5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Tinting...Distorted view?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a fellow Texan, may I ask why you say you won't be doing it again?
The distortion subsided but never fully went away. Even the guys at Executive Tint in Houston who installed it admitted there is distortion unless you install the high dollar 3M Crystilline tint.

I finally had my 2020 tinted three weeks ago and they asked if I wanted the 3M Crystilline installed on the windshield - stating there would be no distortion. I said sure but if there is any distortion then it’s free...they declined my offer and I declined their windshield tint.

Don’t get me wrong as it works well but the distortion is something I won’t put up with when it comes to a safety item like glass.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There should be no distortion or patterns in good quality tint. Always ask for a sample to try. Shops always have scraps.

I use a couple different pairs of sunglasses and polarized glasses as I work on the water. Some sunglasses I cannot stand as I can see/differentiate polarized light with my naked eyes somewhat ( hourglass fuzzy shape in vision, Haidinger's brush ) and some glasses and tint drive me insane. It is very easy to pick up patterns ( diamonds, bars or waves and distortions ) in glass especially on bright sunny days. I always ask to have a sample of the tint to check with both my eyes and my 2-3 go to pairs of sunglasses to check for problems.

The 3m crystalline tints, which you mention almost always have patterns that drive me nuts. So do most cheap no name tints. My best luck has been with LLumar and particularly with ceramic or metallic tints. I'm extremely picky/sensitive though. I won't even use some cars as the stock glass has patterns from the lamination or the cooling of the windshield and back glass. Some buildings particularly the higher end energy efficient windows also have it and it drives me crazy.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The distortion subsided but never fully went away. Even the guys at Executive Tint in Houston who installed it admitted there is distortion unless you install the high dollar 3M Crystilline tint.

I finally had my 2020 tinted three weeks ago and they asked if I wanted the 3M Crystilline installed on the windshield - stating there would be no distortion. I said sure but if there is any distortion then it’s free...they declined my offer and I declined their windshield tint.

Don’t get me wrong as it works well but the distortion is something I won’t put up with when it comes to a safety item like glass.

They did my windows and tried to get me to do the windshield... When I mentioned I was concerned about distortion, especially at night since my LASIK causes everything to have a starburst effect, they moved on to the next subject.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I have 60% 3M crystalline on mine and there’s no distortion. It’s really nice! It feels like it’s way easier for my AC to keep the temps cold because it’s not fighting so much heat coming through the windshield.

Code2medic

Reaction score
I had my windshield done with XPEL Prime XR Plus, 70% Clear, which is ceramic. Cannot even tell its there except the noticeable heat reduction in the cab.
^^^ this mine has the same as mentioned don’t even notice it there

Users who are viewing this thread