5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Charging issue

YourmyboyBlue

Reaction score
Lonestar package. Front USB ports and an amazon q charger.

When plugged into the under the dial shifter. It is intermittent. Charges.. a few seconds later off. One day I actually lost charge on the phone.
Then I plugged it into the 12v cigarette charger on the top of the dash. BAM. charging even when the engine was off.

Is that front USB ports primarily for data to communicate with radio? Is expecting to charge a phone there a lost cause? Where can I find the tech specs for that front port to tell me electrical output? Finally is it a truck issue that I need to see my friends at the dealership?

ammdrew

Reaction score
2nd 5th gen, 19 and the 20 both have been picky to align for 12maxpro.. I have just gotten use to picking it up and putting it back down until I get the blue light... Ram could have done better imo I have a bunch around my house and shop that I can just toss the phone at and they always charge..

cjh0702

Reaction score
Lonestar package. Front USB ports and an amazon q charger.

When plugged into the under the dial shifter. It is intermittent. Charges.. a few seconds later off. One day I actually lost charge on the phone.
Then I plugged it into the 12v cigarette charger on the top of the dash. BAM. charging even when the engine was off.

Is that front USB ports primarily for data to communicate with radio? Is expecting to charge a phone there a lost cause? Where can I find the tech specs for that front port to tell me electrical output? Finally is it a truck issue that I need to see my friends at the dealership?
I would love to know as well. I'm having the same issue.

Kilroy

Reaction score
I had the same issue, I have a think SupCase-Beatle on my phone with a metal plate for my Scosche mount in other vehicles and found this prevent it from charging. The new 12 series and 12 Pro Max have a different charging setup that includes magnets to help center on a matching charger. These magnets interfere with some charging pads and you have to get them perfectly centered on the pad. For me, the only way I can get it to work is if I lay the phone in the holder/charger on its side with the top of the phone pointing to the passenger side of the truck. Works every time that way, and even in the case.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had the same issue, I have a think SupCase-Beatle on my phone with a metal plate for my Scosche mount in other vehicles and found this prevent it from charging. The new 12 series and 12 Pro Max have a different charging setup that includes magnets to help center on a matching charger. These magnets interfere with some charging pads and you have to get them perfectly centered on the pad. For me, the only way I can get it to work is if I lay the phone in the holder/charger on its side with the top of the phone pointing to the passenger side of the truck. Works every time that way, and even in the case.
Here are my thoughts, @cjh0702 and Kilroy, from an Engineers perspective. If you are plugging your Q charger into a USB port, the USB port, most likely, does not provide enough current for the charger to function. They are designed to plug into a wall charger and not just a USB port. I bet if you plugged it into your 120V outlet in your truck, it would charge your phone just fine. That's not a solution, but you could test it to see if I am right.

cjh0702

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts, @cjh0702 and Kilroy, from an Engineers perspective. If you are plugging your Q charger into a USB port, the USB port, most likely, does not provide enough current for the charger to function. They are designed to plug into a wall charger and not just a USB port. I bet if you plugged it into your 120V outlet in your truck, it would charge your phone just fine. That's not a solution, but you could test it to see if I am right.
It does work on the outlet. It also works if I use a USB charger from the cigarette lighter. The issue seems to be when I plug it in to the 4 USB ports (including the USBC) that transmit data. My wireless charging phone cradle works fine if plugged into the USB within the armrest.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It does work on the outlet. It also works if I use a USB charger from the cigarette lighter. The issue seems to be when I plug it in to the 4 USB ports (including the USBC) that transmit data. My wireless charging phone cradle works fine if plugged into the USB within the armrest.
The current output may be limited on the 4 USB ports that's causing the issue. Only thing that makes sense.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
I have an apple wireless charge it works fine in the USB port. It is slower then a direct plug in but works and stays charging the whole time. It does plug into the usb c port.

Kilroy

Reaction score
I have an apple wireless charge it works fine in the USB port. It is slower then a direct plug in but works and stays charging the whole time. It does plug into the usb c port.
Well, you guys are convincing me I need to take that area apart and check out how they have things wired. USB-C by design is capable of higher current than Older USB tech however unless they are supplying "each" port with its own data and power then I don't see how all these variations on results are possible.

Does anyone have access to the service manual for the 2020-2021 model year trucks? Wiring diagram, I could probably tell by that. I need to hunt up a video on disassembly of the console or the front dash where those are located and get a look at the cabling.

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
Cant speak on the Iphone , but I have the Ramcharger in my LongHorn and my Samsung Note 9 is VERY finicky when trying to get to charge! sometimes i have to reposition it 2 or 3 times before the light will turn blue and charge! And then sometimes ill be driving down the highway with it charging and out of nowhere it will beep at me and stop charging without even moving it so IDK. I've also noticed that my particular phone seems to charge easier upside down? lol... one day it wouldnt charge so i stuck it in upside down for fun and it instantly started to charge! Weird but it works when im desperate for a charge lol ...

I was super excited about having the Ramcharger on my new pickup but tbh I've been pretty disappointed with it! Even when it does charge it charges so dang slow to really make a difference lol. Might be usefull if your going on like a 6 hour trip, but for the normal every day use its honestly pretty pointless! Oh and it scratches so dam easily and looks like crap! Idk why but the material they made it out of is EXTREMELY prone to scratching! and looks like complete crap when the phones not docked!
You could’ve written my experience with my ‘21 Rebel, even though I have an iPhone 12 max. Sometimes it charges sometimes it stops it’ll start again. And the location for the charging pad looks like something they threw together at the last minute. (Just like their so-called “Lane keep”)
When I get a chance I want to try doing it on its side or upside down.

NorcalMike

Reaction score
I have a 12 Pro Max with the Apple leather case. Mine seems to work fine most of the time just a little picky to get it going. I put it in standing up close to the left side and just slide it to the right until it starts charging.

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max with the Apple case, I can get the blue light to come on and then it goes off and turns red the letter if comes on and goes back off. An iPhone 11 seems to charge just fine I think it has to do with the magnetics. Well that and the fact that sometimes Ram seems to only do things half ***, like their so-called lane keep and their real mileage (not the nonsense mileage they put on the sticker)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max with the Apple case, I can get the blue light to come on and then it goes off and turns red the letter if comes on and goes back off. An iPhone 11 seems to charge just fine I think it has to do with the magnetics. Well that and the fact that sometimes Ram seems to only do things half ***, like their so-called lane keep and their real mileage (not the nonsense mileage they put on the sticker)
I had the same issue...the 12 Pro Max is just too big:(

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Cant speak on the Iphone , but I have the Ramcharger in my LongHorn and my Samsung Note 9 is VERY finicky when trying to get to charge! sometimes i have to reposition it 2 or 3 times before the light will turn blue and charge! And then sometimes ill be driving down the highway with it charging and out of nowhere it will beep at me and stop charging without even moving it so IDK. I've also noticed that my particular phone seems to charge easier upside down? lol... one day it wouldnt charge so i stuck it in upside down for fun and it instantly started to charge! Weird but it works when im desperate for a charge lol ...

I was super excited about having the Ramcharger on my new pickup but tbh I've been pretty disappointed with it! Even when it does charge it charges so dang slow to really make a difference lol. Might be usefull if your going on like a 6 hour trip, but for the normal every day use its honestly pretty pointless! Oh and it scratches so dam easily and looks like crap! Idk why but the material they made it out of is EXTREMELY prone to scratching! and looks like complete crap when the phones not docked!
You must have a really abrasive case on your phone. I've only had my truck a little over 2 weeks and my Ram Charger is still scratch free. I can stick my Galaxy S21 anywhere near the charging light and it starts to charge. I haven't had to reposition it yet. It does charge slower than a USB cord but that is the nature of the beast with wireless charging. I had about 65% charge on my 40 minute drive home the other day...placed it in the Ram Charger and and it was about 95% when I got home.

Jschultz2023

Reaction score
The problems that everyone has had are they factory installed or have any of them been a accessory installed? Just wondering

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I liked that my Laramie came with wireless charging, however I had to replace my
phone when it got water damaged and the new one doesn't do wireless Charging.

Malodave

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread