Aberdeen MD and John Loucks, Service Manager, was totally awesome. RAM had a loose ground; not at the engine block as originally thought, but behind the back seat. Played havoc with the security system in the RAM which prevented us from getting it started. So to recap: RAM went down mechanical on Sat. 9/12. RAM fixed on Tues., 9/15. I spent three days dealing with RAM Assistance on the phone, 1 RAM Dealer (Cook on Route 40 in Amberdeen Maryland) who should be ashamed of themselves for totally blowing us off), and the BEST Jeep dealer ( who said "hell yeah, we'll fix your RAM, and if we can't get it done by this afternoon, we'll get you a rental to get you home until we do). RAM assistance had an " Intervention Team that reached out to us as well. They were great. They could not believe what we were going through and they said they will follow up. Maybe it's because we went down mechanical (Rural) as compared to big City (Urban) where service is more readily available?
I don't know. But we are home safe and sound. So, if it happens to anyone out there, 3.0 V6 Diesel has grounding issues. There is a service bulletin already issued by FCA. Thank you again.

Users who are viewing this thread