5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield

Halfpint81

Reaction score
I went with a non oem windshield for $350 and no recalibration needed. Apparently if they don’t start the truck when the windshield is out you should be good.

Rayzram

Reaction score
Just had mine replaced a week ago. My Glass guy got the only one in this area that was available. It was OEM Mopar glass, according to my insurance company and my glass guy nothing was available aftermarket due to rain since wipers. Glass was $975.00 + Install. I have a $500 deduct on comp so it cost me out of pocket $500.00, insurance picked up the remainder. I called my selling dealer and parts verified 1 glass available, and some glass guy just nabbed it (which was for my truck) so I know he was not pulling my leg. They are not easy to come by in my parts I can tell you. I was very fortunate to get this 1 and only available windshield.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think these new modern windshields are weaker for some reason. On my old 1993 Ford Ranger, I have 3 rock ships that have spiderwebs, non have grown larger in the years they have been there.

On my 2015 F150, I had two cracks at different times, and both grew from small chips to giant cracks over a foot long within a few hours of getting them.

Based on what I'm reading on this forum, I can expect the same for the RAM.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I think these new modern windshields are weaker for some reason. On my old 1993 Ford Ranger, I have 3 rock ships that have spiderwebs, non have grown larger in the years they have been there.

On my 2015 F150, I had two cracks at different times, and both grew from small chips to giant cracks over a foot long within a few hours of getting them.

Based on what I'm reading on this forum, I can expect the same for the RAM.
Interesting reading here. In the last dozen vehicles I've owned I've not had an issue with a windshield. I live in upstate NY where they throw all manner of crap on the roads all winter long. My wife's little Honda Fit caught a big rock on a trip to Maine, but other than that, no issues with 4-5 vehicles on the road at one time. Just odd to me that some have so many issues.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Interesting reading here. In the last dozen vehicles I've owned I've not had an issue with a windshield. I live in upstate NY where they throw all manner of crap on the roads all winter long. My wife's little Honda Fit caught a big rock on a trip to Maine, but other than that, no issues with 4-5 vehicles on the road at one time. Just odd to me that some have so many issues.
I looked up "are newer windshields weaker" and there was a 2018 article from a glass shop that said: "The problem with windshields being damaged more easily now than in the past comes when the heat and pressure are used during the lamination process. The glass outer layers go through a lot of stress, which causes them to form microscopic defects, especially around the edges of the windshield. Whenever a rock, piece of debris, or sudden and violent jolt affects the area where these stress defects are, the windshield is more likely to more easily sustain a larger chip or crack."

Doesn't explain necessarily how a person could have 2-3 cracked/chipped windshields in a year while another can go a decade. I know that I had one go out on me in 2016 and nothing since.
The factory glass in my F150 (with the "quiet" technology) lasted about 3 months when a rock took it out. What started as a a small crack on the passenger side grew in a day to go all across into the drivers field of vision, since then, nothing even though the rocks keep coming... I do see that prices are increasing a lot due to all the safety sense tech embedded in or around them.

Jako

Reaction score
I live in downstate NY where there is also "all manner of crap" 4 out of 6 cars with chips. 1990 Celica, 1994 Explorer, 2001 Dodge Ram, 2006 Accord, 2017 Civic and 2019 Ram. 1990 and 2019 no chips. The 1990 Celica is just shy of 180,000 miles - is it luck or engineering/design? 2019 has 12K miles so it is still an infant.

Users who are viewing this thread