5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield

Halfpint81

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering has anyone had to replace there windshield yet? If so what am I looking at for price?

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Go to www.safelite.com and you can get a price, it depends on your options (Lane keeping, Rams head logo on the glass...) If you have lane keeping, it is extra to recalibrate the electronics after a windshield replacement.

Halfpint81

Reaction score
Just had my windshield replaced and just an FYI to all make sure you shop around. First quote was $799 installed got the price down to $445 installed. Also that was a windshield for a Laramie with all the fun sensor things lol

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
I'm now going on my 4th windshield! Just lost one today. Has anybody else had problems with the new windshields. The first one was a hard hit by a rock but the last 2 were light taps. I have no faith in the strength of these windshields anymore.

fireron

Reaction score
You may, or may not, need to recalibrate for lane keeping and distance cruise control. Mine when it was replaced, was spot on and did not need to go to the dealer.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
You may, or may not, need to recalibrate for lane keeping and distance cruise control. Mine when it was replaced, was spot on and did not need to go to the dealer.
I did not need to calibrate my last 2 windshields and I have all the bells and whistles. Everything worked perfectly except my rock force field to protect the glass. I'm not changing this one until the crack runs wild. The crack is up top on the right side. Both of my light rock taps were up high close to the edge. I've only replaced 2 windshields in 35 years of driving until this truck. Windshield number 2 lasted only 10 days! I've had the truck for only 14 months.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Why don't you all carry full glass coverage? It's $18 a year on a 2020 Laramie Longhorn in NY.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used that Safelite link from an earlier reply here and went through a gen 5 19’ with lane keeping etc. .The message said there’s a national shortage of the “RAM head” branded glass, and asked if an “alternative” was ok. The price was
Your glass service quote*:
$569.99

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
I used that Safelite link from an earlier reply here and went through a gen 5 19’ with lane keeping etc. .The message said there’s a national shortage of the “RAM head” branded glass, and asked if an “alternative” was ok. The price was
Your glass service quote*:
$569.99
I had to wait over a month for my first windshield. The last one about 2 months ago was in stock. I guess as easy as they break they're running out. I'd be tempted to try a non-oem maybe they're stronger. I'd just worry about how all the sensors would work with a non-oem.

buffalobill

Reaction score
We have full glass coverage here in AZ . I had my windshield replaced with oem , perfect job . If they know what they are doing nothing has to be re-calibrated . I was in the glass business for 47 years and I would not let safelite touch my truck .

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
We have full glass coverage here in AZ . I had my windshield replaced with oem , perfect job . If they know what they are doing nothing has to be re-calibrated . I was in the glass business for 47 years and I would not let safelite touch my truck .
Couldn't safelite have really great techs that do a great job (based on your post)?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Everyone has their favorites, and even that great restaurant you went to for the last couple years could change its chef and menu tomorrow.
Company training, where they source their glass from, pay system for techs and overall philosophy all have some bearing but “in general”, companies levels of quality rise and fall so that ”wonderful 1st place” outfit likely won’t be there in that top position in the next year or two.
Who’d have thought RAM would be in the #2 sales spot and have won over the auto writers in late 2018 and early 2019 if someone had made that prediction in Jan of 2017?
It seems that there's few if any companies that will stay in business very long if they give the consumer total crap. The internet (forums and easy research) has really impacted business models.
Then You have people like me who (according to my wife) can’t really tell the difference between a really good meal and an average one... YMMV.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Everyone has their favorites, and even that great restaurant you went to for the last couple years could change its chef and menu tomorrow.
Company training, where they source their glass from, pay system for techs and overall philosophy all have some bearing but “in general”, companies levels of quality rise and fall so that ”wonderful 1st place” outfit likely won’t be there in that top position in the next year or two.
Who’d have thought RAM would be in the #2 sales spot and have won over the auto writers in late 2018 and early 2019 if someone had made that prediction in Jan of 2017?
It seems that there's few if any companies that will stay in business very long if they give the consumer total crap. The internet (forums and easy research) has really impacted business models.
Then You have people like me who (according to my wife) can’t really tell the difference between a really good meal and an average one... YMMV.
I asked as I had Safelite replace a windshield in my wife's Honda Fit last year. The price was reasonable and the tech was fantastic. He was very anal about every step of the process. He had all the right tools and when he finished you couldn't tell he had worked on the car. I was impressed.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I asked as I had Safelite replace a windshield in my wife's Honda Fit last year. The price was reasonable and the tech was fantastic. He was very anal about every step of the process. He had all the right tools and when he finished you couldn't tell he had worked on the car. I was impressed.
They did my F150 front and super cab side glass, the tech tried to get all the shattered glass out of the side door but couldn’t possibly remove it all. I thought he did as good as could be expected to do. But then, I’m not Mr. absolute picky either.
Edit: Some of the tiny cubes of window glass fell down into the bottom of the door and the pieces were so small that they lodged down into the pinch-pleat. Thus there were enough left so that when you shut the door hard you heard them rattle. No doubt persnickity types would have demanded every last bit of glass cubes removed but I’m not that way. Not saying it was a factory job, but I didn't pay for a factory job... just paying the $300 for the dumb glass fix was enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I'm now going on my 4th windshield! Just lost one today. Has anybody else had problems with the new windshields. The first one was a hard hit by a rock but the last 2 were light taps. I have no faith in the strength of these windshields anymore.

I had two cracks within the first month and have been driving around with them ever since. With all the talk about the new Ram windshields cracking I figure I’ll just wait until I can’t see out anymore to replace mine.

Users who are viewing this thread