5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Tinting...Distorted view?

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks. Searched and couldn't find this subject specifically. For those that have had their windshield tinted...do you experience any distortion? I'm particularly concerned about the edges. I'm looking at ceramic tint specifically for heat rejection. Any thoughts?

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No distorted view here. When it is first completed, there is some slight waving but that is normal and clears up quickly. Also was not so much of an issue that you can't drive.

Scott B.

Reaction score
I had my windshield done with XPEL Prime XR Plus, 70% Clear, which is ceramic. Cannot even tell its there except the noticeable heat reduction in the cab.

dandar

Reaction score
I have 3M ceramic 20% on mine and don't really like it. I put non-ceramic 35% on wife's car and like it much better. Ceramic gives haze/fog when sun shines at it off angle. Yes it improved after about a year, but it's still there.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3M ceramic 20% on mine and don't really like it. I put non-ceramic 35% on wife's car and like it much better. Ceramic gives haze/fog when sun shines at it off angle. Yes it improved after about a year, but it's still there.
You put 20% on your windshield? Or are you talking side windows? I had my sides/rear done with the following and I don't have any haze at all...I'm really happy with it, but I'm concerned about the windshield only.

BNeal

Reaction score
Yea, I want to do the same thing, but it's expensive, and if I have it done and don't like it, I'll be really pissed. But these TX summers are blistering, so I'll probably get it done and hope for the best.

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
We did 50% on the whole windshields of our Ram and Jeep. My wife and I both love it and no distortion.

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
It’s not a problem at all for us and we really don’t notice it. She’s never complained about not being able to see at night.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same I am at 50% on the windshield - no issue at all. I originally went in for the sides and they upsold me on the windshield. LOL! I had never even heard of doing that so first things asked about night vision and he said it wouldn't interfere...and he was right. So used to I do not like being in cars without it and I am gloomy upstate NY.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use Llumar Air 80 on my windshields. 99% UV and 43% heat reduction with zero visibility issues because it’s a clear tint.

jeepfoamer

Reaction score
I had the XPEL XR ceramic 70% put on my windshield and I notice a bit of discoloration and distortion when I'm wearing my polarized sunglasses. But since I have had the tint on I actually wear my sunglasses far less often and even when I do the distortion is not bad enough to concern me, it is very minor.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 35% on the top of my windshield on my commuter car (I am a melanoma survivor so I need all the UV blocking I can get) and I don't like it and wouldn't get it again. The transition between clear and tinted is like the perception shift you get if you close one eye then open it and close the other. I love it on my side windows but the whole windows are done. My state doesn't allow full tinted windshields and legally nothing stronger than 35% though most shops will do whatever you want on the sides if you sign a waiver.

dandar

Reaction score
You put 20% on your windshield? Or are you talking side windows? I had my sides/rear done with the following and I don't have any haze at all...I'm really happy with it, but I'm concerned about the windshield only.
Sorry about reading comprehension. I meant the front sides.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
90% 3M crystaline on windshield and I love it. Great heat rejection and you can't tell its there.

If you wear polarized sunglasses you may get some odd colors at times, but to me that was minimal and not a huge issue. With non-polarized sunglasses or no sunglasses I have zero distorion or issues like you mentioned.

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
I had my windshield done with XPEL Prime XR Plus, 70% Clear, which is ceramic. Cannot even tell its there except the noticeable heat reduction in the cab.
Is it worth the money? Noticeable difference? Thanks

Scott B.

Reaction score
In my opinion it is absolutely worth it. I live in South Texas and as I'm sure you know it gets H O T! With my windshield coated it is much less hot. Also, the UV protection it offers has protected my dash and seats from sun damage so far.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Folks. Searched and couldn't find this subject specifically. For those that have had their windshield tinted...do you experience any distortion? I'm particularly concerned about the edges. I'm looking at ceramic tint specifically for heat rejection. Any thoughts?

We had it done on our 2019 Lone Star and it was distorted for about two weeks before it fully cured. We love in Texas where it gets very hot but won’t be doing it again.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We had it done on our 2019 Lone Star and it was distorted for about two weeks before it fully cured. We love in Texas where it gets very hot but won’t be doing it again.

As a fellow Texan, may I ask why you say you won't be doing it again?

Users who are viewing this thread