5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield replacement defects

Mike19dc

Reaction score
Hello all. 2019 bighorn. I recently had my windshield replaced because I had a nice edge crack on my original one. I went to a reputable place and asked for a OEM replacement, they guy said no problem, I went to pick it up after it was done and noticed ripples and wavyness on the windshield. I brought it back to the guy and he said he saw it as well and it must’ve been a defect, he ordered me a new one and installed it. The new windshield looks fine but idk for some reason where the shadow of the automatic light senor is it seems like that doesn’t look right, Idk if that’s normal and because I had that previous experience I am just looking for something to be wrong. Has anyone else had this problem with an OEM mopar glass ? Frustrating.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well I’ve been waiting for a windshield for about 2 months now I think. If I ever get my replacement maybe I can help

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting a new one installed Wednesday. Rock hit windshield and caused a Starburst crack about the size of a silver dollar. New windshield is OEM with Ram logo on passenger side and Mopar on driver side. I'll post after install.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I forgot to update my calendar. My new windshield is not being installed until Tues 8/31. I'll post then.

BowDown

Reaction score
Mine was replaced last Friday with a new OEM by safelite, looks perfect, same as the original.
Had it ceramic tinted yesterday with Xpel Prime XR Plus 70%

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was replaced last Friday with a new OEM by safelite, looks perfect, same as the original.
Had it ceramic tinted yesterday with Xpel Prime XR Plus 70%
I'm thinking of tinting as well. Do you notice any distortion at all? Any chance you use polarized sunglasses?

OP - I had Safelite install an aftermarket windshield ( I was out of town and could not wait). Turned out perfectly. Don't be afraid of reputable aftermarket if it comes down to it.

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm thinking of tinting as well. Do you notice any distortion at all? Any chance you use polarized sunglasses?

OP - I had Safelite install an aftermarket windshield ( I was out of town and could not wait). Turned out perfectly. Don't be afraid of reputable aftermarket if it comes down to it.

With the Wincos I did. My shop has since switched to Xpel and the Prime XR Plus has none nor does it have the blue tint to it when looking at the windshield from the outside. I'd say the Xpel is superior to the Wincos and yes, I have polarized sun glasses and do not see the distortions through the windshield that I saw with wincos. It didn't bother me with wincos but it was there, its none existent with Xpel.

Also, those that claim no difference in windshield tint, wrong. The few days I drove with no windshield tint, I could feel the sun cooking my hand and the steering wheel would get hot; with the tint, nothing, no heat, no hot steering wheel

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
With the Wincos I did. My shop has since switched to Xpel and the Prime XR Plus has none nor does it have the blue tint to it when looking at the windshield from the outside. I'd say the Xpel is superior to the Wincos and yes, I have polarized sun glasses and do not see the distortions through the windshield that I saw with wincos. It didn't bother me with wincos but it was there, its none existent with Xpel.

Also, those that claim no difference in windshield tint, wrong. The few days I drove with no windshield tint, I could feel the sun cooking my hand and the steering wheel would get hot; with the tint, nothing, no heat, no hot steering wheel
I was told you should wait a little bit before tinting, did they give you that same warning? I have my replacement scheduled for tomorrow finally and will need to get my windshield re-tinted as wel. I had llumar air80 on it before with no noticeable distortion or anything but I want to go 50% ceramic this time I think.

BowDown

Reaction score
I was told you should wait a little bit before tinting, did they give you that same warning? I have my replacement scheduled for tomorrow finally and will need to get my windshield re-tinted as wel. I had llumar air80 on it before with no noticeable distortion or anything but I want to go 50% ceramic this time I think.

They told me to wait 4 days (24 hours before hand washing, 48 hrs before pressure washing), I did. Its only for letting the urethane windshield adhesive cure before a tint person is pressing on the windshield outward. I stayed at 70%, don't want any issues at night

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They told me to wait 4 days (24 hours before hand washing, 48 hrs before pressure washing), I did. Its only for letting the urethane windshield adhesive cure before a tint person is pressing on the windshield outward. I stayed at 70%, don't want any issues at night
Have 35% on my windshield, zero issues at night

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got new windshield. It's Mopar. Looks like a very clean install. No visible defects. Have not driven any highway speeds yet but did get up to 60 and no noticeable changes in wind noise. So far so good.

dreinert

Reaction score
I had a rock chip mine today smacking the middle of my sight line. I have a 2019 limited with the camera; did you guys have to get it recalibrated or anything?

Fair price looks to be around $900?

thanks,

Dallas

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
I had a rock chip mine today smacking the middle of my sight line. I have a 2019 limited with the camera; did you guys have to get it recalibrated or anything?

thanks,

Dallas
Yes, on the recalibration.

Mine was replaced back in January on the other guy's insurance's dime and I can't remember the price.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Yes, on the recalibration.

Mine was replaced back in January on the other guy's insurance's dime and I can't remember the price.

thanks,

Dallas
Mine hasn’t been recalibrated yet as I have to go to the dealer for that and it still seems to be working fine.

BowDown

Reaction score

thanks,

Dallas

Yes when they replace the windshield, my invoice shows recalibration was 225 and the glass was 768

Capture.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread