5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Tint and Paint Protection Film for Sides

ImEngineer

Reaction score
1) Windshield tint: I'd like to install a very low tint (almost clear) to the inside of the windshield to help cut down on the UV rays getting inside. Does anyone know of any sources for a good pre-cut windshield tint film?
  • Side note: I'm aware of two cons/risks with this and am willing to install the tint anyways given these two risks. If there are others I'm not thinking of, please comment below. The two I know of are: 1) tint on the windshield may make the windshield less clear due to the waviness of the film and 2) Don't get the BCM wet; people have fried various electronics letting too much water run down the dash when installing this tint

2) Does anyone know of any sources for a good pre-cut PPF for the sides of the truck? The previous owner installed the front PPF, but that still leaves me susceptible to the Colorado pinstripes.

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know of any pre-cut kits. I can tell you to belay your fears of tinting the windshield. If you use a quality tint and have a pro do it there is no distortion.

I bought my car used and did not even notice the windshield was tinted until I saw they went around the inspection sticker. Depending on the state it may be illegal though. In my state you need an optometrist prescription saying you need tint. Mine was in the glove compartment during inspection, 😉😉.

ImEngineer

Reaction score
I don't know of any pre-cut kits. I can tell you to belay your fears of tinting the windshield. If you use a quality tint and have a pro do it there is no distortion.

I bought my car used and did not even notice the windshield was tinted until I saw they went around the inspection sticker. Depending on the state it may be illegal though. In my state you need an optometrist prescription saying you need tint. Mine was in the glove compartment during inspection, 😉😉.
My thoughts exactly. I had the front door windows tinted by a pro and they are PERFECT. No distortion or bubbles, so I am confident it is possible to make the windshield good too.
In case anyone is curious, this is the law in Colorado: "motor vehicles registered in Colorado must transmit at least 70% of light through the windshield and 27% of light through other windows". I don't believe a prescription is required.

I'd like to have as light of tint as possible, but still cut down on the heat coming in. @Mountain Whiskey How much tint do you have on the windshield?

66Fuelie

Reaction score
If you have HUD I would make sure it wouldn't interfere with that.
Tom

GMetal

Reaction score
I have a clear UV film on my front window. It works fine with the HUD. It was done twice since they got contaminants under the film the first try. Id say find the best tint place in your area and have them do it. When done right it should be mostly invisible.

jit11375

Reaction score
I originally had wanted to go 70%, but my tint shop convinced me to go 40% tint for the windshield. Since then, all of my cars have the windshield tinted. Don't realize it's tinted until I sit in a car which doesn't have it.

No waviness, no bubbles, no distortion at all. Cuts down on so much of the heat transmission through the windshield when driving with the sun out. Looks great from the outside as well.

fliptide

Reaction score
I think I paid $200 for xpel on front windshield (70%). Worth every penny, not sure I would want to attempt that install. There is a rainbow effect in certain light conditions with polarized sunglasses.
If I wasn't concerned about passing inspections, I would have gone darker, the 70% is almost clear.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
2) Does anyone know of any sources for a good pre-cut PPF for the sides of the truck? The previous owner installed the front PPF, but that still leaves me susceptible to the Colorado pinstripes.
Can buy directly from Xpel if you want

Looks like they have tailgate, doors, rear quarter panels (5'7 only but has Rambox trim also), a-pillars and roof.

Kumba1010

Reaction score
Had the Air blue 80 applied on my windshield by a pro. Loving it, not issues.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. I had the front door windows tinted by a pro and they are PERFECT. No distortion or bubbles, so I am confident it is possible to make the windshield good too.
In case anyone is curious, this is the law in Colorado: "motor vehicles registered in Colorado must transmit at least 70% of light through the windshield and 27% of light through other windows". I don't believe a prescription is required.

I'd like to have as light of tint as possible, but still cut down on the heat coming in. @Mountain Whiskey How much tint do you have on the windshield?
This is on a Chrysler car I bought used out of state. I really don't know the level. Since I have 35% on the side windows of my Ram, I think it is less. It does not interfere with vision at night (the black side windows are another matter). It does help with heat, especially in a black car.

Users who are viewing this thread