5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Charging issue

CaptainJC

Reaction score
New to the forum, (I attempted a search so hopefully I didn't miss an obvious thread here).

Just picked up my '21 Limited with wireless charging and realized that I can't seem to get my iPhone 12 Pro Max to charge on the wireless charger (removed from case, no change).

I can get my wife's iPhone 12 Pro (standard size, not the Max) to charge easily (without case), however I can't seem to get mine to position correctly to get it to charge it. Any tricks to get this to work, or is the phone just too big for the wireless charging?

Thanks in advance!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just put my phone into the charger and the blue light came right on and said charging. Are you centering the phone properly on the charging pad?

CaptainJC

Reaction score
Just put my phone into the charger and the blue light came right on and said charging. Are you centering the phone properly on the charging pad?
Thanks for the quick reply, and yes, I believe I am. I was using the right side of the LED as a guide to align the phone just like I was when I tested with my wife's phone. I just rebooted my phone for good measure as well and will to try it again to make sure its dead center and see.

Venom700

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, and yes, I believe I am. I was using the right side of the LED as a guide to align the phone just like I was when I tested with my wife's phone. I just rebooted my phone for good measure as well and will to try it again to make sure its dead center and see.
My 12 pro is very particular on where I place it. Has to be just correct (right to left) to charge.

CaptainJC

Reaction score
I just tried it again, ensured dead center of the wireless charger square with truck running and no dice. Very strange, it wireless charges on my desk charger and wireless mag charger from apple without issues.

Venom700

Reaction score
I just tried it again, ensured dead center of the wireless charger square with truck running and no dice. Very strange, it wireless charges on my desk charger and wireless mag charger from apple without issues.
I have to place mine to the right some for it to work.

kooz21

Reaction score
I test drove a few with the wireless charger. When the salesmen went to demonstrate, it never worked. Not once. Good luck.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
And it is sitting perfectly flat against the changing pad?

Skater

Reaction score
I do not know if others have had this issue, but for my iPhone I cannot push it down into the rubber bumper and get it to charge. Maybe just place it on the curled up rubber bumper and do not push it down into it and the charger may recognize your phone. That is what I found worked for me. Good luck.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
New to the forum, (I attempted a search so hopefully I didn't miss an obvious thread here).

Just picked up my '21 Limited with wireless charging and realized that I can't seem to get my iPhone 12 Pro Max to charge on the wireless charger (removed from case, no change).

I can get my wife's iPhone 12 Pro (standard size, not the Max) to charge easily (without case), however I can't seem to get mine to position correctly to get it to charge it. Any tricks to get this to work, or is the phone just too big for the wireless charging?

Thanks in advance!
I just lay mine on its side (top against the left edge of the console). Charges every time in its OtterBox Symmetry case.

Tabascocat

Reaction score
Yea, the 12 pro max has a battery too high in it. I can get mine to charge standing up after about 10 minutes of positioning. Just lay it on its side, works every time (y)

CaptainJC

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, I’ll try it on its side again with the top on the left side tomorrow.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Cant speak on the Iphone , but I have the Ramcharger in my LongHorn and my Samsung Note 9 is VERY finicky when trying to get to charge! sometimes i have to reposition it 2 or 3 times before the light will turn blue and charge! And then sometimes ill be driving down the highway with it charging and out of nowhere it will beep at me and stop charging without even moving it so IDK. I've also noticed that my particular phone seems to charge easier upside down? lol... one day it wouldnt charge so i stuck it in upside down for fun and it instantly started to charge! Weird but it works when im desperate for a charge lol ...

I was super excited about having the Ramcharger on my new pickup but tbh I've been pretty disappointed with it! Even when it does charge it charges so dang slow to really make a difference lol. Might be usefull if your going on like a 6 hour trip, but for the normal every day use its honestly pretty pointless! Oh and it scratches so dam easily and looks like crap! Idk why but the material they made it out of is EXTREMELY prone to scratching! and looks like complete crap when the phones not docked!

CaptainJC

Reaction score
I have messed with this thing to no end, I honestly think it's just not designed for a larger phone like this. I can't set it over on its side and keep the back flat without a case (cameras protrude past back and creates a air gap) and I can't set it above the lower "grips" because the phone is so tall it hits the dash first. I'll honestly just plug it it for most trips anyway since we still don't have wireless apple car play and have to plug it in for Waze anyway...

I'll keep messing with it from time to time, thanks all for the suggestions. It was great to see how active the forms are here!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With my Droid Turbo 2, I have to slide it around a little to get it to start.
Some times I have to remove and reinsert it.

Flashing red it knows it is there but not centered.
Solid Blue, It is charging the phone.
Flashing Blue, it is fully charged.

Malodave

Last edited:

PM-Performance

Reaction score
My 11 pro does not charge standing up or into the rubber slits.
Only way I get mine to work is to lay on its side and sit on top of the rubber

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I have the 12 pro max with a case. It’s a tight fit but it’ll work. I’ve found the it has to sit to the right of center by at least 1/2”.... then give it a second to be recognized. Takes some fiddling but it should work...

Users who are viewing this thread