5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter vs Summer Gasoline Blend

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed that my mileage usually drops about 1 MPG once my state switches over the the winter blends at the end of October.

I average about 19.5 MPG in the summer and drop to 18.5 MPG in the winter.

After some research I found out that: "Winter-blend gas has a higher Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) because the fuel must be able to evaporate at low temperatures for the engine to operate properly. Summer-blend gas has a lower RVP to prevent excessive evaporation when outside temperatures rise."

What that means is that the refiners have to add butane to the winter gas so that it will ignite at lower temperatures making it more volatile in the winter.

This lowers the density of the BTU's meaning that summer blends have 1.7 percent more energy than winter blends.

This accounts for the drop in my fuel economy.

See the following article for more details:

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Usually drops a few cents/litre here but with our carbon tax it might not this year. Thanks Trudope(Canadians will know who this is) :LOL:

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always knew there was a difference but didn’t know what was actually different. Nice write up and good information.

zlman

Reaction score
I don't notice a price change at the seasonal switch but certainly notice lower mpg on winter blend in MN as much as 3-4 mpg.
I'm seeing this too, also MN resident. I was getting a solid 18mpg all summer, averaging 16.1 now, exact same driving conditions.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I can tell you is that in California, the price goes up because "we're switching to winter blend" and then a few months later the price goes up again because "we're switching to summer blend." I never noticed much in the way of decreased economy either way.
California gas prices also go up when there are refinery/pipeline issues on the East Coast. :cautious:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'm seeing this too, also MN resident. I was getting a solid 18mpg all summer, averaging 16.1 now, exact same driving conditions.
Cold air is more dense than warm air, so your computer compensates by increasing the amount of fuel needed so your tuck doesn't run lean. Add that to a winter blend fuel and your mileage decreases by a couple mpg's. There is a positive...your engine produces more power in cold air. The perfect combination for a snow covered Minnesota road. :ROFLMAO:

truckless

Reaction score
Usually drops a few cents/litre here but with our carbon tax it might not this year. Thanks Trudope(Canadians will know who this is) :LOL:

You mean The Supreme Groper? The Titty Puncher? The Woman Disempowering Feminist? He Who Gives Untendered Government Contracts to Non-profit Organizations Who His Wife, Mother and Brother all get Financial Kickbacks? That guy?

;)

Scram1500

Reaction score
You mean The Supreme Groper? The Titty Puncher? The Woman Disempowering Feminist? He Who Gives Untendered Government Contracts to Non-profit Organizations Who His Wife, Mother and Brother all get Financial Kickbacks? That guy?

;)
Was that before, after, or during his dressing up in blackface?

Users who are viewing this thread