5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield tint and HUD

WocketSci

Reaction score
For those of you who have tinted the front window, I'm wondering if you've noticed any negative effects on the HUD or the light meter that turns on the headlights, dash light levels, etc. I think those are the only things that could be affected. Any distortion looking out or in the projected HUD display? Any problems with sensing the light and things coming on too early or staying on? Problems with polarized sun glasses? I've seen the HUD mentioned once or twice under other threads (and I've searched and read a lot) but not enough to make me comfortable pulling the trigger. Yes, I know all about the BCM concerns. And yes, I know the type of tint will certainly affect it, which is something I'd like to get a little data on. I'm mainly interested in the UV/heat blocking so ceramic tint is the way I'll go for the windshield. Please let me know what you've noticed and what type of tint you have. I'm an engineer so I love data and informed decisions ;)

I've been too busy reading the forum and haven't put my signature together yet but... 2023 Limited crew cab 4X4 in Granite, Night Edition, Level 1 equipment group, 3.92, panoramic sun roof, 33 gal tank. No mods yet but I did pick up the 55 gal Husky bins and Heininger tension bar for bed storage and love it. Thanks for the idea!

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The lights will turn on a little earlier, nothing I can't shut off if I feel the need to. I don't have the HUD, so no clue. Full windshield 50% with a 10" strip of 5%.

GMetal

Reaction score
I have clear UV film on the front window and the HUD works fine. I only notice it when I wear polarized sunglases. then I get weird colored views through it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
35% full windshield. Auto headlights do come on sooner, but doesn't bother me any. Sometimes I have to fill the dimmer switch up to get radio display back to fill brightness, but just depends on lighting and glare angle at the time

Psifer

Reaction score
I have 35% on the windshield and a 5% AS1 banner. I've never really paid attention to the headlights coming on earlier but the HUD looks perfectly fine. I wish it was a little bit darker on sunny days and a little bit brighter at night. Overall, I'm extremely happy with 35%. At most, you can make out my silhouette on sunny days while having full privacy during cloudy days and at night.

Ceri

Reaction score
I went with an 80% Llumar Air ceramic tint for my windshield when I had the rest of the truck done. My tinter did not cover behind the upper rear view plastic panel thing, and I think that's where the daylight sensor lives. The auto headlights are exactly the same as I remember before. The HUD is completely unaffected so far as I can tell. Still as clear as before with my tint. I wear transition glasses and haven't noticed any negative affects. I went with 30% on the front driver/passenger windows and it is fairly dark at night when there aren't any sources of light around. I DID notice that a little bit. Before tint I could make out shapes to my left and right, and after it's more difficult. No issues with seeing cars, etc. when their headlights are on, or if there's any sort of street lighting.

That said, the truck is markedly cooler when I get in during 100+ F Texas summer days, and cools down to the target range considerably faster since getting ceramic on all glass. I took my windshield cover out of my truck (one less thing to slide around the back seat floorboard). No regrets. I would totally do it again.

I paid $928 for:
Front doors: 30% IRX
Rear doors: 80% Air
Rear window: 80% Air
Panoramic sunroof: 80% Air
Windshield: 80% Air

30% was as dark as I could which puts it right around the 35% visible light transmittance (VLT) legal limit. The rears have a colorized additive in the glass that is around 20% VLT so I stuck the the Air series to get the benefits of heat rejection without making it much darker. You can see it's not a total match front to back in my avatar picture, but I still love the look.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with an 80% Llumar Air ceramic tint for my windshield when I had the rest of the truck done. My tinter did not cover behind the upper rear view plastic panel thing, and I think that's where the daylight sensor lives. The auto headlights are exactly the same as I remember before. The HUD is completely unaffected so far as I can tell. Still as clear as before with my tint. I wear transition glasses and haven't noticed any negative affects. I went with 30% on the front driver/passenger windows and it is fairly dark at night when there aren't any sources of light around. I DID notice that a little bit. Before tint I could make out shapes to my left and right, and after it's more difficult. No issues with seeing cars, etc. when their headlights are on, or if there's any sort of street lighting.

That said, the truck is markedly cooler when I get in during 100+ F Texas summer days, and cools down to the target range considerably faster since getting ceramic on all glass. I took my windshield cover out of my truck (one less thing to slide around the back seat floorboard). No regrets. I would totally do it again.

I paid $928 for:
Front doors: 30% IRX
Rear doors: 80% Air
Rear window: 80% Air
Panoramic sunroof: 80% Air
Windshield: 80% Air

30% was as dark as I could which puts it right around the 35% visible light transmittance (VLT) legal limit. The rears have a colorized additive in the glass that is around 20% VLT so I stuck the the Air series to get the benefits of heat rejection without making it much darker. You can see it's not a total match front to back in my avatar picture, but I still love the look.
How does 30% tint give you 35% vlt? It lets more light through than the tint rating?

Ceri

Reaction score
How does 30% tint give you 35% vlt? It lets more light through than the tint rating?

Yes, according to the manufacturer and the shop that installed it. Their "30%" tint says 33% VLT, while there "35%" tint says 39 VLT. He didn't directly show me any measurements of my truck after he got done.

1705322679314.png
1705322699769.png

Users who are viewing this thread