5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield crack

RAM1369!

Reaction score
Question for the forum,
I'm out on vacation, down in deep south Texas. So we're on the road and all of a sudden I look over to the passenger side windshield from the top and I notice a crack. The wife reaches over and it's on the inside, never heard or saw anything hit it. It traveled about 6 inches in an hour. Would a replacement be covered dealer warranty, which I still have? Thanks

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Question for the forum,
I'm out on vacation, down in deep south Texas. So we're on the road and all of a sudden I look over to the passenger side windshield from the top and I notice a crack. The wife reaches over and it's on the inside, never heard or saw anything hit it. It traveled about 6 inches in an hour. Would a replacement be covered dealer warranty, which I still have? Thanks
Can't tell you where to go to on the forum but you are not the first to experience this.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Question for the forum,
Perhaps, specially if it‘s on the inside. It can’t hurt to go to your dealer when you return home and see what they say.

Depending on trim you have (can’t tell, so btw pls update your sig), be prepared to shell out a pretty penny for a new windshield, specially if you have an upper trim with adaptive cruise/collision sensor. I had to replace mine due to a rock chip a couple of months ago, and the OEM windshield cost close to ~$1,300 from Safelite (of which $250 was for the calibration of the sensor).

If you think that’s high, dealer quoted me ~1,800, which made Safelite seem like a bargain... :oops:

Burnzie

Reaction score
I really doubt you can Warranty a cracked windshield, that's what insurance is for.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Check with the dealer, maybe it was caused by a pressure crack due to incorrect installation, especially if you can feel it from the inside.

If not, then your insurance should pay for it, some states have zero deductible on glass.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Check with the dealer, maybe it was caused by a pressure crack due to incorrect installation, especially if you can feel it from the inside.

If not, then your insurance should pay for it, some states have zero deductible on glass.
^^^ This ^^^

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Perhaps, specially if it‘s on the inside. It can’t hurt to go to your dealer when you return home and see what they say.

Depending on trim you have (can’t tell, so btw pls update your sig), be prepared to shell out a pretty penny for a new windshield, specially if you have an upper trim with adaptive cruise/collision sensor. I had to replace mine due to a rock chip a couple of months ago, and the OEM windshield cost close to ~$1,300 from Safelite (of which $250 was for the calibration of the sensor).

If you think that’s high, dealer quoted me ~1,800, which made Safelite seem like a bargain... :oops:

You paid that out of pocket? Shouldn't your car insurance cover the repair?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have zero deductible glass with Progressive.

Gotcha, I thought you were quoting your costs, but it was just the costs. Pretty pricey, wow, but its to be expected these days with so much tech attached to the windscreen.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had to replace a few over the years. Always liked the fact that FL has a statute for it.

627.7288 Comprehensive coverage; deductible not to apply to motor vehicle glass.—The deductible provisions of any policy of motor vehicle insurance, delivered or issued in this state by an authorized insurer, providing comprehensive coverage or combined additional coverage shall not be applicable to damage to the windshield of any motor vehicle covered under such policy.

A few other states have something similar.

Jako

Reaction score
Had to replace a few over the years. Always liked the fact that FL has a statute for it.

627.7288 Comprehensive coverage; deductible not to apply to motor vehicle glass.—The deductible provisions of any policy of motor vehicle insurance, delivered or issued in this state by an authorized insurer, providing comprehensive coverage or combined additional coverage shall not be applicable to damage to the windshield of any motor vehicle covered under such policy.

A few other states have something similar.
Can you buy specific coverage for windshields? In the land of Cuomo (NYS) it is additional.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Gotcha, I thought you were quoting your costs, but it was just the costs. Pretty pricey, wow, but its to be expected these days with so much tech attached to the windscreen.
Right. Although the insurance was going to pay for it, I still shopped around to get the best possible price. Almost feinted when I saw how much these things cost nowadays.

I even chose the generic option instead of OEM initially, but after putting that in, Safelite could not get it calibrated due to varieance in the stadia lines that must be perfect on the sensor portion, so they had to remove it and put the OEM glass in (and that one worked perfect BTW).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Can you buy specific coverage for windshields? In the land of Cuomo (NYS) it is additional.
In Texas you can apparently, as I have this, but it is insurance company-specific. I had Allstate for years, and they did not offer zero-deductible glass, so YMMV.

Jako

Reaction score
NYS - condolences accepted, born and raised, didn't drop my anchor here, but sure do feel like taking shore leave.
It gets worse. dumblasio is my mayor. He is so bad that I have no word to describe him, wife or behavior. So I now describe things that are so bad, contrary to logic and bad as a "dumblasio". I can't call him a clown, dumb a$$ or anything derogatory as that would be degrading to the term. You can thank michael bloombucks (I should be President because I'm a billionaire and I bought my way to NYC mayor) for buying his 3rd term (contrary to law and voice of the people) for getting dumblasio elected and the ruination of NYC.

Nothing like NYC politics, the moving company's statistics tell the story better than I can express.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It gets worse. dumblasio is my mayor. He is so bad that I have no word to describe him, wife or behavior. So I now describe things that are so bad, contrary to logic and bad as a "dumblasio". I can't call him a clown, dumb a$$ or anything derogatory as that would be degrading to the term. You can thank michael bloombucks (I should be President because I'm a billionaire and I bought my way to NYC mayor) for buying his 3rd term (contrary to law and voice of the people) for getting dumblasio elected and the ruination of NYC.

Nothing like NYC politics, the moving company's statistics tell the story better than I can express.
Sorry to hear.
I love, love, love NYC. My wife and I go every year to visit, stay at the Plaza, watch Broadway shows, etc.

Not anymore, at least not until that imbecile mayor opens the city back up, brings crime down like it used to be, and makes it worthwhile for tourism to flourish again.
1200 NYC restaurants out of business permanently and 89,000 Broadway people out of work in the last six months. Way to go dumblasio...

Jako

Reaction score
Sorry to hear.
I love, love, love NYC. My wife and I go every year to visit, stay at the Plaza, watch Broadway shows, etc.

Not anymore, at least not until that imbecile mayor opens the city back up, brings crime down like it used to be, and makes it worthwhile for tourism to flourish again.
1200 NYC restaurants out of business permanently and 89,000 Broadway people out of work in the last six months. Way to go dumblasio...
Thanks for your reply.
Sad statement for the greatest city in the world (I'm bias, though) and what happens when citizens take their vote for granted. This guy honeymooned in Cuba and thought he was presidential material. Well at least I think (pretty sure with some inside info) what they are smoking. Still wonder why politicians and teachers shouldn't be drug tested.

Users who are viewing this thread