5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window Tint PCM Issue

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
so what do you call the reds states that have near the same restrictions????
I'm not the one who made it political, he called them commie states, and since my state doesn't allow it, I said mine was one of those commie states he must have been talking about.

6of36

Reaction score
I see there are only 3 states worse than Michigan. I also see, only 3 states allow the windshield.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I got the windshield tinted to keep out UV rays. It's a very light tint and barely noticeable. I've had skin cancer issues and every little bit helps.
That's my plan too.
Laminated glass already blocks 98%+ of UV rays, which includes your windshield and both front door windows - tint is not required unless you want it darker and/or more heat rejection. The sunroof and rear windows are only tempered glass, so they should block UVB but not UVA.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Michigan any tint on the windshield is illegal, more than 4" from the top. Same with front windows. Anything in front of the driver's seat back.

That's even more ridiculous than the states the don't allow any tint on the front side windows. :rolleyes:

Michigan Tint.jpg

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in NYS and tint is illegal...yet I and many others tint. I think I did factory match all around in ceramic and did the windshield. I did this in both trucks. The tint I have on the windshield is good for glare...no sun glasses...but doesn't seem as good at heat rejection as the sides. Either way I don't worry about it and always tint.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I'm in NYS and tint is illegal...yet I and many others tint. I think I did factory match all around in ceramic and did the windshield. I did this in both trucks. The tint I have on the windshield is good for glare...no sun glasses...but doesn't seem as good at heat rejection as the sides. Either way I don't worry about it and always tint.
only the windshield is illegal. according to this.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
only the windshield is illegal. according to this.
That site is incorrect. I checked with a Sheriff in the County I'm going to move to and windshield tint is legal in TN to 70% VLT.

Here's 2 sites:
AND

Summarize:

Window tint darkness in Tennessee​

The percent of visible light allowed through your car windows is called VLT: Visible Light Transmission.

The percentage of light allowed through your film and glass in Tennessee is very specific and different for sedan cars and SUV cars or vans.

Tint darkness for sedans:​

• Windshield: Must allow more than 70% of light in; any darkness on AS-1 line.
  • Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
  • Back Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
  • Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Tint darkness for SUV and vans:​

vincentw56

Reaction score
USDOT states that windshields can be tinted legally as long as 70% VLT is maintained.

Doesn't matter what they say. It is overridden by local laws.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because the only time an officer is going to say something is when they need to make up an excuse for pulling you over for no reason.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what they say. It is overridden by local laws.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because the only time an officer is going to say something is when they need to make up an excuse for pulling you over for no reason.
I got one of these. Also, the tint meters 99% of LOEs have to check tint don't work on the windshield, so it's easy to get that ticket thrown out. Just have to ask in court what the measured tint percentage was when they stopped you

6of36

Reaction score
That site is incorrect. I checked with a Sheriff in the County I'm going to move to and windshield tint is legal in TN to 70% VLT.

Here's 2 sites:
AND

Summarize:

Window tint darkness in Tennessee​

The percent of visible light allowed through your car windows is called VLT: Visible Light Transmission.

The percentage of light allowed through your film and glass in Tennessee is very specific and different for sedan cars and SUV cars or vans.

Tint darkness for sedans:​

Tint darkness for SUV and vans:​

AS_1 line is the line that the factory tints. So you can not tint your windshield below that. Only 3 state allow entire windshield.

6of36

Reaction score
Understood. TN is one of those States that allows it.
Only on the AS_1 line. At the beginning it says it's allowed, then lower it says how. On the AS_1 line means only the top. I don't care if you tint it or not, but that's the way it reads.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only on the AS_1 line. At the beginning it says it's allowed, then lower it says how. On the AS_1 line means only the top. I don't care if you tint it or not, but that's the way it reads.
Sorry, I disagree. It reads: "It is unlawful to apply any material that"..."With the exception of the manufacturer's standard installed shade band, reduces the visible light transmittance in the windshield below seventy percent (70%)."

In other words, it is unlawful to reduce the VLT below 70 on the windshield (not counting above the AS-1 line). Therefore, the entire windshield can be tinted to 70.

Before I got my tint, I checked with the Sheriff in the County that I'm moving to and he informed me putting 70 on my windshield was legal.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I disagree. It reads: "It is unlawful to apply any material that"..."With the exception of the manufacturer's standard installed shade band, reduces the visible light transmittance in the windshield below seventy percent (70%)."

In other words, it is unlawful to reduce the VLT below 70 on the windshield (not counting above the AS-1 line). Therefore, the entire windshield can be tinted to 70.

Before I got my tint, I checked with the Sheriff in the County that I'm moving to and he informed me putting 70 on my windshield was legal.
FWIW, 70@% would be almost undetectable by the naked eye on your windshield

6of36

Reaction score

You are right. I guess I can read it both ways, sort of depending the emphasis of each word. It seems like they always word laws to make them confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread