5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiring Diagrams from Ram Tech Authority - Well This Sucks

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
This is a long post, but I hope these points will inform and educate anyone thinking of purchasing the Ram 1500 wiring diagrams USB from Ram Tech Authority, and perhaps prompt a knowledgeable and helpful response or two.

Background -
I have the Ram 1500 DT CD-based Factory Service Manual from Ram Tech Authority that I bought from them back in October 2018, just after I got the Ram. It's HTML-based, and requires (forces, actually) Internet Explorer to run (I'm told it will also run in the Chrome browser, but I have not been successful). I copied the contents of the CD to a folder on my my hard drive and made a desktop shortcut to start it in IE11. All was good.
Not my first choice of format, IE11. Stuff is easy to find in the FSM if you already know where to look, but there's no ability to search (as with a PDF-based document), and this makes finding stuff difficult if you don't already have an idea where it might be. But I can print out pictures and procedures and take them to the vehicle as ready references. Work gets done.

So....
Pleased to finally see wiring diagrams for sale at the very same Ram Tech Authority, I forked over just shy of $150 for this USB version they sell. That was total cost, including sales tax and postage. Only took a few days to arrive and I was off to the races.
Or so I thought.
Size of a credit card and has a 2GB (yes, 2GB) USB thingy that swings out for use. Gotta be careful with that. It feels fragile when extended for use.
FrontPic.jpg BackPic.jpg

It forces Internet Explorer, just like the FSM. Okay, I'll endure. After all - now I have wiring diagrams, right?
After a frustrating first hour with it, I was hit hard with a dose of reality and concluded the purchase of this thing was a mistake.
Or perhaps I had unrealistic expectations, but right about here is where the excrement began impacting the rotating blades of my oscillating appliance.
Don't take my word. You decide:

1 - Inserted into any USB port, it did not autostart as it was advertised to do.

2 - It would not run using the instructions provided in the Readme file. No other instructions of any kind were enclosed.

3 - Looking into the autorun.inf file I discovered this thing has a COPY PROTECTION scheme (more on this in a bit), but reading this file also told how to get it started from the Windows File Explorer. Here's a picture of the contents of this USB device. You sharp-eyed folks will immediately notice that this USB stick thinks it's a CD, and that it's mounted. Well; then it should have auto-started.
ContentsPic.jpg
I've never seen a CD-format partition on a USB drive before. I must do research on this, and perhaps I'll discover a way to back this thing up. The use of a CD-format partition, in concert with the copy protection, means a few very frustrating things:

4 - Can't make a backup copy. I want a safety backup for the usual reasons. Hope this one doesn't fail while I own the Ram.

5 - Can't copy the contents to my hard drive and run it from there because the copy protection scheme checks for the presence of the USB stick when it starts, and even with the USB stick inserted, running from the hard drive will fail.

6 - Can't find a way to print an entire wiring diagram. Instructions to print are not included. Any attempt to print gives this output to my printer (a partial pic to keep this post size under control, but you get the idea).
OutputPic1.jpg

7 - If I try to save a diagram out as a graphic, my screen goes dark and this warning message appears. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. PrintScrn is disabled while the program is running.
MessagePic.jpg

Tried it anyway - no program I have would open the saved file, even though it claimed to be a .png. And that second sentence is wrong, because as soon as I closed the program, the saved file was immediately deleted.

8 - Any attempt to print by selecting Adobe PDF or Microsoft Print to PDF immediately grays out the PRINT button. Starting the program with either of those two choices as the default printer will lock up the program mid-start and require use of the Task Manager to close. I then have to re-assign a default printer for the program to run.

9 - Can't take a screengrab and print that. As mentioned above, PrintScrn is totally disabled while the program is running. Even if I minimize the program, I cannot use PrintScrn on any other window on my computer until the program is closed.

I can, however, take a picture of my computer screen with my cell phone ....

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!!
10 - The only way I could see an entire wiring diagram is to make it very much smaller using the zoom controls on the page and output as Microsoft XPS document. This creates a document with a .oxsp suffix that, just like the .png example in item 6 above, will be immediately deleted for me when I close the program.

And there you have it, folks: My Nightmare and welcome to it. Yours, too, if you buy one of these.

WTFO!
I sent Ram $150 and I got a tool(?) with a convoluted and difficult interface, and with limited access.
If I returned it, I'd "only" be out the return shipping and a rather punitive 25% "restocking fee."

"I am disappoint" as a Russian friend would say.

Still, reckon I'll keep it, as the cost of returning it sucks. With time, patience and perhaps a few helpful hints from you kind folks, the challenge of making a working backup copy and successfully printing to PDF will be minimal.

All thoughts and comments welcomed.
Thanks for listening.

Steve

Last edited:

Rick J

Reaction score
One thought. Have you tried the snipping tool. You can reduce the diagram until it has all the data you want. Snip it, save it to your desktop and then print in full page. That said, it sounds to me like while trying to protect their IP, they made their product almost useless..

stevj

Reaction score
One thought. Have you tried the snipping tool. You can reduce the diagram until it has all the data you want. Snip it, save it to your desktop and then print in full page. That said, it sounds to me like while trying to protect their IP, they made their product almost useless..

Not totally useless, but very close to it.
Not sure what you mean by snipping tool.
I spent some time collecting screen capture programs, if that's what you're refering to.
Want to see which, if any, will give satisfactory (readable) print results. None tested yet.
Need to research how to make working backup copies of CD-format USB sticks.

Steve

jimchi

Reaction score
Nonsense DRM that only makes it harder for the end user is why people pirate stuff like this, as the music and movie industries leaned more than a decade ago.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had enough trouble getting the service manual to work. Fortunately a kind hearted soul from this site helped me through it. But I've had nowhere the trouble that the OP has. I was thinking about purchasing the wiring information. But I don't need to spend $150 to frustrate myself.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045350 miles.

Rick J

Reaction score
Not totally useless, but very close to it.
Not sure what you mean by snipping tool.
I spent some time collecting screen capture programs, if that's what you're refering to.
Want to see which, if any, will give satisfactory (readable) print results. None tested yet.
Need to research how to make working backup copies of CD-format USB sticks.

Steve
If you are running windows the snipping tool is very useful. I use it quite a bit. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...eenshots-00246869-1843-655f-f220-97299b865f6b I've attached an example of snipping this conversation. If you're on a Mac, I'm giving you bad information :)

Capture.JPG

Zig10

Reaction score
I agree with the post above. Snipping tool should allow a screen shot of nearly anything. I have used it to get around similar issues in the past for wiring diagrams and other schematics.

stevj

Reaction score

Tomcat68

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'll get the trial and give it a go.

EDIT: Tried Techsmith Snagit. Neat program and seems up to the task.
I'll add that to my printing arsenal for these diagrams.
Thanks again.

Steve
Use ShareX or Greenshot. Both are free.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

stevj

Reaction score
Thanks for all the screen capture software suggestions. I have a lot of testing to do to pick one or two that work best. So far, Snagit is winning, but I'm not counting out any one of them until I give it a test run.
Now, if anyone has a suggestion about making a working backup of the USB stick that thinks it's a CD.
I used to have a program called CD Copy, but that was a long time ago, it was 32-bit, built for XP and my XP machine is long gone.

Steve

Tomcat68

Reaction score
Thanks for all the screen capture software suggestions. I have a lot of testing to do to pick one or two that work best. So far, Snagit is winning, but I'm not counting out any one of them until I give it a test run.
Now, if anyone has a suggestion about making a working backup of the USB stick that thinks it's a CD.
I used to have a program called CD Copy, but that was a long time ago, it was 32-bit, built for XP and my XP machine is long gone.

Steve
If I DM you my info, would you be willing to send me a zipped copy of all those files? I personally have no interest in the info, just getting it to work without USB.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

stevj

Reaction score
Heads up Follow-up.
For anyone still considering a purchase of the wiring diagrams from RAM -- DON'T.

Been testing Windows 11 for a while. Windows 11 does not have Internet Explorer. Has Edge instead. Won't run Internet Explorer.
If you click on the Internet Explorer icon, you get Edge.
Wiring Diagrams only run in Internet Explorer. I tried with Edge - no joy.
Edge allegedly has an IE compatibility mode, but nothing I've tried will get the wiring diagrams to display in Edge.
Also, the Factory Service Manual, that I mentioned in my original post, refuses to run.
The ONLY way I've found to use the wiring diagrams and FSM is to reload a Windows 10 image to the computer to give me the Internet Explorer those applications crave.
Granted, Windows 11 isn't in its final form yet and things could change, but I'm not holding my breath on that.
Thought you all should know.
Stay healthy out there.

Steve

Last edited:

GKBennett

Reaction score
Heads up Follow-up.
For anyone still considering a purchase of the wiring diagrams from RAM -- DON'T.

Been testing Windows 11 for a while. Windows 11 does not have Internet Explorer. Has Edge instead. Won't run Internet Explorer.
If you click on the Internet Explorer icon, you get Edge.
Wiring Diagrams only run in Internet Explorer. I tried with Edge - no joy.
Edge allegedly has an IE compatibility mode, but nothing I've tried will get the wiring diagrams to display in Edge.
Also, the Factory Service Manual, that I mentioned in my original post, refuses to run.
The ONLY way I've found to use the wiring diagrams and FSM is to reload a Windows 10 image to the computer to give me the Internet Explorer those applications crave.
Granted, Windows 11 isn't in its final form yet and things could change, but I'm not holding my breath on that.
Thought you all should know.
Stay healthy out there.

Steve
Hey Steve,
Try this!
Open the USB folder (CD Drive (f:) Ram Truck 1500),(for me) and you have to click on the Unlock_Manual.exe file first.
Next click on the "Launch.bat" file. This will open up Edge Explorer browser and you will get a gibberish page.

NOW!!!.............

1. On the top right hand side click on the three horizontal dots and then click on Settings...
Click on "Default Browser"
Now scroll down to "Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode" - Set this to "Allow".
Click on the restart button that pops up.
Edge should close then reopen with the manual now readable. You can close the "Settings" page.
Go back up to the top right hand side and click on the little IE icon that is now present. Your page should go back to gibberish. Now click on the icon again. This should bring the manual back up but now there is a window that will allow you to automatically "Open this page in Internet Explorer next time". Slide to ON then click "done".

I made a "Ram 1500 Service Manual.bat" file on my desktop that starts the Unlock_Manual.exe file and then opens Edge(it says Internet Explorer but it opens Edge).
The .bat file is simple to create in Notepad:
@echo off
Start F:\Unlock_Manual.exe
timeout 4
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "F:\common\html\default.htm"
Just change the directory to whatever your USB drive is.

Hope this helps. It works for the Service Manual. I haven't purchased the Electrical Wiring Diagram...yet.

ShortStack

Reaction score
Once you get it running you can try the extension https://www.downthemall.net/ - Just use your "CD" as the web page. Such as D:\manual\index.html.
It will download the entire manual in html format to your hard drive. Did this for my 2012 F-150 a long time ago. Images and all are obtained.

Good luck.

stevj

Reaction score
Hey Steve,
Try this!
Open the USB folder (CD Drive (f:) Ram Truck 1500),(for me) and you have to click on the Unlock_Manual.exe file first.
Next click on the "Launch.bat" file. This will open up Edge Explorer browser and you will get a gibberish page.

NOW!!!.............

1. On the top right hand side click on the three horizontal dots and then click on Settings...
Click on "Default Browser"
Now scroll down to "Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode" - Set this to "Allow".
Click on the restart button that pops up.
Edge should close then reopen with the manual now readable. You can close the "Settings" page.
Go back up to the top right hand side and click on the little IE icon that is now present. Your page should go back to gibberish. Now click on the icon again. This should bring the manual back up but now there is a window that will allow you to automatically "Open this page in Internet Explorer next time". Slide to ON then click "done".

I made a "Ram 1500 Service Manual.bat" file on my desktop that starts the Unlock_Manual.exe file and then opens Edge(it says Internet Explorer but it opens Edge).
The .bat file is simple to create in Notepad:
@echo off
Start F:\Unlock_Manual.exe
timeout 4
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "F:\common\html\default.htm"
Just change the directory to whatever your USB drive is.

Hope this helps. It works for the Service Manual. I haven't purchased the Electrical Wiring Diagram...yet.

@GKBennett
Thanks for the instructions and I've tried half a dozen times. AFter making Edge the default browser it still wouldn't play nice and I never could get the little IE icon to show.
Re-installed/repaired Edge. No change.
I have saved your instructions and will keep trying, but it looks like I'll be hanging on to Windows 10 and Internet explorer for a while just to run the FSM and Wiring Diagrams.

Steve

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I use the Mitchell online service manual. It's a annual subscription that's reasonable.
On electrical prints it has a printer icon to print to local printer. I have used it several times and it works nice. If I need bigger the 8.5x11 I print to pdf and take it to one of the local print places to print out a large copy.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread