5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Cracks Again

Hntopper

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. Got the vehicle in December 2018, so this is my 2nd winter with the truck. In February 2019, my windshield cracked due to severe temperature issue and use of the defroster. Had to have the windshield replaced and had several issues having that done due to limited availability of the part, as well as calibration of the forward facing cameras. Got that completed, but then in October of 2019, got two more cracks in the new windshield. Had those cracks fixed via Safelite. Came out again this morning to come to work, and have a 3rd crack in the windshield. Not how this one happened but my guess is that the entire windshield will need to be replaced. I'm 47 years old, been driving since I've been 16, and up until last year, only ever had 1 windshield that got a chip in it. My belief is that is not simply a coincidence or bad luck, but something either with the windshield being to thin, structural not very strong, or the angle of the windshield makes it more susceptible to breakage. But this is crazy. Has anyone else experienced this?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not in my Ram, I’ve had it over a year now, but I had similar issues with my 17 F-150 and had the same thoughts as you concerning angle and glass composition.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. Got the vehicle in December 2018, so this is my 2nd winter with the truck. In February 2019, my windshield cracked due to severe temperature issue and use of the defroster. Had to have the windshield replaced and had several issues having that done due to limited availability of the part, as well as calibration of the forward facing cameras. Got that completed, but then in October of 2019, got two more cracks in the new windshield. Had those cracks fixed via Safelite. Came out again this morning to come to work, and have a 3rd crack in the windshield. Not how this one happened but my guess is that the entire windshield will need to be replaced. I'm 47 years old, been driving since I've been 16, and up until last year, only ever had 1 windshield that got a chip in it. My belief is that is not simply a coincidence or bad luck, but something either with the windshield being to thin, structural not very strong, or the angle of the windshield makes it more susceptible to breakage. But this is crazy. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sorry to hear. You may not want to hear this, but It may just be coincidence/bad luck.
If this was a design issue, we would have heard about it already.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know I’m jinxing myself but my windshield has been fine and it’s on its second winter and has also take some decent highway stones at speed without even a chip.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Not in my Ram, I’ve had it over a year now, but I had similar issues with my 17 F-150 and had the same thoughts as you concerning angle and glass composition.
If there's something wrong with the glass/plastic formulation, depth or angle of the glass you'd think we'd be hearing more about this on the forum. It doesn't seem to be a common occurrence though so that throws the hypothesis into question.

Got this off the FordTruckEnthusiast forum, talking about a 2019 F350 with glass cracking: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1580174-brand-new-2019-f350-windshield-crack.html
Begin quote: "I’m sorry to hear of your misfortune. Take a ball-point pen and run it along the crack (very gently) from the highest point of the crack on the glass to the lowest (letting gravity do its thing). It should flow along the edges of the crack. If there is a point of initial impact, the pen tip will stop in it. I have seen this method used successfully to identify point of impact on many cracks that appeared to have no outside influence. If you do this and find no point of impact , you may have a chance to have warranty coverage if your dealer submits for authorization. (Glass almost always requires special auth) If there is a point of impact found, they will likely recommend calling your insurance or paying out of pocket. Hope this helps." End of quote

Reaction score
I would get a local independent glass shop to fix it next time. Safelite is not the best installer. They are very much a hit or miss depending on which installer happens to do your install. Their business is based on doing the repair FAST, as opposed to doing it well.

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Reaction score
I am on 2nd winter with mine and no problems and its been cold here a few times, -30C without the windchill.

blubyu

Reaction score
I experienced this last night driving home in my 2020 Laramie. Windshield just popped right at the roof line about 6" over on the drivers side. There was no impact of anything and no mark at all from old damage, flat out just cracked for no reason.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I experienced this last night driving home in my 2020 Laramie. Windshield just popped right at the roof line about 6" over on the drivers side. There was no impact of anything and no mark at all from old damage, flat out just cracked for no reason.
Thin glass, stress cracks. It happens, sucks though.
Hope that you have good glass coverage.
Try and get RAM windshield, not off brand, especially if you have the sensors in the windshield etc. There's at least 4 other thread about windshields.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It may not be any fault with the glass, but with excessive flexing of the body in the roof/cowl area. I use to see this quite often on Chevy S10s as they got older. Or, had any problems with a neighbor recently?

This is the only report I've seen of this problem so I doubt it's a design issue, either with the body or the glass assembly.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030019 miles.

blubyu

Reaction score
Thin glass, stress cracks. It happens, sucks though.
Hope that you have good glass coverage.
Try and get RAM windshield, not off brand, especially if you have the sensors in the windshield etc. There's at least 4 other thread about windshields.
I searched to make sure mine wasn't a one off issue, that is what lead me to this old thread as I chimed in on the other ones as well. Love forums over FB for this type of documentation.

Mr_Leday

Reaction score
I also have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I got a crack in the windshield no more than a month after owning the vehicle so I wanted to get it fixed ASAP. I had Safelight repair it with an OEM window and a whole 2 days later I got another crack in the windshield. I wasn't ready to pay another 495$ deductible to have it replaces so I decided I would just deal with it for a while. I now have 2 other chips/ cracks in my window. There is definitely an issue with the windshields on these trucks!

bpwj76

Reaction score
I drive about 50 miles on the interstate round trip every day to/from work. I had a 2012 F150 that I drove on the same route every day for about 2 years and not a single crack or chip. I've only had my RAM for 6 months and I already have two deep chips and one long crack right in my line of sight.

BowDown

Reaction score
Has to do with the rake of the windshield. I am also considering if the glass is weak but I've seen broken windshields on every make of truck on the road, just seems to be where you're driving.
Every rock chip I've had has been when I was on the highway, none while driving around town so I'm inclined to believe its "where" and not the glass.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I also have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I got a crack in the windshield no more than a month after owning the vehicle so I wanted to get it fixed ASAP. I had Safelight repair it with an OEM window and a whole 2 days later I got another crack in the windshield. I wasn't ready to pay another 495$ deductible to have it replaces so I decided I would just deal with it for a while. I now have 2 other chips/ cracks in my window. There is definitely an issue with the windshields on these trucks!
There’s no issue. Just happenstance.
I drove mine in Houston traffic and several trips to Florida with zero issues for two years. It’s just a luck of the draw when you get hit by a rock etc.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I've been driving mine daily for over 2 years now and have had my windshield hit with a couple stones on the highway without any chip or crack .

RC Turner

Reaction score
About a month ago I was on the highway at 65 MPH when a large stone hit the windshield hard. It left a small mark by the top of the windshield but nothing else. This windshield seems to be every bit as strong as any others I have owned.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Just got to the church parking lot this morning to attend 8:30 am Mass. Just as I was getting ready to exit the truck, I noticed a 6 inch crack at the rear view mirror heading towards the passenger side. 2019 Laramie Longhorn.

No chips anywhere. It looks like a stress crack.

Because of the year avd a half of problems I had with this truck after delivery, FCA gave me the 8 year bumper to bumper warranty. I hope it covers the windshield stress crack.

If not covered by warranty, I'm getting rid of this thing. It's been nothing but trouble since day 1.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I will say this, I had a 2015 F150 and any rock crack, even a 1/4" one, would become a foot long crack overnight. I never seen that before, I have unrepaired cracks on my old cars for years and they never got bigger.

Luckily, I've been really fortunate on my 2019 RAM, I haven't gotten any cracks or even a large chip. Just a tiny nick away from my field of view, I've been actually impressed with the durability of my windshield so far.

Though that could just be the luck with this windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread