5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woble at highway speeds

Overlander

Reaction score
I doubt you would feel a tire at 10mph, so that makes sense. Wheel bearings? U joint? Pinion? I mean they need to check this stuff out and stop the “road force” non sense.

Completely agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My vibration can be felt around 8-12 mph, then ~40 mph (most vibration/shimmy here) and finally some small vibration starting at 60+. This is consistent across all sets of tires I've tried.

Same, That's why I think the rear end is the issue. Frequency is all over the place depending on the speed sometimes the vibration acts like a drive shaft problem, some times like a wheel/tire, occasionally I get a beating or growling vibration which is when 2 vibrations of different frequencies cancel for part of the cycle and combine for part of the cycle. truck is smooth for a few seconds then shakes for a second then smooth again. I don't think they preloaded the bearings in the rear end properly. When I get a chance I'm going to check the total turning preload.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Same, That's why I think the rear end is the issue. Frequency is all over the place depending on the speed sometimes the vibration acts like a drive shaft problem, some times like a wheel/tire, occasionally I get a beating or growling vibration which is when 2 vibrations of different frequencies cancel for part of the cycle and combine for part of the cycle. truck is smooth for a few seconds then shakes for a second then smooth again. I don't think they preloaded the bearings in the rear end properly. When I get a chance I'm going to check the total turning preload.
And is it also possible that the road surface and/or how cold/warm the truck is could affect anything? For example, we went out this afternoon after the truck hadn't been driven since the night before. It was taken on a parkway doing 65 mph and the vibration became so bad it was almost unbearable. Another few minutes and I would have had to drop below the speed limit to try to reduce the vibration. Now, surprisingly, this is also a stretch of road where I always seem to notice the vibrations the most, but ONLY with the truck, not with any of my other cars.

Later, we came home a different way, often getting up to 65 mph at times, and only felt slight vibrations at time, no where nearly as bad as during the first trip. The only two differentiating factors appear to be they were different roads, and that the Truck was cold when we took the truck out, and warmed up when we took the truck back.

I'll keep doing more observations, but this continues to remain my continuing saga with this truck and the only thing keeping me from loving it. This vibration!! At times, nearly non-existent, at times irritating, and at times completely unbearable. I can only hope that collectively we can help RAM get to root of this problem.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea that’s weird. So what happens if you get off the gas pedal entirely or Accelerate some? Any changes?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Yea that’s weird. So what happens if you get off the gas pedal entirely or Accelerate some? Any changes?
Didn't try it today, but in some other tests, I've tried that and removing my foot off the accelerator and coasting didn't change anything. I've even put the truck in Neutral, and still, the vibrations continued. So does that help narrow things down at all?

Overlander

Reaction score
Didn't try it today, but in some other tests, I've tried that and removing my foot off the accelerator and coasting didn't change anything. I've even put the truck in Neutral, and still, the vibrations continued. So does that help narrow things down at all?

Same for me

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll have to think on that, to me it would mostly eliminate the pinion bearing and u joint, as it should be noticeable on and off the pedal.

The fact you notice it at low speed makes me think it’s a bearing somewhere.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I’ll have to think on that, to me it would mostly eliminate the pinion bearing and u joint, as it should be noticeable on and off the pedal.

The fact you notice it at low speed makes me think it’s a bearing somewhere.
For me, it's mostly noticeable at speeds above 50mph. Most of the low speed vibrations have gone away since lowering my psi from 44 to 36 on my stock Duelers.

Draw007

Reaction score
I’ve taken my Limited in four times for them to address this issue. The last visit they had it for six days. Each time they balance the tires, do a four corner alignment and consider it fixed. It’s not. And I’m at the point where I’m about to dump this truck because of it.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I gave up on the dealership, went to an independent tire shop and had them perform a "road force balance". Two tires would not road force balance and the other two were borderline. There are hard and soft spots in tires, they may balance correctly but when rolling weight is applied the tire behaves much differently. My guess is the dealership like most are hacks and tire knowledge is real low on their list

Edit: My tires are Duelers, which has cured me from purchasing Bridgestones. It almost made me buy a Chevy

Reaction score
I’ve got the same problem. I’ve got a 2020 limited crew cab with factory 22’s, bought new and now have 4k in it. It’s been to the dealer once already and they did nothing, couldn’t duplicate, but would not take a ride with me so I can show them. It’s been consistently hwy speeds 55-75. It’s a 70k truck, air ride, etc, and it shakes on highway, even passengers feel it.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the drive shaft. If it is not balanced, it would cause this type of vibration.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Something I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the drive shaft. If it is not balanced, it would cause this type of vibration.
Definitely something to look at, also a bad U joint in the driveshaft. The vibration will be similar to a bad tire or rims but will have a higher frequency

