5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield just cracked

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driving down the road the other day and POP! The windshield was not hit by anything either then or prior to that. It was sunny and maybe 80 degrees out and I had the AC on. The crack was L shaped about 8 inches long total and to the right of the rear view mirror on the passenger side. Went home and parked it then came back an hour later and the crack was all the way across the windshield to the bottom drivers side corner. It cracked like someone was walking on thin ice!

It seems odd to me and the more I think about it I think it was installed wrong or under too much pressure and finally the temperature variation caused it to finally go.

Anyone else have something similar happen?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That sounds like a possibility, do you nave a picture of it? If there is no obvious strike, you should have no issue with the dealership warranty.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sounds like a possibility, do you nave a picture of it? If there is no obvious strike, you should have no issue with the dealership warranty.
My insurance covers glass so its zero cost to me. I just find it weird that it happened without any sort of rock or debris hitting it.

Maconi

Reaction score
My insurance covers glass so its zero cost to me. I just find it weird that it happened without any sort of rock or debris hitting it.

Nothing with insurance is free. I'd see if the dealer would cover it before I asked insurance about it.

There have been other people report windows randomly breaking if you search the forum. Not sure if how common it is though.

U

User_3336

I had to have mine replaced in a previous RAM. Some dumb butt hit it with a golf ball at a nursing home which is beside a gold course.
It cost me my deductible. They wanted SAFELITE to replace it, so I okayed it. I specificed ORIGNAL OEM ONLY (Ram logo in the corner).

It did end up costing my my deductible $250. The insurance paid the other $500 of the claim. Total replacement for OEM windshield was $750!!!!!!!

U

User_3336

If you heard a "POP" something musta hit it whether you seen it or not.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a pano / sunroof? I’ve read a few threads where the pano roofs were prone to windshield cracks on the right hand side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zogg44

Reaction score
Mine cracked sitting on the dealer's lot (used). I can't remember where it was (getting old sucks) but my daughter says it was on the driver's side. It was definitely noticeable. And I do have the pano roof, a feature I could have lived without to be honest.

Rob3

Reaction score
I had this issue. Not quite as extreme. I had a crack form at the base below the wiper. The crack grew about 16 inches. I took it to the dealer (still under warranty). The dealer took photos, Chrysler reviewed and they replaced it.....there was no strike to cause the issue, it was an internal failure. I guess there was to much pressure.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you heard a "POP" something musta hit it whether you seen it or not.
In my 46 years of driving I have ruined my share of windshields so I know the deal on how most of these happen. This one was definitely not hit or struck by anything.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
****UPDATE****The window tech replaced my windshield yesterday and said that it looked like the window broke from body flex. He said its not as uncommon as people would think because they are installed at the factory by machines and once they are glued you cant really do a quality check. He also said something I never knew. He said you cant install a windshield if the vehicle is on a lift because of the body flex it needs to be on the ground. Learn something new every day!

M3Master

Reaction score
****UPDATE****The window tech replaced my windshield yesterday and said that it looked like the window broke from body flex. He said its not as uncommon as people would think because they are installed at the factory by machines and once they are glued you cant really do a quality check. He also said something I never knew. He said you cant install a windshield if the vehicle is on a lift because of the body flex it needs to be on the ground. Learn something new every day!
Did they re-calibrate your electronics? The camera in the windshield...(lane departure/360 view/park assist...whatever it does).

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did they re-calibrate your electronics? The camera in the windshield...(lane departure/360 view/park assist...whatever it does).
It was replaced with the exact same factory windshield as was in it before (Ram logo in the passenger side corner). Everything works like it did prior to the new windshield.

gwarrior4u

Reaction score
I had mine done and Safelite had to take the truck for a drive with their code scanner attached and recalibrate the electronics. (Took 15 or 20 minutes). Have tested everything and so far it seems fine. (hasn't rained, so not sure about the rain sense wipers, may take it to a car wash to test)

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Has happened to me. I have one passenger side coming down from very top.i took a look and no rock chip. I have glass coverage so I’m not that bothered. But crack just showed up and got very big quick.

SzymiRam@2019

Reaction score
It happened to me few days ago. I was trying to find if there was a rock or something else, but couldn’t find it. Went to dealership, and they found it right the way. They showed it to me, so I didn’t even fight anymore. Did the replacement at the dealer, it cost me $900 (Canadian).

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/