5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window Tinting On The Ram

Kenny4

Reaction score
I seem to get an awful lot of direct sun through my drivers side window. I have some pre-cancer stuff on my arms from construction work through the years. Am thinking of doing one of the higher level UV blocking tints. Would like some feedback, ( pros/cons ) from those of you who have done this. If you post a pic please let us know what state your in and the % allowed. I'm in California and law says 70% but most do 35-50%. I think the rear factory is 15-20%. Also add what you had done and the price. Thanks

DeV

Reaction score
I did a full vehicle tint in ceramic.
70% on the windshield, 15 on the fronts, whatever he did on the rears and back to make them all match, a 5% sunstrip, and 70% on the sunroof(s)... makes a huge difference on heat

Attachments

• 20211016_094508.jpg
    20211016_094508.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 152

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had the driver and passenger side windows tinted with 15% Llumar Ceramic. I paid $180. Idaho allows 35% but I've never heard of it being enforced. It's a perfect match for the rear windows.

The place that installed my tint had a display where you could sample the heat transmission of infrared light though all of the tint products they offered. The ceramic tint definitely reduced heat transmission compared to standard tint.

The only con is it can be difficult to see out the side windows at night.

20211005_155606.jpg

GrinchKing05

Reaction score
I did a 20% ceramic window tint on all my windows except windshield and sunroof. Previously there was no tint on the front 2 windows and whatever came from the factory in the back, so the back is definitely darker now. Cut down on a lot of heat. The air conditioner actually seems to work now. I will add it makes it somewhat more difficult to see out at night. Shop I went to refused to do the sunroof and would only do a strip on the windshield.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
35% ceramic on the front windows, big difference in reducing heat.
One con is the rainbow colors when looking thru it with polarizing sunglasses, so a no go on the windshield.
edit: $ 160.00

shurik74

Reaction score
Definitely only ceramic I would recommend! Mine is all around, best thing to do in CA for sure.
- rear 5% on top of factory
- front 35%
- windshield 50%

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm in WA. Legal tint here is 24% for front seat side, rear seat side, and rear window. Windshield can't have any tint other than up to a 6 inch strip at the top. I did 20% on the front driver and passenger windows. It's a pretty close match to the factory stock tint (dye) on the rears.

Right front corner.jpg

Right side.jpg

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in central FL. I believe the legal limit here is like 30% on front doors and 15% for rear doors and back glass. I went with 15% ceramic film on everything but the windshield. The windshield is 80% ceramic film. I went with Llumar and can say that the pros will likely be similar across the board for most of us. Increased privacy, improved a/c efficiency, cooler interior, UV protection for both you and your interior, etc. I cannot think of any cons aside from the "potential" of being ticketed for illegal tint and that it may reduce your visibility while driving at night depending on how dark you go. I've never been stopped or ticketed for window tint here in FL. I know a couple of people that have received citations, and both of them were stopped for something entirely unrelated to the window tint. The tint law was enforced as a secondary issue.
32.jpg

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'm in central FL. I believe the legal limit here is like 30% on front doors and 15% for rear doors and back glass. I went with 15% ceramic film on everything but the windshield. The windshield is 80% ceramic film. I went with Llumar and can say that the pros will likely be similar across the board for most of us. Increased privacy, improved a/c efficiency, cooler interior, UV protection for both you and your interior, etc. I cannot think of any cons aside from the "potential" of being ticketed for illegal tint and that it may reduce your visibility while driving at night depending on how dark you go. I've never been stopped or ticketed for window tint here in FL. I know a couple of people that have received citations, and both of them were stopped for something entirely unrelated to the window tint. The tint law was enforced as a secondary issue.
View attachment 110811
A simple solution to avoid the secondary citation when you get pulled over...roll down your front windows until after the cop leaves. 🚨

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A simple solution to avoid the secondary citation when you get pulled over...roll down your front windows until after the cop leaves. 🚨
Back when I was running two layers of 5%, anytime a cop was behind me I would roll all my windows down. It didn’t matter if it was 20° outside, those windows were getting rolled down. The old timer cops in my area loved to give window tint repair orders.

on my truck now, I have 70% IR tint on the windshield and 20% on driver and passenger front windows.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
for the posters in california
"For 2021 the law requires that a reflected tint is not allowed on the first 4 inches of the windshield and front side windows and up to 70% of tint darkness is allowed in combination with factory-tinted windows. For the rear windows and back seat side windows, any tint darkness can be used."

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That seemed to work fine until the local cops decided to do a seat belt emphasis patrol. I didn't see the county cop in time to roll down my window. I was wearing my seat belt, but he couldn't tell because of the tint LOL. I was running with 5% tint at that time. It was already installed on the (used) vehicle when I bought it. $118 fine after the judge reduced it down from $180. I didn't even like it that dark. I just hadn't gotten around to getting the tint redone.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I figure the only cops that will care about illegal tint are the Idaho State Bulls. If I get pulled over by one, I'll do my best to hide them. If he cites me, I'll pay the fine.

Kenny4

Reaction score
for the posters in california
"For 2021 the law requires that a reflected tint is not allowed on the first 4 inches of the windshield and front side windows and up to 70% of tint darkness is allowed in combination with factory-tinted windows. For the rear windows and back seat side windows, any tint darkness can be used."

Do you or anyone chiming in have a picture of the windshield and/or the front windows with a 4" strip at the top. Thanks

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That seemed to work fine until the local cops decided to do a seat belt emphasis patrol. I didn't see the county cop in time to roll down my window. I was wearing my seat belt, but he couldn't tell because of the tint LOL. I was running with 5% tint at that time. It was already installed on the (used) vehicle when I bought it. $118 fine after the judge reduced it down from $180. I didn't even like it that dark. I just hadn't gotten around to getting the tint redone.
There's nothing worse than cops pulling people over for petty crap like that. I've been driving in CDA since I was 16 and I have probably been pulled over a dozen times or more and I've only been cited one time and that was by an Idaho State Bull.

Hopefully with all of the "defund the police" campaigns running rampant in this country, police departments decide to eliminate these type of patrols.

Users who are viewing this thread