lloydjacobson

Reaction score
I had the same issues and finally fixed mine. I had vibrations that you can feel on the seat of your pants. I start to feel it after 40+mph. After 55 mph it gets worse. I thought the issue was with my tires. I was due for a new set anyways but that didn't cure the issue. I balanced my tires 3 times using 2 different tire machines and had them road forced balanced. I needed new brakes pads so I changed all the rotors, pads and 2 bad calipers. I still had the wobble. I took the rear drive shaft and the u joints appeared to be fine. I spun the front drive shaft and didn't feel anything. After many months of dealing with the vibrations I finally took off the front drive shaft. I was amazed how bad the joint was. It was a little tight but had worn flat spots where the yolk would snap in position.. I couldn't feel it while the shaft was in place. Well the OEM shaft doesn't have serviceable u-joints so you have to buy a new front drive shaft. Good thing the new non OEM drive shafts comes with replaceable u-joints. So I'm still waiting drive shaft but I'm driving around with out it. And sure enough I still feel a vibration but not as intense. I took off the rear drive shaft and they feel OK but I'm still going to change them since they have 70,000 miles. After a few too many hours of swearing replacing them, I reinstalled the drive shaft and the wobble was gone. I'm not a religious man but I thanked him anyways. So if you have this issue after doing all the same stuff that I did... just change all 3 u-joints regardless how they feel.

Check out www.BuyAutoParts.com for the drive shaft. Great price of $217. That is for the 8 speed transmission. There is a different shaft for the 6 speed transmission and much much cheaper.

My Truck is a 2013 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4x4 with 8 speed transmission. Take care and be vibration free.

Lloyd

Reactions: c3k

brandonjscioneaux

Reaction score
But you are saying that you no longer have the wobble/shake? Sounds like the steering gear box may be worth looking into. Can you post the work order you got back that shows exactly what they did?
Had all front end components replaced on mine including the rack and pinion, both steering shafts and steering knuckle...that fixed the front end shakes. Now the rear end is shaking and haven't found the fix for it yet. Going to bring it to another dealership after the first one refuses to service it.

Draw007

Reaction score
“Characteristic” Ram 1500 Driveline Vibration

Perhaps time is well past due to initiate a class action lawsuit against FCA regarding this issue. I love everything about my 2019 Limited except for the driveline vibration - in many instances, ridiculously so. Multiple dealer visits to address the issue have lead them to now consider it as a “characteristic” of the vehicle. Sorry, but that’s unacceptable in a vehicle that can retail for $70,000.

Vibration issues with Ram pickups date back to at least 2016 and yet their engineers have yet to address the problem. It’s time.

Who’s in?

Last edited:

brandonjscioneaux

Reaction score
“Characteristic” Ram 1500 Driveline Vibration

Perhaps time is well past due to initiate a class action lawsuit against FCA regarding this issue. I love everything about my 2019 Limited except for the driveline vibration - in many instances, ridiculously so. Multiple dealer visits to address the issue have lead them to now consider it as a “characteristic” of the vehicle. Sorry, but that’s unacceptable in a vehicle that can retail for $70,000.

Vibration issues with Ram pickups date back to at least 2016 and yet their engineers have yet to address the problem. It’s time.

Who’s in?

I'm already seeking legal action, and if someone starts a Class Action, I'll sign up if it doesn't interfere with my personal legal action.

brandonjscioneaux

Reaction score
Good evening I have been reading through the threads and was wondering if any one has had any success with there dealers ref the 2019 Dodge Ram Laramie shake at around 60 mph. Mine is mostly through the gas pedal. I only have 600 miles and the wobble has been there since new. Any help to direct my dealer in the proper direction would be great.
It's an engineering flaw. The rear wheels are hopping and causing the tires to chop across the tread pattern and making tires go out of round. The rear pinion angle doesn't match the front transmission output shaft angle and the rear control arm setup is jinky.

DevinB

Reaction score
It's an engineering flaw. The rear wheels are hopping and causing the tires to chop across the tread pattern and making tires go out of round. The rear pinion angle doesn't match the front transmission output shaft angle and the rear control arm setup is jinky.

Any further updates on root cause or causes? I went through a similar situation with Chevrolet on a sedan. Lemon Law. Settlement. Kept vehicle but then traded it back in. Considering a RAM purchase and will most certainly exercise it on the interstate on a lengthy test drive prior to buying, so thanks for all your efforts. Also...

I will say that, during the ordeal, you're so psychologically in-tune with vibration detection that you develop super-human abilities without even knowing it. On almost every similar vehicle I test drove (test drove 8 similar vehicles), I could 'detect' the issue...but I had to train others recognize it in the more minor instances. My point is that because you're getting screwed out of so much time & money, you obsess over it and subconsciously amplify perceived issues. If you were in a different state of mind a week or so later, calm and happy with a full refund and a day full of good news, I'd bet the issues wouldn't be as bad. Not saying it's not real, just saying the stress and anger DOES take it's toll. It certainly did for me.

My lessons learned are to go legal ASAP, as dealers and manufacturers are incentivized to minimize your concerns as much as possible, and many dealer/manufacturer relationships don't allow for much, if any, profit or $ incentive for dealers to help you 'hunt.' It makes more sense for them to make you another dealer's problem, since they view themselves as victims of your lemon too and would rather someone else deal with it.

If you want to stick with RAM and it's worth it to you , I would go test drive at least 5 or so new RAM vehicles and apply your acquired perceptions to each. If you detect issues with say 3 or more of the 5, then either your newly-trained threshold of perception is too keen to ever be happy with one of those trucks..or...they literally do all have significant issues (less likely but still possible).

I hope your legal case goes well and gives you some much-needed justice. I slept like a baby the night I got my settlement check. Didn't so much care about the money anymore...it was the JUSTICE.

Cheers,

Devin

Users who are viewing this thread