5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window Tinting On The Ram

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently not everyone understood what he was saying/asking. Based on your response, it seems you think the question was obvious, but I apparently missed something.

I thought he was asking if there was tint on the front windows, because he was told there was not. The front does look un-tinted by comparison, but it is tinted on the front. The question says ".... the factory windows aren't tinted at all ...." and obviously the rear windows are so he must have been asking about he front. No? Is that not the logical conclusion to think the question was about the seemingly untreated front windows?

The other part of the question was asking if there was any UV protection to the factory tint. This is a pretty obvious question since it's specifically spelled out "... privacy glass that provides 0% UV protection ..." He was told correctly on that part as best I can tell since there are no markings to suggest it offers any UV protection. That applies to the seemingly untinted front and obviously tinted rear.

So what did everyone understand that that I missed? I'd certainly like to help answer the question if I can, although your response offered him no help if mine missed the mark. Or did I answer the question? I'm confused.

sessman

Reaction score
Apparently not everyone understood what he was saying/asking. Based on your response, it seems you think the question was obvious, but I apparently missed something.

I thought he was asking if there was tint on the front windows, because he was told there was not. The front does look un-tinted by comparison, but it is tinted on the front. The question says ".... the factory windows aren't tinted at all ...." and obviously the rear windows are so he must have been asking about he front. No? Is that not the logical conclusion to think the question was about the seemingly untreated front windows?

The other part of the question was asking if there was any UV protection to the factory tint. This is a pretty obvious question since it's specifically spelled out "... privacy glass that provides 0% UV protection ..." He was told correctly on that part as best I can tell since there are no markings to suggest it offers any UV protection. That applies to the seemingly untinted front and obviously tinted rear.

So what did everyone understand that that I missed? I'd certainly like to help answer the question if I can, although your response offered him no help if mine missed the mark. Or did I answer the question? I'm confused.
Sorry for the confusion. It is my understanding that "privacy glass" and "tint" are two different things (based on what my local tint shop told me). From the factory, none of the windows are tinted. The rears simply have privacy glass which makes them darker but provides no UV protection or heat reduction like tint does.

Hope that helps clear up my question!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would argue that, while the privacy glass doesn't provide UV protection, it does provide some heat reduction. I tested this out for myself before getting my windows tinted. I sat in the back seat with the sun shining on me for 5 minutes. Then I sat in the front seat for 5 minutes. It was much warmer in the front seat.

sessman

Reaction score
I would argue that, while the privacy glass doesn't provide UV protection, it does provide some heat reduction. I tested this out for myself before getting my windows tinted. I sat in the back seat with the sun shining on me for 5 minutes. Then I sat in the front seat for 5 minutes. It was much warmer in the front seat.
Yeah that makes sense...I guess my only point is that privacy glass should not be seen as identical to window tint nor should it be assumed they provide the same benefits.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently the confusion stems for the word "tint." I take things literally and have a hard time with implied meanings. My apologies that's the ASD rearing its ugly head.
I took tint as it's defined: "A - a slight coloration (hue), or B - any of various lighter or darker shades of a color (tinge)"
I didn't realize tint was considered something other than a hue/tinge of gray or black on the glass. To me "privacy glass" sounded like glass that's tinted only for privacy rather than UV protection.
Thanks for the clarification guys.

mikeru82, I think the heat thing makes sense too. I suspect it's no different than sitting under a shady tree rather than in the clear open field. You'll still be bombarded by UV, but at least it doesn't feel as hot. Seems logical enough.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. It is my understanding that "privacy glass" and "tint" are two different things (based on what my local tint shop told me). From the factory, none of the windows are tinted. The rears simply have privacy glass which makes them darker but provides no UV protection or heat reduction like tint does.

Hope that helps clear up my question!
This is what I was told by my tint guy.

sessman

Reaction score
Apparently the confusion stems for the word "tint." I take things literally and have a hard time with implied meanings. My apologies that's the ASD rearing its ugly head.
I took tint as it's defined: "A - a slight coloration (hue), or B - any of various lighter or darker shades of a color (tinge)"
I didn't realize tint was considered something other than a hue/tinge of gray or black on the glass. To me "privacy glass" sounded like glass that's tinted only for privacy rather than UV protection.
Thanks for the clarification guys.

mikeru82, I think the heat thing makes sense too. I suspect it's no different than sitting under a shady tree rather than in the clear open field. You'll still be bombarded by UV, but at least it doesn't feel as hot. Seems logical enough.
I see what you mean and think your definition of "tint" as a color is accurate.

When we all say "tint" I think we all are actually referring to additional window "film."

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Roger that. Thanks.
In which case, the tint guy was right. The OEM glass doesn't seem to have any UV film, it's just colored glass.

Kenny4

Reaction score
What is the perforated area around the mirror and the edge of the windshield? Is it in the glass or on it? And do they tint over it or up to it? Thanks

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's on the glass. If you run your finger along it you can feel the transition from dots to clear glass. It's similar on the rear window of most cars and SUV's. Most tint applications overlap it a bit but it depends on the installer.

Users who are viewing this thread